Another Rspca Cock Up!

Winterpaws

What the bloody hell happened here???

March 13 - Townsville News

RSPCA horse row

BROOKE BASKIN

March 13th, 2010

A BALGAL Beach woman who spent countless hours and thousands of dollars rehabilitating an RSPCA rescue horse has been told to pay $500 to keep the animal, or it will be taken from her.

Foster carer Siobhan McCabe nursed ex-racehorse Brandy back from the brink of starvation after the RSPCA rescued the mare from a Deeragun paddock last April.

When Ms McCabe asked the Townsville RSPCA shelter if she could keep the 10-year-old mare at her property she was told to pay the $500 adoption fee.

Ms McCabe suffered an ectopic pregnancy on Monday night and was rushed to Townsville Hospital for $6000 emergency surgery and a blood transfusion because her fallopian tube ruptured.

But when Ms McCabe said she needed more time to find the $500 fee, the RSPCA told her it would come and pick up the horse next week.

''I was just horrified,'' Ms McCabe said.

''They told me if I hadn't come up with the money within a week they would just come and get her.

''I'm devastated and so upset. We just love this horse and I want to give her a home for the rest of her life.''

Brandy was rescued from an abandoned paddock as a chronic windsucker, a condition which causes horses to lose weight because they puff themselves up with air instead of eating.

Ms McCabe said the mare had trouble gaining weight and regularly caught colic because her system was not used to proper food.

She said she had spent more than $5000 helping Brandy recover.

''When she first came to me she looked terrible,'' she said.

''Her coat was really dull and matted, she wasn't interested in anything, she tried to kick and she kept coming down with colic.

''If I was coming off the street, $500 to buy a horse is nothing, but I have invested so much emotional time to rehabilitate her.''

Townsville RSPCA shelter manager Caroline Shemwell rejected Ms McCabe's claims.

She said the organisation had never told Ms McCabe they would take Brandy from her if she didn't pay within the week.

Rather, Ms Shemwell said she was in contact with the RSPCA's head office to try to negotiate a lesser adoption fee for Ms McCabe.

''We're not going to go and pick up the horse unless she wants us to,'' Ms Shemwell said.

''I did offer that if she was having financial trouble then we could come and pick the horse up.

''If she would like the horse to stay there and if she can afford to feed it, we don't have a problem.''

Ms McCabe, who lives on a 76ha property with as many as 20 horses, said she was disheartened by the RSPCA's response.

''I have taken Brandy on with good intentions, as I have with dogs, other horses and even poddy calves,'' she said.

''For the RSPCA to turn around at the end of seven months and basically say ''either come up with the money or we're taking her'' was upsetting.

''She has wanted for nothing while she has been living with us.

''She's never going to be a riding horse, or be used for breeding, but we love her. We want her to stay with us.''

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

March 25

March 25th, 2010

A BALGAL Beach woman's battle to keep rescued ex-racehorse Brandy has been set back after the mare was taken from the property on Monday.

The 10-year-old horse was removed from its home by the RSPCA who told the horse's foster carer of seven months, Siobhan McCabe, they needed the animal for a pre-adoption vet check.

Ms McCabe nursed Brandy back to health after she was rescued from a Deeragun paddock in April last year, severely underweight and suffering from chronic windsucking and colic.

Brandy's carer came to the Townsville Bulletin earlier this month after the RSPCA allegedly threatened to take the animal unless she paid a $500 adoption fee within the week.

Yesterday, Brandy passed the RSPCA's vet-check with flying colours but is being kept in a paddock at the Townsville shelter for the next three weeks so staff can determine whether she is healthy enough for adoption.

But equine vet Margaret Preston, who has treated Brandy monthly since September, said she couldn't fault the care the horse had received from Ms McCabe.

''I do a run one day a month out to Balgal Beach and I just routinely have a permanent booking each month to go and check her,'' Ms Preston said.

''The horse is very well cared for and doesn't want for anything.

''And look, since I first started going out there I have seen continued improvement and slow, gradual progress.''

Ms McCabe said she had been kept in the dark about what was happening to Brandy and was frightened she wouldn't have an opportunity to see the horse again. ''I love her and I am happy to give her a home for the rest of her life,'' she said. ''But when I asked them would I ever see her again, they said 'oh, we don't know'.

