Eggs And Budwig Diet

Pugmum

Hi all,

Todays paranioa that I am not doing all I could be, as well as I could be, is eggs. Should I give my chemo girl raw eggs still ? and, do you give them the yolk and the whites or just the yolk ?, I have always given both in the past....

I usually mix the raw egg with some yogurt, then divvy it up between my two pugs over two mornings, once a week. So, essentially they get 1/4 of an egg each, two days in a row.

is that the right thing to do ?

also, if anyone mixes flaxseed oil with cottage cheese (Budwig diet) how do you mix such small quanities properly?

thanks

Brigitte

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

Todays paranioa that I am not doing all I could be, as well as I could be, is eggs. Should I give my chemo girl raw eggs still ? and, do you give them the yolk and the whites or just the yolk ?, I have always given both in the past....

I usually mix the raw egg with some yogurt, then divvy it up between my two pugs over two mornings, once a week. So, essentially they get 1/4 of an egg each, two days in a row.

is that the right thing to do ?

also, if anyone mixes flaxseed oil with cottage cheese (Budwig diet) how do you mix such small quanities properly?

thanks

Brigitte

Hi Brigitte,

If she was my dog, I would not give her raw eggs anyway. Raw eggs contain avidin which depletes the liver of biotin. Just boil the egg, this will help and you still can benefit of the protein of the egg.

I give my dogs the Budwig diet every day and get asked so many times about the right amounts, so I decided a while ago to write it down. I hope it is ok to place a link for information here: http://animalconnection.com.au/index.php/t...udwig-diet.html

All the best for your dog!

Dagmar

Thank you Dagmar!

I have been having so much grief about how to mix such small amounts - everything I saw said use an imersion blender - well, I couldn't find one small enough. So I ahve been usiny my normal 'beater' type mixer with just one beater attached and it seems to work fine. I see thats what you use too so thats a relief :doh:

I have been using german cottage cheese (Quark) and it seems to mix in very easily as it is a totally different consistency to the other cottage cheeses. I dont use a low fat version (I think this is about 9%) as I'm trying to keep Maggie on a high fat diet. Is it okay - or do I have to use low fat cottage cheese ?

I also put in a tad more cottage cheese than the 2:1 ratio - would it matter as long as she gets the right amount of flaxseed oil ?

I give it to her once a day, and some to my other pug - they polish the bowels they love the stuff. I have tried it, its not bad :heart: Would look awfully strange if someone looked in the window and saw me put a spoon in the dog bowls then eat some myself :(

Thanks for the info on the eggs too - much appreciated.

Brigitte

Thank you Dagmar!

I have been having so much grief about how to mix such small amounts - everything I saw said use an imersion blender - well, I couldn't find one small enough. So I ahve been usiny my normal 'beater' type mixer with just one beater attached and it seems to work fine. I see thats what you use too so thats a relief :doh:

I have been using german cottage cheese (Quark) and it seems to mix in very easily as it is a totally different consistency to the other cottage cheeses. I dont use a low fat version (I think this is about 9%) as I'm trying to keep Maggie on a high fat diet. Is it okay - or do I have to use low fat cottage cheese ?

I also put in a tad more cottage cheese than the 2:1 ratio - would it matter as long as she gets the right amount of flaxseed oil ?

I give it to her once a day, and some to my other pug - they polish the bowels they love the stuff. I have tried it, its not bad :heart: Would look awfully strange if someone looked in the window and saw me put a spoon in the dog bowls then eat some myself :(

Thanks for the info on the eggs too - much appreciated.

Brigitte

I tried the blender myself before, it did create a different consistency, but was so hard to clean! So I am using the normal mixer now and it works fine.

I think I would prefer low fat cottage cheese or quark (both are fine), and add the fat in her diet in a different way. You want to add good fats and another option would be to add cod liver oil or fish oil to her food? With the flaxseed oil in the cottage cheese mix she should have plenty of good oils.

What supplements and medications is she on? And what do you feed?

You also ask about the ratio, I would stick to the recommended amount of Prof. Budwig, she was THE oil expert and if you do a bit of research about her you will find out that she picked especially those cancer patients which were hopeless cases and she had a success rate of I believe 95%, so she knew what she was doing.

I actually love the taste myself and I always prepare more than I needed and eat some myself (not out of the dog's bowl though LOL)

Dagmar

Thanks Dagmar,

I have started tomake sure I have the ratio just right ;) and I agree that it does not taste half bad.

I looked at the Budwig diet before I bought the flaxseed oil and saw that the results for people were good, but I did not expect that same for the dog as it also recopmmended a vegetarian diet.

