Importing Dogs

GoldenWei

Just out of interest, approx how much does it cost to import a dog from Europe to Australia, say from Germany, Sweden or the Netherlands?? I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford to do it, even if I wanted to, but just wondering approx how much it costs.

For a dog 12 - 20 kg Minimum $6000 EXCLUDING the cost of the dog which of course is entirely a negotiation between you and the owner.

ETA. The size of the dog could see that cost much higher or slightly lower.

Edited by nynka

ok fair enough I was talking to someone at a show yesterday, and he was saying it was approx $30K, I just couldn't understand how it could be that much, assuming the dog was a young dog, good conformation etc but not old enough to be titled. I was assuming the price of the dog would be $5000-$10000, no idea of the cost of the breed in question.

Edited by GoldenWei

If you get a dog from Germany or the Netherlands, it can take 9 months or longer to get them ready to come over (rabies shots & titer tests then the pre-quarantine days). You may be charged a "boarding fee" for that time which will significantly increase the cost to import.

ok fair enough I was talking to someone at a show yesterday, and he was saying it was approx $30K, I just couldn't understand how it could be that much, assuming the dog was a young dog, good conformation etc but not old enough to be titled. I was assuming the price of the dog would be $5000-$10000, no idea of the cost of the breed in question.

Well my dogs were not far off that ( mind you was for two and from USA and a top kennel) thats everything, travel, tests, 6 months boarding, qtine here and the dogs and assocaited costs.

I have flight details and costs from the UK for a 4 kilo dog and that is a lot cheaper as no boarding and lighter dog, flights and tets are expected to be $5000.

:)

My boy arrived from Belgium in October 2009 after the Q'tine price increase.

Airfare for 8kg Basenji was Aust $ 1300.00

Q'tine for 30 days was around Aust $ 1400.00

Vet costs before leaving were approx Aust $ 600.00

John and I sent the mother of this litter over to Belgium so we could have a puppy back, so we didnt have the expense of paying for Hakim. But I believe show puppy prices in Europe are at least double what we would expect to sell our puppies for here. Well at least in my breed they are.

Well my dogs were not far off that ( mind you was for two and from USA and a top kennel) thats everything, travel, tests, 6 months boarding, qtine here and the dogs and assocaited costs.

I have flight details and costs from the UK for a 4 kilo dog and that is a lot cheaper as no boarding and lighter dog, flights and tets are expected to be $5000.

:rofl:

hmmm, for two I would expect that. It sounds like where you import from is also a factor, I can imagine that importing a wei from germany would be a lot more expensive then getting one from Sweden.

Looking at this thread with interest - certainly not a cheap exercise.

So while here, Can anybody recommend an agent in Norway please?

ask the GSD people in WA who import.The Gallagher's(seigen knls) would be the best,they assisted us with the people via Belgium & they where amazing

My new import (from a litter I bred over in Canada) will cost about $5000 all up including quarantine to get to me. The only gripe I have is that she will be almost a year by the time she arrives due to mis information on shots/blood work etc. Nothing I can do about that though and time is getting closer to when she comes, so it's all good!

(I don't think I could afford to purchase the dog and THEN pay to get it here.....this import and the next one that isn't born yet, are pups out of my breeding program and hence, no $$ other than paying for the shots, titres and any other testing needing done prior to shipment.)

Imported my 3rd dog from Canada/America. He arrived in quarantine just before the prices rose last year To land him here with cost of dog, shots, tests, quarantine and all the other things there was no change from $15000.00.

It is a costly exercise. But then again if you want quality that is bred from Tested stock you will pay for it

Imported my 3rd dog from Canada/America. He arrived in quarantine just before the prices rose last year To land him here with cost of dog, shots, tests, quarantine and all the other things there was no change from $15000.00.

It is a costly exercise. But then again if you want quality that is bred from Tested stock you will pay for it

My friend had just imported a dog from USA and the the travel costs were heaps cheaper than mine I assume as hers was booked from the USA end and not this end, anyone else find that ?

;)

I got quotes from companies here and in Canada for this new one...the Canadian company with exactly the same routing came in almost $450 less.

Thanks Angelsun I will use the USA and UK end when my next ones come over, it is cheaper and exactly the same by all accounts! lol