Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

The new vacuum cleaner arrived at 1pm today. It arrived in very good condition, a little subdued after its epic, epic journey from up North but once in the car was very curious and remarkably well-behaved.

It's a very quiet but playful vacuum cleaner. Elbie has not yet met the vacuum cleaner, but definitely knows something is afoot ... :)

Photos below ...

:cheer:

fisher-price-learning-vacuum-cleaner.jpg

OMG!!!!

He is adorable! Very, very good loooking imo!

Yay for you guys!

Thanks all for the kind words. Some more photos. As part of his pedigree papers, we have his family tree - which kind of cracks me up that such a little fellow has a family tree.

Puppy dog eyes

vacuum11.jpg

Looking out over the barrier we created which won't keep him contained for long

vacuum12.jpg

Posing for the camera. We phoned the breeder to let her know Hoover arrived safe and sound and she was very pleased. She says that his father was about 21 kg and she expected a fully grown Hoover to be about 25 kg.

vacuum13.jpg

Is that plastic sheeting you have down??? I was really wondering, because it looked just a wee bit like you'd gone to a photography studio on your way home. Though I did doubt it! Ha! I'm sure the toilet training will be easy pee-sy. I was re-reading the poo-corner story from Nicques - then watching Max 'go'. He walks it from one side of the yard to the other - I'd have no chance with a poo corner. (Aside: technical question - unless you're picking up every poo pronto, how do you stop them from standing in it if its in one small area?????).

I love the photo of Hoover looking over his enclosure - he's such a dorky puppy (in the sweetest possible way!).

So so jealous! But happy for you. And for Elbie too. (And Hoover too for that matter). Its really nice (in my opinion) they have a friend, or a 'pack'. I always feel a bit guilty to have just one. Somehow it doesn't seem quite fair. Often we walk home from the park with this guy who has three dogs - they're beautifully trained, border collie x's and a boxer x - and they just walk together in sync. Max will join their 'pack' as we walk along - then when we have to turn to go our separate ways he'll look so longingly after the three of them. Its quite a job for me to convince him that it'll be really great actually if he comes home with me!

Looking forward to the puppy frolicking photos/movies!

Wow, he's a big boy! Look at those paws he has to grow into! He is almost unbelievably adorable and I am so, so longing for a second puppy right now which I blame entirely on you :cheer:

I'm loving his cute, white, baboon butt! :)

Is that a pro/cons board I spy in the background? :cheer: You're exceedingly well prepared!

Awww he is pretty darn cute!!!

I know Aunties aren't supposed to have favourite nephews... but Elbster is still the man!!! :cheer: I hope he likes his little brother!

Hoover!!! I bet that one wasn't in the baby name book!!! Did he come with that name already or did you actually name him that? If we ever have a boy dog, OH wants to name him Rasputin!!! :) Probably because I won't let him name future wee wizzle that if it's a boy!

Congrats on the new arrival

Hope Elbie learns to love him

Looks like he might overtake him in size pretty soon....

I only have one exuberant adolescent dog, and would love to get another one day, but I think I will have to wait until mine is a bit older.

I had a brief taste of two young'uns the other weekend when I picked up a puppy wandering on he road. She was a beautiful 4mo black lab. Gorgeous.

Anyway, after she had a big sleep in the laundry (fell asleep within 5 seconds in my dog's second bed), I needed to take her outside for toilet time. I tied my boy up but she went over to him and started playing bitey-face and jumping all over him. I relented and let him off and they played for a bit in the backyard (under very close supervision). It was so cute!

Thankfully tracked down her owners, but for the brief time I had two dogs it was a handful!

Hope you have a back-up camera battery. Am expecting lots of photos!

hi KB,

I haven't spoken to you for what feels like EVER,

Elbie looks great, and congratulations on your new arrival.

We too have just got ourselves a Kelpie. ours is coming from Mildura pound. She's a rescue and we are very excited about her arrival soon (hopefully)

Hope all is well with you :)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :cheer::cheer::laugh:

Okay, I've been very good and waded through all the posts before posting my own (didn't get a chance to peek during the day, and then had puppy school tonight). KTB, you're a little bit tricky to make that pic of a kids vacuum actually contain pics of your new one! :p He looks like a sweetie- Elbie has got some competition in the ears department :)

Congratulations to you and Mr KTB- although I'm a bit sad you didn't get one from up my way, and that I can't drop by to meet your new addition on the weekend. Oh well. I shall have to continue to live vicariously through your videos ;)

In other news, puppy school was not fun- Ruby was feral! Even LESS attention span (if that's even possible) than the first week, no interest in the treats I had (BBQ chicken and cabanossi) which really irks me because she will do everything at home. If it had been an option, I would have taken her home. She eventually settled down to eat a pig's ear that magical dog trainer lady gave her (think she felt sorry for me), but topped off the night by having semi-diarrhoa at the end. Yep. Good times.

