What's The Name Of That Oral Flea Stuff?

Erny

Capstar

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks :provoke:. Is this better/more effective than Capstar?

But question : The person I was speaking with has a friend in QLD with two dogs. She also has a flea infestation and the Advantix spot-on she's been using isn't working for one dog in particular, who is a Border Collie (bigger coat than her other dog).

She thinks the flea infestation is coming from the soil under her home and she wasn't sure the best way to treat that. She'll be blocking the dogs so they can't venture under there, but wants to eradicate the fleas from the ground.

Is this a job for a pest controller person? Any experience?

I think everyone here knows that I don't like using chemicals around dogs, but when there is a 'situation' then sometimes it is the better option. If she can knock off the fleas from under the house (assuming that's where they are breeding) then she might not have to use the drugs as much on her dogs.

Edited by Erny

Sentinel spectrum for fleas and worms?

That's the best one. :laugh:

Except that it only sterilizes and doesn't kill adult fleas and you need to buy another product if the dog gets adult fleas on them.

iv been researching for the better part of 2 days on comfortis.

i have a major infestation and everthing i try on my samoyed and husky just doesnt work.

i have read many posts even to the point of dogs dying from twisted stomaches and constant vomiting (majority in boxers, iv read they have very sensitive stomaches)

majority of what iv read is all positive, but adverse reactions have been noted.

posts from comfortis in the US

http://www.examiner.com/x-14505-Atlanta-Pe...d-death-in-dogs

comfortis website

https://www.elancopet.com.au/products/comfortis.cfm

i am still a little reluctant to try is as it hasnt fully been confirmed for use in males and females in regards to fertility and breeding, also am scared of any adverse reactions that could occur when im not home.

by far the cheapest is on ebay $20 less than the vets

hope this info helps

Fleas seem to be a big problem everywhere atm !!! There's been 2 recent threads about fleas :) We have almost got the worse of it under control. I've never experienced it as bad as this before! We now live in a coastal town which fleas seem to love ! :D

We had been getting them regularly sprayed with front line previously to them getting attacked.

Been giving them capstar tablets and flea combing them every day. Horrible things they are-fleas !

Thanks everyone. And Ruski18 .... I agree with you. I too harbour a great reluctance to having dogs ingest chemical drugs of any kind unless it is absolutely necessary and unless the risk/harm associated with it is worth the balance of bringing a dog back to comfort and health.

I have already passed on the other of the comments in this thread to my friend but I'll speak with him again and pass on the additional comments to him as well. He already knows that I err on the side of "no chemical treatments" but by the sounds of it, this flea infestation is pretty bad and is making the dog suffer.

Cheers

Erny

I’ve bought a pack of Comfortis but am too scared to use it. I have also been reading up on it and am not sure about the side effects, especially since another Doler posted that her dog was pretty queasy on them.

I’ve bought a pack of Comfortis but am too scared to use it. I have also been reading up on it and am not sure about the side effects, especially since another Doler posted that her dog was pretty queasy on them.

hey bub, if u do use comfortis please let me know how it goes.

thanks

hey bub, if u do use comfortis please let me know how it goes.

thanks

Sure, although I will admit I am very hesitant about them now that I have them.

• 2 weeks later...

i used the comfortis today on my husky and samoyed. they are both outside dogs so i couldnt see any dead fleas anywhere but we have a dog show next week and that will be the big test when i goto blow dry them and see if their is any fleas.

im very glad they have had no reactions at all to the pill :(