''If she had to be monitored for three weeks, surely she would have been better off at home in a paddock she is used to and with horses she knows?''

Townsville RSPCA shelter manager Caroline Shemwell said Brandy was being kept near the shelter for observation and to make sure she didn't come down with colic before she was formally adopted.

She said Ms McCabe would be given the first opportunity to adopt the horse, although a number of other people in the community would be interested to know Brandy was up for adoption.

''Siobhan has expressed a lot of interest but Brandy has always had a lot of public interest from the very day she was seized,'' Ms Shemwell said.

''With most of the adoption animals we do the vet check and then it is first-in, first-served, although we have to take into consideration all the work Siobhan has done with the horse and she will be given first choice.''

Ms Shemwell said she would like to see the $500 adoption fee be 'significantly reduced' if Ms McCabe decided to take the horse permanently.

''We have been trying to negotiate a cheaper price and Siobhan is going to bring us all the receipts and a copy of her veterinary treatment,'' she said. ''It was never the intention to have her pay the full price.''

March 27 and head of RSPCA steps in but RSPCA is refusing money offered by papers

March 27th, 2010

THE head of RSPCA Queensland has stepped in to end the saga over rescued ex-racehorse Brandy by launching his own investigation into the fiasco.

RSPCA Queensland chief executive Mark Townend yesterday told the Townsville Bulletin he wanted to get to the bottom of the matter and ensure that Brandy went to a good home.

''I think it's one of those cases where it seems something has gone wrong right from the start and it has just kept happening,'' he said.

''If we haven't done the right thing and if there has been bad customer service on our side, we will fix it up.

''I want to see the horse go to a good home but we foster hundreds of dogs and cats and we have very few problems like this.

''I just don't know what has gone wrong with the horse in this case and until I have the facts I can't give you an answer.''

The charity has come under fire for its handling of the case, including turning down a $500 payment from the Bulletin on Thursday which would have ensured the former racehorse would return home to live with its foster carer of seven months, Siobhan McCabe.

The 10-year-old mare was removed from the Balgal Beach property by RSPCA staff on Monday afternoon for a 'pre-adoption vet check', which the horse passed with flying colours.

The animal is now in a paddock at a private Bluewater property for the next three weeks on the advice of a veterinarian who wanted the horse monitored for colic.

Ms McCabe nursed Brandy back to health after the animal was rescued from a Deeragun paddock in April last year, suffering from chronic windsucking and colic. She contacted the Bulletin earlier this month after the RSPCA allegedly threatened to take the horse unless she paid a $500 adoption fee within the week.

Ms McCabe's own vet Margaret Preston this week vouched for the care Brandy had received while living with her, saying it 'wants for nothing'.

* RSPCA REFUSES CASH

Mr Townend yesterday maintained he was not conducting an investigation.

''I'm not going to investigate Townsville - that sounds like a criminal investigation - I'm going to do what anyone would do and because I haven't been involved I will talk to the staff, talk to the vet and talk to Siobhan to make the best of both views and find out what has gone wrong,'' he said.

Former Townsville RSPCA shelter manager of five years Gail Lane said there were always challenges with working in an animal shelter, especially one the size of Townsville's; the second largest in the State.

''I know the staff who work there are there for the animals, because they love them and not because they want to inflict cruelty on them or anyone else,'' she said.

''It's a hard job and sometimes hard calls have to be made.'

April 3 and they finally get their shit togethor and the horse can go back where it has been lovingly restored to health

April 3rd, 2010

RESCUED former racehorse Brandy is set to return home to foster carer Siobhan McCabe next week.

RSPCA Queensland chief executive Mark Townend said the organisation's vet was happy with the horse's health and she would be ready for adoption after Easter.

He said Ms McCabe, who has been the 10-year-old mare's foster carer for the past seven months, would be given first choice to adopt the horse.

''Our vet says she will be right in a week,'' Mr Townend said.

''We just want to confirm with Siobhan's vet, Margaret Preston, that she is happy with the care the horse has had previously and then it will go up for adoption.''

Ms McCabe, of Balgal Beach, said she was delighted Brandy would be returning home.

''It's such a relief and we are really looking forward to getting her home, getting her settled and back into her routine again,'' she said.

