Mia - Our Baby Beagle Is Settling In.......

SeeGee

So we have had Mia with us for just over a week now. As previously mentioned, her mother was one of the pregnant bitches seized at Wondai - she was born at the RSPCA. She is a beautiful lemon and white, with gorgeous markings - a very true beagle - female, desexed, 5.5 months old - desexed at the RSPCA about a fortnight ago.

She is food agressive, and has so much excited energy that its endearing and volcanic at the same time.

We started off feeding her and Charlie separatly. I would put her food in her bowl and get her to eat it out of the bowl, which I held in my hand, and took away once she had a mouthful - if we let her just eat it at her own pace out of the bowl on the floor, she would eat so fast she would immediatly throw it up - undigested - then try and eat it again. This way she slows down.

I am so proud to say that though we still feed out of the bowl, she now will, eat it straight out of my hand, wont bark if I *eat out of her bowl* and just sits quietly waiting til its her turn. In a week, we have had massive progress. Also, we treat the two dogs together. What happened at first was she would push in and try and get the treat before Charlie, and have a little growl, she now stills still (sometimes still breaks the sit then quickly goes back down - so lovely, its like she knows she shouldnt have done that and wants to fix it hehe) next to Charlie and waits her turn for a treat.

I know its not perfect, we have a long way to go with her and her food agression, but I cant help but feeling excited and proud of her - she just seems so eager to please. She looks up and its like she says *pleassssse mum I'll be good plllleeease* and Im just a pleased as punch. She is amazing. And Charlie seems to just love her too. There has been no issues really (other than the treat growls at first) - they sleep cuddled up together, I seem them licking each others faces, and sometimes they just chase each other and play - they do seem to play a little rough sometimes but I dont think its any worse than what Ive seen Charlie do with others, no cuts or scratches, just playful.

She gives me hope. And she gives me confidence. I feel like our efforts are making a difference.

Im feeling emotional lol, don't mind me. Im just happy. And proud. We are now a family of 4 :thumbsup:

I love my man, and I love my pups, and life is just the way it should be - we are blessed.

Edited by jacquilee81

she's smaller than charlie was at that age......I think Charlie is big until I get him down the dog park compared to most of the others - he is one the smallest medium dogs there. I guess the same will be with Mia - our vet doesnt think she will get any bigger.

She is lovely :laugh:

Edited by jacquilee81

Thanks - I have to say I am unsure how the colouring goes. They marked her as lemon and white, and my vet says lemon and white, maybe its the lighting of the pics? But i honestly wouldnt know - no expert here!! Is there such thing as light tan? Ha ha ha :eek: