Horrendous Handling Blunders

BittyMooPeeb

Gossiping, not watching the judging -someone said "you're in for challenge".

Really embarrassed, grabbed the dog, threw the (slip) lead on, did a nice triangle, halted in front of the judge - lead seemed a bit loose, looked down. NO dog. Where's the flamin dog? Supposed to have a dog?

Dog was casually trotting along behind me.

Didn't get challenge. Sort of slunk out, hiding behind tufts of grass!!

Everyone laughed. Mongrels.

:laugh::hug: :D :) coffee splurk ;) :rofl::rofl:

And you are recomending the rum/chardy nerve calmer ??!!! :eek::eek::rofl:

I want to go to the Jed schhhkooool of Shhhow training... :rofl::rofl::laugh::rofl::rofl::o

fifi

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main ring of Crufts has quite a few people watching it, you can imagine how i felt when my dog got to the first corner of the ring and stopped for a poo! thankfully that time I had a poo bag in my pocket, so picked up and the ring stweard told me to 'just throw it over the boards' the ones lining the ring, so it must have looked like I was lobing it into the audience!

Really embarrassed, grabbed the dog, threw the (slip) lead on, did a nice triangle, halted in front of the judge - lead seemed a bit loose, looked down. NO dog. Where's the flamin dog? Supposed to have a dog?

Jed thats a good one. :rofl: ;) ;)

The main ring of Crufts has quite a few people watching it, you can imagine how i felt when my dog got to the first corner of the ring and stopped for a poo! thankfully that time I had a poo bag in my pocket, so picked up and the ring stweard told me to 'just throw it over the boards' the ones lining the ring, so it must have looked like I was lobing it into the audience!

Holly did this to me at the Adelaide Royal in for SA Bred Bitch Sunday Specials class. Middle of the morning, large crowd, doing a triangle and Holly stopped and pooped. :laugh: I'd let her out in the morning, walked her and walked her at the show and no poopies, she wanted an audience! Got lots of laughs and someone clapped.

Holly still went on to get 3rd out of a class of 27 bitches at only 11 months old! :rofl: She also took puppy bitch 3rd out of a class of 40 the same day with the same judge!

Not me but I will never forget it,

2008 EKKA (Bris Royal) the Sharpei that wouldnt walk LOL

Judge asked for an up and back, dog walked a metre, them lay down, owner tugged on leash, nope not budging, owner came up to it and prised it offf the ground them proceeded to gait again, dog walked a few steps, then ..lay down..owner prised it up again...this carried on for the entire up and back, far out it was so funny, guy ended up picking up said dog and gaiting out of the ring with it in his arms, got a standing ovationa and a round of applause!!

[

And you are recomending the rum/chardy nerve calmer ??!!! :eek::eek::laugh:

I want to go to the Jed schhhkooool of Shhhow training... :cheers::cheers::laugh::cheers::cheers::laugh:

fifi

Oh Oh - I thoroughly recommend the morning coffee with baileys instead of milk :) - works a treat (can't stomach wine in am :(). Though having driven past and been put through the booze bus test five times in the past month I have reverted to normal coffee for the drive there with the 'special coffee' in a thermos to share once I get there. It works a treat to keep off the frozen fingers and toes on those cold cold am setups too . . .

Tis also funny when the dobermann in the backseat puts their head through the front window to check out what mr policeman is doing sticking his arm in the front window :rofl:

Me thinks the police are onto the dog show drinking set :laugh: .

Oh dear, how long have you got ??!!!!

My first show, the judge waved his arm at the ring and said..."go round and do a triangle"....my poor nerve addled mind went into meltdown and I did some weird hexagonal or something...the judge said crossly..."what sort of geometric nightmare was that"? and I felt the tears well up !!

fifi

These just cracked me up. :laugh:

OMG you guys are so funny :cheers: :cheers: I have never done anything as bad as that, but my first show I did trip over the table when the judge asked me to do a triangle. Luckily she was about 80 years old and I don't think she really knew that I had tripped or just didn't care, but I ended up with BCC so it was worth the embarressment of it all :laugh:

:):) :D :D coffee splurk :(:):rofl:

And you are recomending the rum/chardy nerve calmer ??!!! :eek::eek::)

I want to go to the Jed schhhkooool of Shhhow training... :D :D :laugh: :D :D :(

fifi

Yep, the show after that was when I packed the rum/chardy!! I also learned not to gossip before challenge!! Didn't even get reserve. I reckon the dog did the workout, shoud have got reserve ;)

I feel better now, knowing stuff happens to others.

