Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Thought I'd also add something funny from today which KTB will remember. We were talking to a lady after obedience classes today when she said, "Did someone pee on your head?" while looking at me. She was actually speaking about Ava who had just had a head chomping session with the other dogs, but KTB thought it was pretty funny :rofl:

:rofl::rofl: Yes, that was hilarious!!! She was talking to you but then switched to talking to Ava in the same tone of voice, no segue, no nothing, even still looking at you. :rofl: O the joys of being Owned By Doggies. :)

I am glad my tale of Dangling Poo Woe made you all laugh. :rofl: I was very traumatised at the time :laugh:

Betsy: welcome! I am not sure why people always feel the need to lurk. All are welcome. :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

KTB,

I agree with Wuffles - Sentinel Spectrum's probably an easier way to go if he's good with tablets! I feel your pain on trying to medicate the dog, though. James has infections in both his ears at the moment and putting the drops in twice a day is a nightmare! Tablets are fine when coated in cottage cheese, doesn't flinch at the Frontline, and, although it's no walk in the park, even the normal ear clean is nowhere near this great a hassle. I bribed him with a lamb shank the other night and he still wouldn't come near me.

I have an insanely overmedicated dog - keeping up with ticks is impossible, and yet despite all the products used, I still find them on him!

Elbie's poo story is hilarious :) I'm not a particularly squeamish person, but I hate danglers. James used to somehow consume pieces of string from his rope tugs, not to mention the hair! My heart always stops when I see dangler as I'm very worried it won't make it all the way out and intervention will be required :laugh:

I'm glad to hear you all had a good obedience day! I have to say, I'm yet to find the weaving between other dogs remotely helpful - we're at he point now where towards the end of the class (definitely not at the beginning!) he'll sit still for most dogs. Unfortunately, it doesn't carry across when we finish the exercise. He still loses his head. Particularly around one little lab girl - we always seem to end up next to her and he has absolutely no focus around her.

Tigers,

Sorry to hear about the breeder hiccough! Are there any other litters you had your eye on?

LS,

Poppy is a beautiful dog! And look how big Ruby's getting! I'm glad the mouse wasn't baited. I can imagine it would have been a wee bit of a repulsive experience! A couple of months ago I noticed James chewing on something he'd found in the garden. I took it off him because I could not, for the life of me, work out what it was. I kept staring at it all afternoon until finally I realised it was the remnants of a bird's head...primarily just the beak :laugh:

Wuffles,

That's a great photo of Satchmo - very pensive! I'm quite relieved that others have become complacent with dog-licking. James licked my sandwich the other week so I just broke off a piece for him from the vague area he licked and ate the rest :rofl: Now I don't even bother waiting for him to lick it - if I'm home at lunch he always gets a couple of chunks of sandwich.

He's good with the licking but not taking - even when I'm sorting out his bones to freeze each week, he'll jump up and lick at one with a forlorn expression on his face, but won't pinch them.

I gave James his weekly brush today and another puppy's worth of fur came out of him :rofl: It was amazing. It was quite downy so hopefully his winter coat and left over puppy fur is on its way out and he can start feeling cooler. He's only been walked once this week because the heat just seemed to get to him so quickly. 'We can't seem to catch a break though, as now it's cooled down again, it raining! This dog is always wet!

I gave James his weekly brush today and another puppy's worth of fur came out of him :) It was amazing. It was quite downy so hopefully his winter coat and left over puppy fur is on its way out and he can start feeling cooler. He's only been walked once this week because the heat just seemed to get to him so quickly. 'We can't seem to catch a break though, as now it's cooled down again, it raining! This dog is always wet!

Wet doggy smell! :laugh:

I wouldn't be able to survive going for a walk in QLD weather.. I thought it was stinking hot when I went up for a birthday in March a few years back, got off the plane and it as a punch in the face. I'm just weak when it comes to the heat... :laugh:

Shed that fur James, you'll feel sooooo much better!

This morning we woke up and discovered that our poor puppy seems to have thrown up overnight and also wet his bed - which is really weird because he hasn't done that since he was a tiny puppy. I don't think he was in his crate too long. He doesn't seem unwell in any way.