''Thank you to everyone for all of your support, in particular the Bulletin and the general public, because it wouldn't have ended like this if it was just me fighting them alone.''

Mr Townend said the Townsville RSPCA shelter's staff had been under an enormous workload and that he had 'no doubt that the paperwork wasn't pointed out correctly' to Ms McCabe.

''Normally I don't get involved because they do a good job, but someone hadn't checked all the boxes,'' he said.

''We have had a few big animal seizures up in Townsville and I think that more than likely there has been a change of staff, some of the staff involved are no longer there and my understanding is Ms McCabe wasn't given any guidance on being a foster carer.

''At this point, we just want to move forward and get the horse going to a good home.''

Mr Townend decided to investigate the fiasco surrounding Brandy's ownership after weeks of poor management by the Townsville shelter.

The charity came under fire for its handling of the case, including turning down a $500 payment from the Townsville Bulletin which would have covered the adoption fee and ensured Brandy returned to Ms McCabe.

RSPCA staff removed the mare from Ms McCabe's property last Monday for a 'pre-adoption vet check', which the horse passed with flying colours.

Brandy will stay in a paddock at a private Bluewater residence over Easter, on the advice of the organisation's vet who wanted the horse monitored for colic.

Ms McCabe nursed Brandy back to health after the animal was rescued from a Deeragun paddock in April last year, very underweight and suffering from colic and chronic windsucking.

Ms McCabe contacted the Bulletin last month after the RSPCA allegedly threatened to take the horse unless she paid a $500 adoption fee within the week.

Ms McCabe's vet, Ms Preston, told the Bulletin Brandy had been well looked after and 'wanted for nothing' under

Ms McCabe's care.

Edited by Winterpaws

But no that doesn't happen and she is put down

April 13th, 2010

THE RSPCA remained tight-lipped yesterday as Townsville residents slammed its handling of the fiasco surrounding rescued former racehorse Brandy.

The Townsville Bulletin reported yesterday that 10-year-old mare Brandy was put down on Saturday night after being struck down by colic while under the care of staff at the RSPCA's Bohle shelter.

RSPCA Queensland media and community relations spokesman Michael Beatty refused to comment further yesterday.

* RSPCA PUT DOWN HORSE WITHOUT TELLING CARER

Tributes to the mare and her foster carer of seven months, Siobhan McCabe, have flooded the Bulletin's text lines and online web postings.

Many readers said they would refuse to make future donations to the RSPCA unless there was an inquiry, while others said they would definitely think twice.

Others called and texted to express their dismay with the RSPCA process and sadness at the animal's death.

One reader, Jan from Cranbrook, was so moved she dedicated a poem to the horse.

Brandy was removed from Ms McCabe's Balgal Beach property by RSPCA staff for a 'pre-adoption vet check' three weeks ago. The 10-year-old mare passed with flying colours.

More than a week ago, the organisation's chief executive Mark Townend said Brandy was healthy and would be ready for adoption back to Ms McCabe the week after Easter.

On Sunday Ms McCabe was told of the animal's death by the Bulletin, after she had attempted to contact the RSPCA throughout the day.

Ms McCabe was still devastated yesterday.

''We loved her and we took her on because we wanted to give something back,'' she said. ''We went into it for all the right reasons and we have just been utterly dismissed.

''There was no reason for this and if it wasn't for the arrogance they have displayed consistently throughout this whole thing, Brandy would still be here today.''

Ms McCabe nursed Brandy back to health after the animal was rescued from a Deeragun paddock last April, very underweight and suffering from colic and chronic wind-sucking.

Ms McCabe contacted the Bulletin a month ago after the RSPCA allegedly threatened to take the horse unless she paid a $500 adoption fee within the week.

Brandy was kept in a paddock at a private Bluewater residence for the past three weeks, monitored on the advice of the organisation's vet who wanted the horse watched for signs of colic. The horse was put down following consultation with a team of vets.

The 10 yr old horse, in Townsville, is reported to have suffered colic to the extent PTS was necessary....while in the RSPCA care.

I'd like to see the vet's report quoted on the horse's condition & decision taken.

I find Mark Townend CEO to be a fair-minded bloke & would expect he'd thoroughly investigate the incident.