Maggie is having chemo so raw food is out for her. she eats twice a day,

Morning : flaxseed/cottage cheese, small amount of apple, pureed brocolli/pumpkin mix (with some kelp) organic chicken, yogurt, Psyilluim husk/unprocessed bran, almond meal, and a sardine twice a week, scrambled egg twice a week. I also try to include a few parsley leaves.

Evening : yogurt, brocolli/pumpkin mix, fish oil (1000mg) organic chicken, ~6 pieces of kibble (Hills CD) cooked liver 3 times a week, Pysillium husk/bran (on week after chemo) and a rotation of other oils( Oilive, peanut, canola, sesame) parsley leaves

As well as that she has chicken jerky, pegetables and buster brownie (liver treats) as treats and to make sure she gets to use her teeth for some good chewing.

Oh - and essiac tea an hour before each meal, i mix it with a bit of broth made from boiled chicken necks.

Theres probably other stuff I have forgotten, but thats about it ;) I hope that i've got all her nutrition covered ?

Apart fromt he chemo she is only on Piroxicam once a day. She has Baytril if her white cell count goes waaaay too low (which it has two of the three times).

so far she has not lost condition - and she still really wants her food, but she is getting a bit pickier with what she wants to eat (used to love carrot ends etc and now just turns away)

we get a lot of tummy trouble from the chemo - not the usual sort, instead of getting the squirts, she blocks up hence the bran etc. SHe is due to have her fourth chemo this Thursday, I'm seriously considering cancelling as the first three have not been successful and it gives her so much tummy trouble. Ervey day I sway on the issue :laugh:

thanks for you help Dagmar,

Brigitte

Brigitte,

You are doing a great job there! And by what I am reading, you got yourself quite educated, well done.

A few little things I will add which might be helpful.

You mention she is getting a bit picky. Most important in a dog with cancer (I have one myself) is keeping her eating. I would not worry about the carrot so much (too much sugar in them anyway). But if she refuses to eat her food, there are a few tricks to make it more appealing to her. You are already adding diluted broth, which is good. Another idea would be to warm up the food a bit, it smells better. Some dogs love the smell of garlic, mine does, so I add just a tiny bit of garlic powder.

Regarding the Budwig diet, I am not saying the results for dogs are as good as for humans, as I do not know if there are any scientific reports about dogs on a vegetarian diet. But it definitely seems to make a difference. It has for my dog and many of my clients dogs and it doesn't hurt.

If she was my dog I would definitely add some Vitamins, at least Vit C and E.

Also a sprinkle of Turmeric over the food (contains curcumin) might inhibit the growth and spread of tumours and it has also been shown to decrease the side effects of chemo.

Good that you puree the veggies and also that you only feed organic chicken! Sardines are also good, I would take it easy with the parsley leaves as parsley is also a diuretic and you do not want to give too much.

Also, olive oil is good for the skin, but to my knowledge it has no positive effects for a cancer dog. I would stay away from peanut and canola oils, they are the worst oils, canola can quite often even be genetically modified. I do not have any information on sesame oil, does she really like it? I know it from Asian cooking, not sure my dogs would touch it! :-)

For her tummy issues with the chemo you could try Slippery Elm bark, mix with water (then you will know where it got its name from!) and feed at least 10 minutes before her meal. Some dogs love it and eat it without trouble, others are not so convinced, a bit of good honey added often helps. If not, it still can be mixed into the food, but better would be before the meal.

Any changes, make sure you check with your vet, so that it does not interfere with the chemo. I do not believe so, but it is always better to keep the vet informed anyway.

Dagmar

Thanks Dagmar,

I have started tomake sure I have the ratio just right :laugh: and I agree that it does not taste half bad.

I looked at the Budwig diet before I bought the flaxseed oil and saw that the results for people were good, but I did not expect that same for the dog as it also recopmmended a vegetarian diet.

Maggie is having chemo so raw food is out for her. she eats twice a day,

Morning : flaxseed/cottage cheese, small amount of apple, pureed brocolli/pumpkin mix (with some kelp) organic chicken, yogurt, Psyilluim husk/unprocessed bran, almond meal, and a sardine twice a week, scrambled egg twice a week. I also try to include a few parsley leaves.

Evening : yogurt, brocolli/pumpkin mix, fish oil (1000mg) organic chicken, ~6 pieces of kibble (Hills CD) cooked liver 3 times a week, Pysillium husk/bran (on week after chemo) and a rotation of other oils( Oilive, peanut, canola, sesame) parsley leaves

As well as that she has chicken jerky, pegetables and buster brownie (liver treats) as treats and to make sure she gets to use her teeth for some good chewing.

