Dog Squad Ch. 7

Clyde

I'm interested to know trainers thoughts on the two security dogs tonight.

To my untrained eye, Tank seems, untrained, bordering on manic and I felt that his handler had trouble keeping him under control. It appeared to be an accident waiting to happen.

Isla on the other hand seemed in control, trained, no handler worries yet still absolutely able to perform her duties.

Thoughts?

Edited by Clyde

Was Tank the shephard barking inside the house at those teenagers? I had the feeling that the policeman was keeping it in that noisy/aggressive condition to frighten the young people and get them out of hiding. I've been around quite a few ex police dogs now working as security dogs and seen them transform within seconds after a command. Actually there was one who was a sooky la la in the house but once his work gear was on and he was in the back of the van you wouldn't go anywhere near him. Maybe they didn't show Tank getting a command or later getting a stand down alert.

I loved the Beagle who took the leaf to the bin!

Was Tank the shephard barking inside the house at those teenagers? I had the feeling that the policeman was keeping it in that noisy/aggressive condition to frighten the young people and get them out of hiding. I've been around quite a few ex police dogs now working as security dogs and seen them transform within seconds after a command. Actually there was one who was a sooky la la in the house but once his work gear was on and he was in the back of the van you wouldn't go anywhere near him. Maybe they didn't show Tank getting a command or later getting a stand down alert.

No that was Isla at the house with the teenagers. And who went into the house

Tank was with the officer who was trying to control the gatecrasher fight at the party

I also thought dogs were trained to do the bark/act scary thing as people are going to be much more scared of a barking/lunging dog than a dog that is sitting there quietly n calmly. I loved the show :D

Yep I get that and agree with you, that's why I think Isla still seemed like she did a good job - she did heaps of manic barking and so on. It was just the overall picture, body language of Tank and Tanks handler appearing to struggle..

both dogs did what they were trained to do the handler of tank would have given him his watch command straight up meaning that he is to activate and any one that comes close is fair game this is for the safety of the handler

once all the comotion of the crowd settled of gone away the dog would have been put away or given his relax command

the other shep did well and i was hoping to see the dog sent up the man hole because it is a interesting thing to done due to the way they trained

I think Tank's handler being on his own in a situation in which there was a weapon mentioned meant he was happier for Tank to be much more in their faces. No way I would have gone near Tank's handler! Tank's handler had to get the group inside and break up fights, the bitch's handler was just searching for people. They were doing different jobs.

The other guy with the bitch was dealing pretty much with kids.

But I am no dog trainer! Just my opinion. :D

This is how the Police GP dogs are trained they are used as Crowd dispersants, there was no control issues that i could see, its how they all worked when I have seen them and worked with them. My ex was a PDH and a Police Dog Trainer, trust me the handlers are in control!

The two situations were different thats why the dogs reacted they way they did, a dog as a weapon is an unknown and most people are unsure of the dog hence why the dogs are trainied to bark on command, even if another police officer roams to near the dog will bite, unfortunate but generally the police only get bitten once! lol

:D

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

To my untrained eye, Tank seems, untrained, bordering on manic and I felt that his handler had trouble keeping him under control. It appeared to be an accident waiting to happen.

Thoughts?

I thought the same thing, Clyde. The dogs that I have seen professionally trained for protection and security work exhibit a lot more self-control than what I saw in Tank.

At one stage I wondered if the tight lead was some sort of trained signal to the dog to behave as it was, to make it look as though the officer might not be able to control him, and make it all the more scarey to the villains. I could only think that, because I thought the dog's training would surely have been better than what it appeared to be.

I have seen this with some of the dogs in training that I have watched though, come to think of it.

Edited by Erny

Jed noted that both the beagle and gsp were docked, and fainted dead away. Revival with copious amounts of spirits was necessary.

I live in terror of going to an airport, the sniffer dog rushes up to me, and I get a full body search :)

enjoyable show though. Kids jumped out of the ceiling pretty fast when he said he's put the dog up there :D

Off topic - Watched crash scene investigation later. single vehicle accident ran off the road and into a tree. Driver was the only one in the car, killed.

Good samaritan stopped, phoned 000, got directions on what to do. Stayed until police/ambulance arrived. Immediately was a suspect, had his car searched for anything illegal, breath tested, mid range, charged with DUI, fined etc. His car was thoroughly gone over in case he somehow contributed to the accident.

Bet he simply keeps going next time he witnesses a bad accident. He was sober enough to phone 000, and to try to render assistance to the driver, he sounded 100% on the phone, and probably thought he was , but was booked.

That gave me a negative message, and I think I would simply keep driving.

both dogs did what they were trained to do the handler of tank would have given him his watch command straight up meaning that he is to activate and any one that comes close is fair game this is for the safety of the handler

once all the comotion of the crowd settled of gone away the dog would have been put away or given his relax command

the other shep did well and i was hoping to see the dog sent up the man hole because it is a interesting thing to done due to the way they trained

Ahh good someone that understands how the Police dogs actually work! Its hard to explain but thanks Cramet YOU have done it perfectly. I have man work notes somewhere here if I find them I can post them if anyone is interested in the manuals used to train for man work and General purpose work.

:D

Does anyone know if the episode is online anywhere?

I'd like to know too, I can't find it on 7's website :/

My stupid useless antenna decided it wasn't going to play ball tonight and I couldn't get a signal on ch7 and ran out of time to faff about with the stupid thing before I had to leave for training, so I didn't manage to record it as I'd planned :(

yeah I would agree with that clyde :nahnah:

I think it comes down to females having more of a level head

Tank seemed highly stressed and the handler didnt seem to show alot of control over him

He was doing crowd dispersal yes? Looked about right to me.

I'm interested to know trainers thoughts on the two security dogs tonight.

Isla on the other hand seemed in control, trained, no handler worries yet still absolutely able to perform her duties.

Thoughts?

The Police Dog is trained to act with menace and aggression in order to project authority and physical supremacy. It's a bit like a good cop, bad cop routine. The human Police Officer can make a deal with the criminal - "If you behave yourself, I'll control my furry buddy here... but if you don't then I think he might just take you down a notch". It's an impression deliberately manufactured for a specific psychological purpose. Pretty effective, huh? The fact that you were intimidated just watching him on TV means it's mission accomplished.