In hindsight (isn't it a wonderful thing?) I should have known things were not going to go well. Ruby must have been feeling unwell this morning- didn't eat her breakfast, so I put it outside with her when I went to work. And because the day had been changed due to MDTL being away and I had a staff meeting this afternoon, I basically came home, got changed, cleaned up yard, and then had to go.

The last lesson is next week- I seriously don't think we'll be graduating...

Edited by lilli_star

Ha ha KTB, I didn't realize if i clicked on the pic of the kids vacuum it would send me to pics of the real one :cheer: very clever indeed! What a great looking little boy he is, looks like he'll be a big boy aswell :cheer: Can't wait to see pics and videos of the Elbster and Hoov's playing together! :)

Edited by tigers12

Is that plastic sheeting you have down??? I was really wondering, because it looked just a wee bit like you'd gone to a photography studio on your way home. Though I did doubt it! Ha! I'm sure the toilet training will be easy pee-sy. I was re-reading the poo-corner story from Nicques - then watching Max 'go'. He walks it from one side of the yard to the other - I'd have no chance with a poo corner. (Aside: technical question - unless you're picking up every poo pronto, how do you stop them from standing in it if its in one small area?????).

:rofl: Yes, OH put down white tarp and the white boards are made of the same material as our jigsaw puzzle board that we use for doing jigsaw puzzles. We have laminate flooring but didn't fancy having dog wee and poop everywhere so the tarp is there to minimise the mess to the extent possible! We do feel a bit psychotic with the tarp - makes us like a bit like Dexter serial killers but anyway ...

Poo Corner isn't too small, it's actually quite a large long section of the yard, but off to the side so cleaning it up is pretty easy. It works for us because it's sort of a separate part of the yard. One good sign today was that Hoover accidentally trod on Elbie's poo and recoiled in horror, so it doesn't look as though we'll have a poo eater on our hands. :rofl:

Wow, he's a big boy! Look at those paws he has to grow into! He is almost unbelievably adorable and I am so, so longing for a second puppy right now which I blame entirely on you ;) I'm loving his cute, white, baboon butt! :D

Heh heh. There's something so lovely about having two dogs in the house. And yes, the baboon butt is pretty funny. We only noticed it today.

Is that a pro/cons board I spy in the background? ;) You're exceedingly well prepared!

:o Yes Niques and Clastic, you sharp-eyed people ... that is indeed a "pros/cons" whiteboard setting out the pros and cons of getting a new puppy. The DOLers had me feeling very uncertain for a while ... I was agonising about the decision. When we found out about Hoover, OH took it upon himself to prepare a pros and cons board to go through all of the issues. When I got home, it made me smile and smile and I had a great conversation with 4kelpies and the rest is history ... :D

I know Aunties aren't supposed to have favourite nephews... but Elbster is still the man!!! :rofl: I hope he likes his little brother!

OH and I are determined not to have favourites. We love them both equally. Elbie's our scrappy little mutt from the wrong side of the tracks and Hoover's his working class brother from the bush ... ;)

Hoover!!! I bet that one wasn't in the baby name book!!! Did he come with that name already or did you actually name him that?

:rofl: Dearest wizzle, I know it's not aristocratic and he'd never get into Genevieve's private dog school with that name but it really is the name the breeder gave him and it's on his pedigree papers. :D It's because he's a greedy guts ... and we discovered that tonight when we made him wait for his kibble. He really didn't want to wait and just kept hopping forward. By the end he learned though.

betsy: Thanks for your kind words. We did ponder for a while whether to get a second dog given Elbie's age etc and some of the DOL predictions were pretty dire, but we think that we can make it work. :) Elbie and Hoover still aren't too sure of each other but it's just the first day. Hoover's much more chilled and self-possessed than Elbie so he seems a bit peeved at having such a bouncy dog around him.

BellaDonna: It is soooo good to see you again. I've thought of you and Katie very often and wondered how you were both going. Just saw your other posts and Katie is still such a cutie. The fact that you're getting a second dog when Katie is six months makes me feel better. ;) Congrats on getting a Kelpie as well!! The Kelpie discussion thread is here. It's kind of quiet, alas, but I'm trying to get it moving. ;)

Elbie has got some competition in the ears department ;)

Yes! He looks even more like a bat than Elbie sometimes. They have such different personalities - it's hard to describe but I can't wait to see how they both develop together. Sorry Ruby was feral at puppy school ... on those feral days, there's nothing you can do but endure the paw in the eye and the accidental claw on the chin and smile in a sickly fashion at the other people in the class whose dogs seem so placid by comparision...

The last lesson is next week- I seriously don't think we'll be graduating...