Oh - and essiac tea an hour before each meal, i mix it with a bit of broth made from boiled chicken necks.

Theres probably other stuff I have forgotten, but thats about it :rofl: I hope that i've got all her nutrition covered ?

Apart fromt he chemo she is only on Piroxicam once a day. She has Baytril if her white cell count goes waaaay too low (which it has two of the three times).

so far she has not lost condition - and she still really wants her food, but she is getting a bit pickier with what she wants to eat (used to love carrot ends etc and now just turns away)

we get a lot of tummy trouble from the chemo - not the usual sort, instead of getting the squirts, she blocks up hence the bran etc. SHe is due to have her fourth chemo this Thursday, I'm seriously considering cancelling as the first three have not been successful and it gives her so much tummy trouble. Ervey day I sway on the issue :(

thanks for you help Dagmar,

Brigitte

Hi Dagmar,

I give Maggie the sesame oil as its supposed to help get the omega 3 and 6 into the right balance - or so I read somewhere. The oils in general are to keep up the high fat side of her diet. I'll stop using the peanut and canola though as you suggest.

How do i get vitamins for Maggie - do I buy human vitamin C and E for her?

thanks

Brigitte

Hey pugmum

The avidin is only in the egg whites. You should give your dog soft boiled eggs because it's important to have the yolk raw (or runny) and the whites cooked. Poached is good too as long as you cook the whites only. You can still mix it with yoghurt - just allow it to cool down first :(

I'm another one who made Budwig for my dogs who had cancer and have ended up eating it myself so I make enough for all of us - i start by blending the cheese and flax oil with a hand blender, then, using a spoon I add honey/molasses, bananas or berries or whatever I have on hand that the dogs can eat and I also like, then I also freshly grind up some flax seeds for the lignans and throw that in as well. I love it but I find the dogs nag for more while I'm trying to eat my share so I rarely get enough of the stuff :rofl:

Hey pugmum

The avidin is only in the egg whites. You should give your dog soft boiled eggs because it's important to have the yolk raw (or runny) and the whites cooked. Poached is good too as long as you cook the whites only. You can still mix it with yoghurt - just allow it to cool down first :hug:

I'm another one who made Budwig for my dogs who had cancer and have ended up eating it myself so I make enough for all of us - i start by blending the cheese and flax oil with a hand blender, then, using a spoon I add honey/molasses, bananas or berries or whatever I have on hand that the dogs can eat and I also like, then I also freshly grind up some flax seeds for the lignans and throw that in as well. I love it but I find the dogs nag for more while I'm trying to eat my share so I rarely get enough of the stuff :hug:

Thanks Spottychick

At last a use for the egg cooker ! it has a 'soft' setting :) Honestly, there is so much you need to get up to speed on quickly when you find out your beloved little princess has cancer. I feel gutted for all the things I have not done correctly - like the eggs :mad

I have read a few people's comments about the honey and fruit into the cottage cheese/flaxseed mixture, why do you add them ? - I thought honey would not be good for Maggie (too much natural sugar? ) Maggie has some apple most mornings, should I also give her some berries (blueberries?) ? would it be okay to get frozen ones and just defrost a few a day ? That should help with the vitmin C wouldn't it.....

Brigitte

Hi Brigitte,

Ok, I do not know about that. If you can remember where you read it, it would be nice, if you could let me know. I am always interested in learning new things!

I see, you could use some cod liver oil or fish oil instead, I believe you are using fish oil already?

I always use human Vit E and C for my dogs, but I get the ester Vit C for them (it is not sour and does not cause diarrhoea).

The dog dosage is 100mg Vit C per 10lbs of body weight twice daily, and 100IU Vit E per 10lbs body weight twice daily.

Some people successfully also use Selenium, as I said before, better check with your vet before using it, I can tell you the dose, if needed.

I just thought you could also alternate the Essiac tea with Green tea (Camellia) as that as well inhibits tumour growth and stimulates the immune system.

Have you ever considered using some Australian Bush Flower Essences for immunostimulation?

Dagmar

Hi Dagmar,

I give Maggie the sesame oil as its supposed to help get the omega 3 and 6 into the right balance - or so I read somewhere. The oils in general are to keep up the high fat side of her diet. I'll stop using the peanut and canola though as you suggest.