No...it wouldn't affect my donating to the RSPCA but I can understand the depth of feeling. I recall my own deep concern when healthy tibbies were seized in Victoria.

A good reason why animal cruelty laws should be enforced by a public service, not a charity.

Edited by mita

For horses prone to colic, stress is a factor.

You wouldn't move a colic prone horse to a different location / feed routine / pasture

to monitor it for colic.

Er

great work by the RSPCA vet team yet again.

Like the typical RSPCA storyline, it goes from the bizarre to the ridiculous to tragic :laugh::thumbsup:

I am not surprised.

I felt sick when I read that, and it takes a bit.

My take on it, is that the carer spent $5000 getting the horse in good condition (probably more, if it took 7 months), the RSPCA tried to hit her up for a $500 adoption fee, she went to the paper, because she didn't have the dough, and thought it was grossly unfair. It was.

aRSePCA then got their skirts knotted, backpedalled as fast as they could, read "Mark Townsend", kept the horse as long as possible and knocked it off to have revenge on this poor person.

And serious revenge was sending the body to the dump. And if it is the "normal" dump, and not the dead animal dump, I hope someone reports them for a breach of health regulations. However, it does look like the dead animal dump.

Windsuckers are prone to colic, as they swallow air. Any stress exacerbates the windsucking, and it is possible for the horse to wear a strap to prevent it, plus if windsuckers are paddocked, they windsuck less, interact with other horses more, and graze more. Moving the horse from "home" to the RSPCA and into a sparse paddock would trigger an increase in windsucking, due to stress and exciting conditions for windsucking.

Treatment for colic caused by windsucking is fairly simple, and the outcome is normally very good.\

I hope the paper pays for an autopsy. The only reason to euth a horse with colic would be a twisted intestine, or something more complicated such as a pendulated lipoma. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if this horse was pm'd by an independent vet, there would be no cause for euthing found.

When I read that story, I wondered, when they wanted to keep it to check for colic, if they would bump it off.

Yep, sure did.

And - there can be NO monitoring for colic. A horse may go years without a colic attack, or have one a day for a week. "Monitoring for colic". What complete rubbish, either their vet is an idiot or was operating under orders.

What tripe and rubbish.

And people wonder why we want to get rid of them.

And Mita, once again, Mark Townend has proved that he is full of wind. He can't even manage his OWN organisation.

Yep, good organisation for ripping people off, harrassing breeders, putting out inflammatory and untrue "fact" on their website, not caring about animals, and even ripping off their own carers.

Good one :thumbsup:

Bit like Clifford, really. Just add it to the ever growing file, the blue chi, the arabians sold to the doggers, the horses in WQ, Ruth Downey, Rozzie, Judy Gard - and many many others.

Edited by Troy
text removed

And Mita, once again, Mark Townend has proved that he is full of wind. He can't even manage his OWN organisation.

And, Jed, once again, I find Mark Townend to be a fair-minded bloke. I'd expect he'd make a thorough investigation of this case.

As I said....I'd like to see the vet's report on the genesis of the horse's condition, treatment measures & reasons for PTS.

Edited by mita

When will people learn the R$PCA is no bloody charity :cry::champagne::thumbsup: there's no charity in them. :thumbsup: The only thing they care about is money. :thumbsup::3monkeys:

It's a wonder they didn't say poor Brandy turned aggressive just like poor Clifford the Pitbull :mad then just dump her at the tip, what a caring bunch of Bastards. :mad:mad:mad

This reminds me about the two pitbulls seized by BCC some years ago. They were in the Fairfield"shelter". The owner, who said they were not pitbulls, went public, with photos of the two dogs, friendly as you like with the baby and each other, on the front page of the paper.

I have no idea whether they were pitbulls or not. May have been, may not have been BCC decided they were, owner said they weren't.

Whatever they were, they were trustworthy with the family's kids, and got on very well with each other. Neither had been in any trouble for aggressive behavior. They were mother and son.

A short time after the article in the paper, one of the dogs scaled a sheer brick wall about 8 - 9 ft high, squashed itself into the tiny gap between the top of the wall and the roof, to the next kennel, where it's friend was, and killed it.

About as believable as this story, aRSePCA.