Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

We have our first real agility lesson tonight which I am very excited about! ( :p KTB are you excited too?)

I didn't answer earlier because I was angsting and wringing my paws about whether I'd be able to get Elbie settled :laugh:

betsy: I'd love it if we could do tracking here ... Hoover would be so good at it and it would be heaps of fun and be a 'useful' thing for him to learn. Agility is fun but I'm not sure how it could ever be useful. Speaking of agility, tonight the instructor asked us all what games we play with our dogs. OH and I just assumed she wanted to make sure we play with our dogs and don't just work them so we said: "Hide and seek." :D

Turns out she meant what sort of games do you play with your dog that you could use to reward your dog ... like tug or throwing a ball so hide and seek definitely wasn't the right game :scared: In the car ride home after agility, OH and I were talking about how we could reward Elbie during agility using hide and seek .... one of us could hide under the see saw, inside the tunnel, inside the chute ... ok maybe not.

wizzle: genevieve really looks like lady of the manor stretched out so comfortably like that. And yes - very long! She sort of reminds me of Falkor the Luck Dragon from The Neverending Story.

Clastic: don't you dare leave! Elbie and Hoover would miss Mars and Pepper dreadfully :laugh:

OK, some photos ... We bought the Aldi freezer recently, in large part because Dog Stuff was taking up so much freezer space. OH tipped it on its side and cut some holes in it so that we could throw a tennis ball inside. He likes to deliver up 'enrichment' for the dogs :p

Here's Hoover making use of the window.

6april_01.jpg

Here's

- fetching the ball.

Here's Elbie after agility tonight

6april_02.jpg

Yes, OH put the blanket on him, not me ... :D

OH and I were talking about how we could reward Elbie during agility using hide and seek .... one of us could hide under the see saw, inside the tunnel, inside the chute ... ok maybe not.

I laughed when I read this! I imagine an agility course with KTB and Mr KTB popping out from various objects! :p

It did get me thinking about what games I play with Ziggy - it is usually just me throwing various toys in the backyard and him chasing them and zooming around the backyard! Occasionally I play tug but not very often.

Agility sounds like it is fun and exhausting! Elbie also did pretty well I think. I am also sure that week after week you will see improvement! I remember those first few months of puppy/dog school when Ziggy was just pulling on his lead he was so excited! Impossible to focus him on me as we walked in past the other doggies. He is much better now (although not perfect!). Maybe by the time agility comes around he will be ok to do it.

Yes Clastic!!! There are a few houses on our street up for grabs!!! Would you believe it, my dream house (which is a few doors up from where we live) goes to auction this Saturday and I will be in Perth!!! When I saw the sign go up outside the house, I slammed on the breaks so hard that OH nearly went through the windscreen! I have been saying ever since we moved into this street that when that house becomes available, I want it! Unfortunately it is just not the right time for us to buy... and I don't really have a spare $1.3 million lying around either... But a girl can dream! For those wanting to dream along with me, here is the link:

http://www.thehomepage.com.au/property/res...treet-glen-iris

Genevieve has been dubbed 'the friendliest dog in the world' by our locals... Everyone knows who we are, because of her! She spends so much time out in the front yard, that people walk past and know her by name (including local primary school kids) and all stop to chat to her. We took her to the park the other evening and one lady asked us 'Do you live in Mills Street!?' because she recognised the dog! :D She had no sooner said that, and Genevieve ran off to a group of kids playing soccer and when I turned to look, all these little kids were saying 'Look! It's Genevieve!' and they stopped and were grovelling around on the grass with her... Was very cute. But I am sure people will start to think we are horrible dog parents and just abandon her outside... We don't, I promise! She loves it out there!! She harasses me until I let her out, so now I just do it...

KTB - I too am laughing at the thought of you and Mr KTB playing hide and seek with the doglets!!!! Sussing out their orienteering skills! Maybe your next activity after agility could be police sniffer doggies??? We were watching some show on TV recently about all the training that goes into the team of policeman and sniffer dog... Wow! Talk about intense! And for dogs that look super scary, they are so playful!!!