One possibility is that in the middle of the night last night, the neighbour's two dogs went absolutely insane and started barking and howling like crazy. They've just put in some sort of aviary/chicken coop and it is possible that the birds attracted a fox which would explain why their dogs went crazy. Maybe Elbie woke up abruptly/was frightened and wet himself but I just don't know. It's a bit concerning. :eek: Like I said, he doesn't seem unwell at all so it doesn't warrant a trip to the vet. If he does it again tonight then we'll consider a vet check. Are 8 month puppies prone to have the occasional bedwetting accident? :(

I wouldn't be able to survive going for a walk in QLD weather.. I thought it was stinking hot when I went up for a birthday in March a few years back, got off the plane and it as a punch in the face. I'm just weak when it comes to the heat... :(

...that would be part of the reason we didn't go walking :) I can't stand the heat - I spend 6 months a year whinging to anyone who'll listen.

Our local park is almost completely underwater. Roads blocked - firies and ambos out at 6am to rescue a submerged vehicle. Well done, Brisbane City Council - 8 months, couple of million dollars but yep, the creek won't flood to significant levels ever again and people will be much safer! :eek: I'd love to take James down to splash in the puddles but I know if he managed to get away he'd be in the creek in two seconds and I'd never see him again. Can't even walk him along the path - everything is submerged.

Does anyone have any helpful dog drying tips? The poor thing is constantly banished to the deck to dry off as everytime he goes outside he returns completely drenched. Little sponge dog.

Does anyone have any helpful dog drying tips? The poor thing is constantly banished to the deck to dry off as everytime he goes outside he returns completely drenched. Little sponge dog.

We have a little fan heater that we turn on in the kitchen and we play with Elbie in front of it along with a towel. He gets dry relatively quickly. Having him dry outside, he normally goes and rolls in dirt and undoes all the good of the bath. :eek:

If Elbie vomitted as well, perhaps he just ate something that disagreed with him and the wee was just a side effect of feeling a little off-colour? James has had a couple of occasions of just being unable to hold his bowels when he wasn't feeling right.

If Elbie vomitted as well, perhaps he just ate something that disagreed with him and the wee was just a side effect of feeling a little off-colour? James has had a couple of occasions of just being unable to hold his bowels when he wasn't feeling right.

Hope so. He's normally as tough as an old boot and his house-training has been rock-solid for months so it was a bit worrying. I worry too much, I guess.

He throws up now and then because he has that dog habit of eating things he shouldn't so we'll find the frothy grass vomit, the frothy "WTF is that?" vomit and that sort of thing. OH has just given him some rice and water and says Elbie seems fine and perky as usual. Yesterday during obedience class, the little Westie threw up twice - maybe there was something yucky in the grass at dog school ...

Now I am having a Cold Comfort Farm flashback ..."I saw something nasty in the woodshed"/"I ate something nasty in the grass at BDOC". :eek:

Edited by koalathebear

Morning all! Kuma was all tuckered out from yesterday's obedience that he slept from about lunchtime until this morning. He put himself to bed without dinner! Needless to say he gutsed down his breaky this morning!!

We don't use flea treatment either. We will think about that when we go coastal, but at this stage don't worry.

:eek: poo stories... I'm lucky, Kuma's really picky about when/where he does his business. I'm sure he needs to be facing Mecca or something... no major accidents (yet...)

Kuma also gets bits of our food... mainly the crunchy bits of toast, chopping board treats. He is also a huge fan of licking out yoghurt tubs. I don't fret about it.

Great piccies all - I'll upload some tonight. Kuma sneaked a bit of cardboard box and shred it into matching pieces. No eating, just shredding :(

Poor Elbie. Hope the little poppet is ok. Could he have gotten hot?

Re drying - we have a microfibre towel we use to soak up as much water as possible and then use my old hair dryer. It's a challenge coz he's such a fluffy dog! Last time we washed him we did it at one of those drive in car and dog wash places... he LOVED the dryer! He was lifting his little legs up to dry his pits, and was quite happy to be blow dryed. It was SO funny. We ran out of coins, so we ended up with a semi-dry dog. Takes him about two hours to be completely dry.

Last time we washed him we did it at one of those drive in car and dog wash places... he LOVED the dryer! He was lifting his little legs up to dry his pits, and was quite happy to be blow dryed. It was SO funny. We ran out of coins, so we ended up with a semi-dry dog. Takes him about two hours to be completely dry.

Oh gosh, that is such a cute image. I really wish I could have seen it!!! :(

2 hours... :eek: Elbie takes about half an hour and then he is all soft, fluffy and very cute ...