I think I told you about my dacshund that I bred? He was my pet, and I had trained him to do quite a few tricks. He was also a good show dog. I showed him sometimes, but my mother would take him for group etc, if she was in the mood. I was about 11 or 12

One of his tricks was to fall on his side and lie like a stone - "dead" - if you shouted "bang" or fired a cap gun. He was BOB - Grafton or Coffs, I think. In for group, gaiting nicely and evenly - a balloon or something went "pop" and he fell over dead. My mother went for a couple of steps, realised he was on the ground, was going "get up George". The steward and judge thought he had died or was unconscious. Whole class stopped, everyone rushed over, George hopped up, bit of grass in his coat.

Mother was mortified. I don't think they believed her explanation, they thought he had some sort of fit.

It was a very very long way home in a car with an irate mother going off like a frog in a sock. I had strict instructions to immediately train him not to do that. I had no idea how to do it, of course!! Luckily, he never did it again.

It's funny now!! :rofl:

Edited by Jed

Loving these stories, thankfully I haven't had a fall in the ring (touch wood).

I do remember stacking my Dobe for BOB and whilst leaning over adjusting his front legs my necklace somehow got stuck in the check chain....my neck stuck to his neck - not fun!! It seemed like the loooongest time to get it unstuck while the Judge looked on patiently :(

Edited by caslero

Ok here goes...

- 1st time I handled a dog for someone else was a baby Lhasa. I was so honored that someone would let me show their dog. We got halfway around the ring and he decided to poo... I was soooo embarassed and didn't know what to do.

- last year I was at a show in heavy rain and wading through mud. On my return from the out and back i tried to stop but did an almighty skid for a metre or so and nearly skidded into the judge... just managed to stay upright but pulled muscles in my thighs.... hurt 4 ages afterwards!

- make the mistake of taking a suit i hadn't worn since the previous year along to a shown and then figured out it was wayyyyyyyy tooooooo small.... had 2 squeeze into the skirt by breathing in then having mymum zip me up... the skirt was sitting about mid thigh!!! would post photos but they r almost X rated... LOL... as soon as I got home from the show the suit was 'rehomed' to a DOLer!!!

i'm sure there are more that I have blanked from my memory :)

Edited by capanash

Touch wood, 15 years down the track and I'm yet to fall over :)

I haven't done anything too bad of late. I handled a Mini Pood once, after showing the big dogs, checked it for pulling and it flew off it's feet. :) ooops

I PMSL when I read this SBT

I have had a few stuff ups in the years

1) Showing at Taree with my then young siberian and we were doing an out and back in sweepies, well I did the out and back. She got to the end of the out and kept going under the rope (the lead had broken). Once she realised she was off lead there was no stopping her as she froliked away every now and then throwing a smirk in my direction. She was finally caught by some people just pulling up to the show who opened there car door and she jumped in for a ride :love:

2) Have done another wonderful triangle and was pulling up a little bit to close to the judge when the bitch has reared up on her hind legs and grabbed this little old lady judge around the waist and started to hump her. I just stood there like a stunned mullet not knowing what to do for a moment :)

3) Magnus was making his return to the ring after an injury that I was sure was going to see him become my faithful pet forever more. A girlfriend is videoing and this was the result

There are so many more :D

Touch wood, 15 years down the track and I'm yet to fall over :rainbowbridge:

I haven't done anything too bad of late. I handled a Mini Pood once, after showing the big dogs, checked it for pulling and it flew off it's feet. :mad ooops

I PMSL when I read this SBT

I have had a few stuff ups in the years

1) Showing at Taree with my then young siberian and we were doing an out and back in sweepies, well I did the out and back. She got to the end of the out and kept going under the rope (the lead had broken). Once she realised she was off lead there was no stopping her as she froliked away every now and then throwing a smirk in my direction. She was finally caught by some people just pulling up to the show who opened there car door and she jumped in for a ride :rainbowbridge:

2) Have done another wonderful triangle and was pulling up a little bit to close to the judge when the bitch has reared up on her hind legs and grabbed this little old lady judge around the waist and started to hump her. I just stood there like a stunned mullet not knowing what to do for a moment :mad

3) Magnus was making his return to the ring after an injury that I was sure was going to see him become my faithful pet forever more. A girlfriend is videoing and this was the result

There are so many more :rainbowbridge:

SnoFyre Maggie sure did you a good turn. :rainbowbridge::cry::cry::cry:

Ok, I guess I should contribute to this post. :p

This happened when my boy was in minor puppy, we were in sweepstakes and asked to do out and back, on the out he started to cut in front of me, clipped my legs and down I went. Jumping up as quick as I could and trying to look cool, I was asking the Judge if I could start again, when my young grandson sings out, "Grandad that was the best Superman act I've ever seen and you didn't even let go the lead", well this bought everyone undone - talk about wanting the ground to open up swallow you. :p

Needless to say we all had a good laugh after the event. :)

I love this thread :p

I have been right outside the ring waiting to go in off in my own little world, meanwhile the steward to calling, looking right at me :rofl:

And the day at Wagga Wagga, the ground was so muddy. As I was walking too the ring my ass of a Samoyed decided he didn't have to behave and suddenly lunged forward causing me to stumble and then skid almost the whole way to the ring entrance, such a smooth way to start out :) . (BMP might remember that one :p )

We were at a specialty show & my hubby decided to go in the properties for Gentleman Handler. My hubby doesn't show our boy I do, so wen they first entered the ring our boy decides to start bouncing round the ring like a kangaroo :mad :D :D (judge was not impressed) my hubby then goes to stack him and doesn't do it rite coz the judge just rips him to shreds. He tells hubby to do an out & bak but hubby does a triangle, judge is yelling at him to come back but as hubby has tuned out coz he doesn't want the judge to rip into him again and doesn't hear. Once he's back from doing his triangle the judge tells him "I wanted an out & bak, now out & bak" by this time our boy is stuffed & won't move so the judge :laugh: :D :) an goes strait to awarding the Gentleman Handler which we can gather wasn't my hubby :):mad:mad

Edited by moko81

• 7 months later...
At my first show the judge asked me to do a triangle, no idea what I did, but it definately wasn't a triangle.

At the Royal this year in baby puppy sweepstakes Willow was the first dog in the line-up for gundogs, after the judge looked her over, she said to take her round to the end of the line, well instead of gaiting her around the length of the ring and to the end, I just took he straight back to the end of the line!!! Major stuff up....

Oh thank god I'm not the only one that has done it, I was sooooo angry with myself :( :D

I certainly won't be making that mistake again :D :thumbsup:

At my first show the judge asked me to do a triangle, no idea what I did, but it definately wasn't a triangle.

At the Royal this year in baby puppy sweepstakes Willow was the first dog in the line-up for gundogs, after the judge looked her over, she said to take her round to the end of the line, well instead of gaiting her around the length of the ring and to the end, I just took he straight back to the end of the line!!! Major stuff up....

Oh thank god I'm not the only one that has done it, I was sooooo angry with myself :grimace::love:

I certainly won't be making that mistake again :(:)

I've done that (recently too) and a friend did a couple of weekends ago! :cry:

Oh dear, how long have you got ??!!!!

My first show, the judge waved his arm at the ring and said..."go round and do a triangle"....my poor nerve addled mind went into meltdown and I did some weird hexagonal or something...the judge said crossly..."what sort of geometric nightmare was that"? and I felt the tears well up !!

Think I've mentioned this one, but my boy Navarre & I were a few steps into our run round the ring, when the clip broke on the lead. I stopped and stood there like an idiot wondering what had happened, while Navarre continued his circle and had stopped at the judge, stacked himself and was patiently waiting. My nerves took over and instead of walking straight over to my dog, I RAN AROUND THE RING to arrive there !!!! lots of laughter at ringside & the judge - who by this time was laughing and goin over my boy, said to me...."you didn't really need to be here did you"?!!!!

My nerves still make it hard for me to see or hear, although I think I'm marginally better than my first show !!!

fifi

;) that's still my favorite :)

Edited by whippets

Since this thread has been resurrected I'll embarass myself too. This was in back in the '80's. I was in the ring with minor at her first show. Dopey partner of the time had my older bitch, Rosie, ready just outside the assembly area.

"Triangle please", says the judge and I am concentrating very hard on little miss, as it's her first show. On the final leg, I glance up and the steward is bearing down on me at speed, with a frown - I look at the judge, she is giggling and then I realise that most of ringside are giggling too. I stop in front of the judge, the steward dives past me and surfaces with my Rosie. Huh??? ;)

Apparently, she had slipped her lead, and trotted into the ring, neatly following behind as we did the triangle. The judge cracked jokes about "reverse double handling" and my dopey partner had been yakkity-yakking away the whole time completely oblivious to the fact that the lead he was holding no longer had a dog on the other end!