You may be surprised! But I'm crossing fingers, toes and eyes for you anyway. :D

tigers12: Thanks very much... Very soon you'll have a puppy monster, too!

Hoover is just so cute.

You probably will find that you have a favourite after a while :rofl: We both do in my house, thankfully our "favourites" are different dogs and of course we love them both.

Don't want to hijack KTB but here is a picture of Ava at 12 weeks old for comparison's sake :rofl:

IMG_1329.jpg

Elbie was definitely easier in many ways. When we got Hoover today, he wee'd EVERYWHERE but then tonight, we have been standing outside in the rain with him for ages and ages and ages trying to make him wee. He drank heaps of water today which is why we don't want to go to bed without wee'ing him :D

Ah ... toilet-training ... Elbie really made it seem quite easy :rofl:

Ava has always been so lovely - that smile of happiness. :rofl:

Edited by koalathebear

Ah ... toilet-training ... Elbie really made it seem quite easy :rofl:

Its hard when the first dog was so easy to toilet train. For me Mars learnt unbelievably quickly whereas with Pepper it was an uphill battle.

Good luck KTB and little Hoover its bed time, go for a wee!

Its hard when the first dog was so easy to toilet train. For me Mars learnt unbelievably quickly whereas with Pepper it was an uphill battle. Good luck KTB and little Hoover its bed time, go for a wee!

Thank you! It's still early days, I know :rofl: It's just bizarre how it actually wasn't that long ago we were toilet-training Elbie but it seems like years ago!!!

Hoover has wee'd but has yet to do number two's and unlike Elbie, he does not know what "poop poop!" means :rofl:

They're both resting now ...

sleep03.jpg

KTB, can i ask, how old is Elbie now? are they both crate trained, or are you crate training? will you make sure to give individual attention/training time or will you just play/train them together? do you have kids or are you planning on it?

sorry, just some questions that seem to concern me when i keep thinking about a second dog

Sharing a bed is a good sign! :laugh: Mine will never do that. Mo is a grump when it comes to personal space.

Satch came to us toilet trained (ahhh rescue dogs) and Ava was easy. I'm sure little Hoover will catch on quickly and he will learn from Elbie as well. We found that every time Satch went outside to the toilet, Ava would go as well. The day after she arrived, she followed me into the bedroom and did a squat... I went "uh nooooooo!" and went to grab her to take her outside and she screamed absolute murder. I felt so horrible but she never weed in our bedroom again :laugh:

KTB they look so cute together, good luck with the toilet training we are still in that process with Watson some days he seems to get it, the next we spend half the day on the floor cleaning it up.

lilli_star I feel for you with the feral training session amd good luck with the last lession. Sometimes our dogs suprise us and you end up passing, that happened to us with Deakin in most his classes but especially with beginners he spent half the term in the air, one quarter of it barking and most of it refusing to pay attention no matter what food I waved in front of his face. At multiple points I got asked what I was feeeding him and reminded that dogs don't work for kibble and if you fed them a large breakfastthey would be less likley to want to work, at this point I had to explan he hadn't had anything since the half his dinner he had the night before and then had to show them my collection of training treats containing chicken, cheese, cabanossi, hotdog ect only or them to look at deakin and go are you sure that is a labrador but somehow at the end of term we managed to pass the begineners test and deakin did well enough to somehow get a blue ribbom.

Morning all... awww KTB... cute photos. The sleeping together is a good sign. I'm sure that Hoover will follow Elbie around and work out the toilet situation soon enough. How did Hoover go with his first night? Sleep well??

Wuffles: Ava was adorable. little fluff monster! (ETA: that didn't sound right... she is still cute!)

lilli_star: don't worry... I think all of us has experienced idiot-dog at training at least once... :laugh: (I know I have!)

I watched a bit of a terrible movie last night - Haitchi: A Dog's Tale. The OH IQ'd it, coz its the story about Japan's most revered Akita. But, in typical Hollywood style, they are now in America and Richard Gere plays the lead character (zzzzz). Anyhoo, it is really sad (quite a famous story in Japan: guy gets Akita, dog follows him everywhere, waits at the train station every afternoon, guy dies one day at work, dog sits and waits for the train station for the rest of its life). I had a big blubber and had to go hug my dog. AND we didn't watch all of it coz I couldn't see through the tears. Kuma was in bed and when I went out for a cuddle he gave me "muuuuum, i was asleeeeep...." but he gave me a kiss anyway :laugh:

But the most amusing part? They had Shiba Inus as Haitchi as a young dog. OH and I kept laughing - "That's a Shiba!!" Plus they obviously had to use several dogs, and they are ever so slightly different... A dog lover can tell, the average audience probably not!

and dammit... I seem to have lost my clicker. Not having a good week :laugh:

Edited by KumaAkita