How do i get vitamins for Maggie - do I buy human vitamin C and E for her?

thanks

Brigitte

Hey pugmum

The avidin is only in the egg whites. You should give your dog soft boiled eggs because it's important to have the yolk raw (or runny) and the whites cooked. Poached is good too as long as you cook the whites only. You can still mix it with yoghurt - just allow it to cool down first :hug:

I'm another one who made Budwig for my dogs who had cancer and have ended up eating it myself so I make enough for all of us - i start by blending the cheese and flax oil with a hand blender, then, using a spoon I add honey/molasses, bananas or berries or whatever I have on hand that the dogs can eat and I also like, then I also freshly grind up some flax seeds for the lignans and throw that in as well. I love it but I find the dogs nag for more while I'm trying to eat my share so I rarely get enough of the stuff :hug:

Thanks Spottychick

At last a use for the egg cooker ! it has a 'soft' setting :) Honestly, there is so much you need to get up to speed on quickly when you find out your beloved little princess has cancer. I feel gutted for all the things I have not done correctly - like the eggs :mad

I have read a few people's comments about the honey and fruit into the cottage cheese/flaxseed mixture, why do you add them ? - I thought honey would not be good for Maggie (too much natural sugar? ) Maggie has some apple most mornings, should I also give her some berries (blueberries?) ? would it be okay to get frozen ones and just defrost a few a day ? That should help with the vitmin C wouldn't it.....

Brigitte

Pugmum

Honey is okay in small amounts - quite good for them actually (unless they have an allergy) altho molasses (Blackstrap only) is very good too - a lot of natural animal supplements have that in them. I used to sometimes give my boy who had cancer Manuka Honey - medical grade - just a bit coz it's expensive and he'd just eat it right off the spoon.

But the honey is optional as are any other additions, I mostly added it because I was eating it too and I liked it with honey - but you can add that last if you want some LOL - after you've served theirs ;) Blueberries and apples are very good for dogs and especially for cancer fighting - most berries are good for that for the Vit C

I think frozen should be ok just make sure they havent added anything like syrup or sugar - I tended to try and rinse any of the extra juice off if I was suspicious of it but the berries are fragile so you have to be careful

Banana is good tho and almost any fruit except citrus. Just make sure you vary it a lot ;)

Thanks Spottychick

At last a use for the egg cooker ! it has a 'soft' setting :hug: Honestly, there is so much you need to get up to speed on quickly when you find out your beloved little princess has cancer. I feel gutted for all the things I have not done correctly - like the eggs :mad

Brigitte

You shouldn't feel bad - none of us know everything about nutrition etc and what matters is what you do once you know the facts. I'm sure everything you do for your dogs is done with love - and they'd know it too. I felt so angry when my boy got cancer (in his muscles - I couldn't save him in the end despite spending a fortune and all my best efforts) because I am so careful about their diet (or so I thought). But then so many things cause cancer - it most likely had nothing to do with me. But you can't help but feel you let them down eh!

Ok, I do not know about that. If you can remember where you read it, it would be nice, if you could let me know. I am always interested in learning new things!

I see, you could use some cod liver oil or fish oil instead, I believe you are using fish oil already?

/quote]

Hi Dagmar,

this is the article I read that made me put some sesame oil in Maggies food occasionally. Its supposed to also have a good amount of Vit E...

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/flaxseed.htm

Its not specific to dogs so if you dont think its appropriate let me know.

I have not been using the grounds seeds, but am chasing up a coffee grinder so I can start asap.

thanks

Brigitte

/quote]

Hi Dagmar,

this is the article I read that made me put some sesame oil in Maggies food occasionally. Its supposed to also have a good amount of Vit E...

I have not been using the grounds seeds, but am chasing up a coffee grinder so I can start asap.

thanks

Brigitte

Thanks for the link, sounds pretty interesting. So far I only knew about the benefits of sesame oil when applied to human skin, I definitely have to dig deeper into that. I could not find a source yet regarding the use of sesame oil in dogs, so I honestly cannot say if it is good or not.

Another good oil (which can be used in animals) would be coconut oil.

Aldi has very cheap coffee grinders at the moment, I believe about 15$. I use my coffee grinder only for the flax seeds and it works very well.

BTW - is your dog getting any Australian Bush Flower Essences? They work especially well in balancing the emotional side of things.

Dagmar

/quote]

Hi Dagmar,

thanks

Brigitte

Dont forget to try second hand shops when looking for a coffee grinder. I picked up a brilliant old electric one from a local 2nd hand place :thumbsup: Can't remember the brand name off-hand but a very good brand.