How To Stop Sibes Howling

hey,

i have a 4 yr old husky male, which i brought from melb being told he was 2 1/2.

he is a beautiful male which i show but he talks so much. iv had him for 4 months now and my female samoyed is in heat. unfortunately i dont have a dog run so i keep my bitch inside. he constantly howls and whines when i take her away from him even when shes not in heat (but its worse when shes in heat).

iv tried everything to calm him down but he continues to howl and the neighbours get very mad.

is their any thing i can try to make him more dependant, as my samoyed was as happy as anything being alone. he also cant be tied up and left alone as he continually barks and whines.

any ideas is much appreciated.

also he is an extremly slow eater and is very picky and underweight. i have him on eaglepak and have found that he will eat pasta mixed with raw mince and vegies, but raw mince is so expensive just for a dog. he wont eat bones unless my samoyed is with him and hasnt eaten a great deal since shes in heat any other suggestions?

thanks

It all sounds perfectly normal.Being around a bitch in season is extremely frustrating for a male :laugh: Unless you have good dog runs - send one of them to a kennel.

If you find "raw mince is so expensive just for a dog", then perhaps you can't afford to keep him properly. If you are finding a few kilos of meat expensive, how will you cope with worming/vaccinations/vet bills?

if you are showing him, he will look his best if fed the best. Simple :D

Agree with the others, I find with our dogs that the male is calmer and quieter if he can see the bitch - so if she or he is crated in the living area for example. The dog in the yard with the bitch in the house in heat is a set up guaranteed to fry your nerves and those of your neighbours.

Ultimately tho', for those 3 or 4 days when the male goes completely stupid, I think a boarding kennel is the best idea.

It's not unusual for the male to stop eating. I had a male even stop drinking for 24 hours once, had to take him for a long walk away from the girl. He's better these days thank god but this is really a management problem not a training problem in my view.

thanks, i had my bitch inside which he could see from outside but kept me up howling from 3 till 6 this morning. i had to keep him in my bedroom last night just so i could get some sleep and amazingly he didnt winge.

i only feed my animals the best and its not that i cant afford mince, he could eat over 1kg of mince just on his own in one day which is getting expensive at over $15 per kg. i was looking for an alternative meat that i can try and put him on that probably has better nutrition than just mince. im abit worried that mince isnt best for helping him put on weight as i dont know any one else who feeds their dog raw mince.

thanks

thanks, i had my bitch inside which he could see from outside but kept me up howling from 3 till 6 this morning. i had to keep him in my bedroom last night just so i could get some sleep and amazingly he didnt winge.

thanks

Well there's the answer to your first question (and it makes me think he's howling for a different reason rather than because your bitch is on heat, eg being separated from his pack maybe? )

i only feed my animals the best and its not that i cant afford mince, he could eat over 1kg of mince just on his own in one day which is getting expensive at over $15 per kg. i was looking for an alternative meat that i can try and put him on that probably has better nutrition than just mince. im abit worried that mince isnt best for helping him put on weight as i dont know any one else who feeds their dog raw mince.

thanks

Depends on where you live but there are places in Perth that do pet mince for between $2 per kilo to around $5 per kilo.

I'd like to feed human grade beef mince to my dog all the time too but it's too expensive. He gets it as a treat occasionally, otjerwise it's raw chicken frames, meaty bones etc.

Edited by Golden Rules

thanks

Well there's the answer to your first question (and it makes me think he's howling for a different reason rather than because your bitch is on heat, eg being separated from his pack maybe? )

thanks

Depends on where you live but there are places in Perth that do pet mince for between $2 per kilo to around $5 per kilo.

I'd like to feed human grade beef mince to my dog all the time too but it's too expensive. He gets it as a treat occasionally, otjerwise it's raw chicken frames, meaty bones etc.

hmmm,thats a good point. when we got him i had him for a week or so and had to take my bitch away and he constantly howled. iv found he doesnt like being left alone. if it is because hes been separated from his pack how can i calm him down without having to get another dog? (preferably one thats fixed)

i live in geraldton, i have tried all the butchers for their pet mince but he just sniffs it and turns up his nose, even if i leave it their and not give into his fussy eating. thats why iv found he will happily eat human mince (still at his very slow eating pace). i also give chicken frames and meaty bones but he wont eat them unless my girl is outside with him, and because hes such a slow eater she tries to steal his and he just lets her.

thanks golden (do you breed golden retrievers by any chance?)

an alternative meat that i can try and put him on that probably has better nutrition than just mince.

Lamb flaps, turkey wings/necks, pork offcuts ? They may be worth trying?

What was he being fed when you got him? perhaps he has never been shown other foods much?

an alternative meat that i can try and put him on that probably has better nutrition than just mince.

Lamb flaps, turkey wings/necks, pork offcuts ? They may be worth trying?

What was he being fed when you got him? perhaps he has never been shown other foods much?

thanks perse, iv tried lamb flaps and soon as u give it to him he buries it straight away. i didnt know you could feed dogs turkey bits, will try them.

i was told he was on royal canin from the person who sold him to me , but they said thats because the breeder told them thats what he was eating. they said he wouldnt eat royal canin for them and they put him on a premium brand of biscuits (cant remember the name) that were from america and were the same as eagle pak which i have him on.

No ruski, I don't breed Goldens (I wish! :hug: ).

What about roo meat?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with pasta and veges with mince (or even table scraps) IF your dog does well on it. Many here would say the same about cheap brands of supermarket food .... as long as the dog does well :(

Can you keep your dogs inside but in separate rooms?

Edited by Golden Rules

hahaa thanks golden,

roo meat is too rich for both my dogs and they just spew it up :)

i will just keep trying different brands of tinfood any hopefully find a winner.

unfortunately its not my house and the dogs arent even allowed inside, but if it stops his howling thats just what will have to happen.

thanks for your help :)