Your Favourite Lens

Bellatrix

I hardly use my 50mm 1.8. I'm not as into dog or people photos, although it's a great lens I find I'm not getting my use out of it. The lens I use the most is my Canon L 300mm f/4. It's a prime and super sharp. Has 2 modes of IS - one is perfect for taking photos from boats (it's a challenge due to the bobbing around in swells). It's a perfect length for wildlife such as seals, whales and birds (even a wild penguin let me get close enough the other week). I find I hardly need to use the 1.4 teleconverter on it and prefer not to as it slows down the autofocus and you only get one chance with a bird in flight or a whale diving. I love this lens but have now ordered a khaki cover for it as I don't like the way it stands out like dog's balls or the comments I get when it's spotted - it's not even big, I don't like the white colour.

eta: Even though it's nowhere near as fast as the 2.8 version, I was able to take a photo just before sunset, in shade and get away with ISO 200 as it lets you hand hold it at about 1/100 and still get a very sharp shot. Maybe I have steady hands but I was pretty surprised. I've also been able to get a sharp shot at 1/60 from it (when I'd accidently left my camera on the wrong setting). It's great.

Edited by Ripley