Betsy - We are about the same in terms of the games we play with Genevieve... She loves chasing after the ball when she initiates it. But if you want to start a game of fetch, she looks at you like you're nuts! She loves playing rough and tumble with Daddy on the floor though, usually consisting of a bit of a bark of with him...

Roo got new toys on Friday night- a Kong Wobbler and a Polly Pig Tuffy toy. The Wobbler was pretty much an instant hit (Toy? Plus food? Yes please!)

mywobbler.jpg

But you can't have it- it's mine!

The pig she was a bit more wary of. For starters, it's HUGE! Like the size of a real pig, well, piglet! She sniffed it cautiously, then attacked the Wobbler for awhile. But she came back...to attack!!

roopolly.jpg

roopolly2.jpg

Ouch Mama! That light is way bright and making me all squinty :(

squintyroo.jpg

pollyroowobbler.jpg

I took Ruby over to my dad's today. It rained most of the day, and she had to stay tied up outside (under cover) because Dad has been away for a few weeks and came back to mouse central, so has put bait out :rainbowbridge: I took a bag of bones with me and made sure she had a few meaty ones to keep her occupied, but she did give me a few plaintive looks and whines throughout the day.

When the rain cleared a little, we went up the road to my brother's place to give the dogs a run while my brother and his family are away. It got a little chaotic with 7 dogs, all with very different personalities, and even though Ruby was very submissive to one of my brother's female working dogs, she managed to have lots of fun playing in puddles with her mama dog.

rubyandpoppy2.jpg

rubyandpoppy.jpg

puddleroo.jpg

She was actually snorkelling in the puddle in this photo

snorkelroo.jpg

Kinda gross because I saw her wee in it earlier! :(:(

Edited by lilli_star

loves the pics guys!!

We havea wobbler at the kennels i work at for doggies who need a bit more stimulation and we had a dobe in recently and he worked out if u just pick it up and drop it from a great height food falls out so we could just hear BANG... BANG.... BANG bahaha funny... we had a golden just stick him tongue in the hole as well and another use his foot to hold it on the side where the hole is and drained the whole thing one the floor then sat down for afternoon tea... funny to watch these toys in action tells u alot about how a dogs learns and problems solves :(

Oh look at Roo! I love that last photo of her with her loot... "what do you mean it's bedtime? But I have Toys..."

:laugh: @ Ruby tackling her fur-mamma (?) in the middle photo... the look on the yellow's face is delightful!

Kuma hasn't ever been big on Kongs. I've given all of his away... they were not a hit. Oh well. He loves squeaking cheap toys... We took him for a wash on Saturday at PetStock and while we were there we bought a bag of adult dog food, which came with a freebie toy. I could choose from a really ugly furry heart thing or a purple plastic rhino. I took the purple plastic rhino. He loves it... but it's one of those cheap squeaky toys that are soooo loud. Sheesh.

I have take a few photos lately:

5591882404_962959154b.jpg

W12/52 Phew, we're home by shibburd, on Flickr

5591289003_cc9c96ff91.jpg

W11/52 Whaaaa? by shibburd, on Flickr

Not great shots... there are a few more on the camera that I need to get off at some point.

We took him for a wash on Saturday at PetStock

;) KA - have you seen this????

Gorgeous photos of my favourite akita. He is so beautiful, especially with that baleful expression :shrug:

dandybrush: we have only one wobbler. It wouldn't be suitable to have the two of them playing with their wobblers at once - they'd swap and argue. We just use the wobbler if we're taking one out and leaving the other behind e.g. when we left Elbie alone during assessment night and Hoover gets left with the wobbler when we're at agility with Elbie.

Edited by koalathebear

We took him for a wash on Saturday at PetStock

:shrug: KA - have you seen this????

Yikes! That's awful! dastardly meanies stealing from a pet shop... seriously, what are they after? BARF?? Oh goodness, I hope they take the bunny home at night, his cage is right at the front door!

a slight brag, Echo has been going amazing on walks now, he no longer pulls and will follow gently when both me and oh walk together with him :laugh: also been thinking my next dog will be a corgi, they seem like a nice breed that would also match our lifestyle. I highly doubt my OH would approve of 2 dogs at once lol!!

Edited by kyliegirl