This morning we woke up and discovered that our poor puppy seems to have thrown up overnight and also wet his bed - which is really weird because he hasn't done that since he was a tiny puppy. I don't think he was in his crate too long. He doesn't seem unwell in any way.

Oh no, poor Elborino.. very strange, but hope he's ok. :mad

I wouldn't be able to survive going for a walk in QLD weather.. I thought it was stinking hot when I went up for a birthday in March a few years back, got off the plane and it as a punch in the face. I'm just weak when it comes to the heat... :(

...that would be part of the reason we didn't go walking :D I can't stand the heat - I spend 6 months a year whinging to anyone who'll listen.

Our local park is almost completely underwater. Roads blocked - firies and ambos out at 6am to rescue a submerged vehicle. Well done, Brisbane City Council - 8 months, couple of million dollars but yep, the creek won't flood to significant levels ever again and people will be much safer! :( I'd love to take James down to splash in the puddles but I know if he managed to get away he'd be in the creek in two seconds and I'd never see him again. Can't even walk him along the path - everything is submerged.

Feel free to whinge to me :eek: I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to go outside for a walk. OH is from QLD so he's pretty much used to the heat, we have to visit his Mum in Monto for Christmas.. I don't think I will survive..........! I'm already dreading going for walks with my 2 during Canberra's summer. :eek:

Wow, sounds VERY wet over your way!! Try and stay dry!

Great piccies all - I'll upload some tonight. Kuma sneaked a bit of cardboard box and shred it into matching pieces. No eating, just shredding :)

Re drying - we have a microfibre towel we use to soak up as much water as possible and then use my old hair dryer. It's a challenge coz he's such a fluffy dog! Last time we washed him we did it at one of those drive in car and dog wash places... he LOVED the dryer! He was lifting his little legs up to dry his pits, and was quite happy to be blow dryed. It was SO funny. We ran out of coins, so we ended up with a semi-dry dog. Takes him about two hours to be completely dry.

Oh.. I envy you KumaAkita, mine don't like being blow-dryed with the hair dryer at home. I wonder if they might like the one at the car/dog wash places, hrm....

It would be so much easier if they were allowed outside after their bath, but OH doesn't allow it because he says they will just rub their faces in the dirt and get messy again. :(

I grew up in Brisbane and my parents are still there. They just sent me a pic of their flooded backyard :eek: I can only imagine what fun my puppers would have in a flooded backyard.... we are going up there for Xmas and probably taking the dogs, I know we are crazy, 15 hours in a car with two dogs.

For those few horrible weeks in Canberra we have been known to go for our walks at 5:30am :(

Ha! We walk at 5:30 am NOW! I'm the only idiot out in our suburb at that time... :D

Ahhh, we go 6am now, that half an hour makes a lot of difference! :cheer: Do you live near us? :laugh:

We are in Franklin. Where are the Wuffles Clan?

I used to go at 6:00 am, but have to start work earlier and that means leaving earlier... yes, the number of times I have wanted to hit snooze in the morning is incredible.

We used to run into Jethro the yellow lab (with a bit of mix I think) he is also at BDOC in bronze. You will have heard him yesterday, he's the one with the big deep loud bark!

Edited by KumaAkita

We are in Franklin. Where are the Wuffles Clan?

I used to go at 6:00 am, but have to start work earlier and that means leaving earlier... yes, the number of times I have wanted to hit snooze in the morning is incredible.

We used to run into Jethro the yellow lab (with a bit of mix I think) he is also at BDOC in bronze. You will have heard him yesterday, he's the one with the big deep loud bark!

Ahhh cool, we are in Ngunnawal. Close but not close enough to meet up of a morning! Lots of dog walkers out and about early around our house. I get home from our walk around just after 7am and manage to get to work just after 8 most mornings, it is a bit of a rush :D

Random question - are Ruby and James around the same age or is James a little older and bigger? They both look so cuddley and squishy to me.

We are in Melba and the earliest I've ever taken Elbie for a walk is 6.30am ... I am dead to the world before then ...

We're in Jerrabomberra at the moment and there are quite a few dog walkers out before the sun is up. We'll be in Franklin soon, so might bump into you sometime.. but the snooze button is my friend and I am prone to hitting it on numerous occasions.

15 hours in the car with 2 doggies!?! You insaaaane?!?! Well, atleast its not Ava & Mars.. you'd end up giggling the whole way watching them play in the back. :D