Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

At this discussion on interesting name tags, I found out about these really lovely hand made dog name tags. We ordered one for Elbie and it arrived yesterday!

Front. E is for Elbie! Although we sometimes call him Elborino, Elbster or El-bo, depending on how we feel.

tag01.jpg

Back:

tag02.jpg

He's unimpressed by the tag, doesn't really change his day. Here he is lying in his dog bed watching me

IMG_0428.jpg

Looks like such an uncomfortable sleeping position, though ;)

IMG_0430.jpg

Elbie's first obedience class

Soft Toy Destruction

When we had problems with Elbie, we sought a dog-behaviourist

Edited by koalathebear

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Some Small Successes for Puppy

When my OH and I were living and working on Beijing, every morning we were woken by the sounds of noisy traffic, particularly the sound of the buses doors opening and closing and the automated voice telling people what the next stop was. After we moved back to Canberra last year, we were bemused by how quiet the mornings were and there was a real charm to being woken up by the sound of birds. My OH is Canadian so he didn't know any of the Aussie birds at first - we like the sound of magpies in the morning, not such a fan of galahs or cockatoos and we adore the monkey-sounds of the local kookaburras.

This morning we were lying in bed and we heard a new bird sound in the distance. "Did you hear that?" he asked.

"Yes. Is it a bird?" I asked.

The bird sound sounded again ... then again ... then a longer sound ...

Then we both realised that it wasn't a bird, it was our puppy squeaking away in his crate in the kitchen on his squeaky cow toy.

Behold, Australia's latest bird - the Squeaky Puppy Toy Bird :mad

birdcall.jpg

Also, Elbie has developed the worst but the cutest habit of coming and sitting beside my chair when I'm at the computer. He'll sit there expectantly, absolutely motionless for a bit. Then he'll put his head on my leg or knee. It's all in the hope of treats, but he's just so damned cute when he does it that he's hard to resist.

Edited by koalathebear

Behold, Australia's latest bird - the Squeaky Puppy Toy Bird :cry:

:cry::rofl:

Also, Elbie has developed the worst but the cutest habit of coming and sitting beside my chair when I'm at the computer. He'll sit there expectantly, absolutely motionless for a bit. Then he'll put his head on my leg or knee. It's all in the hope of treats, but he's just so damned cute when he does it that he's hard to resist.

Oh, that is just too darn cute! He does that WAY too well!

Edited by Clastic

• 2 weeks later...

We're still unpacking boxes in our new house and while we wait for a dog gate to arrive to divide the study from the entrance, we've been using the cardboard box from our television to act as a temporary puppy gate. The problem was last week, Elbie jumped and sailed right over the top of it. He's done it a few more times now and we don't want him to do it because the floor is laminate and while he looks very comfy doing it, it's bad for his puppy bones. Therefore, we laid the box flat so that while Elbie can climb over the top, he won't jump anymore.

Tonight I was making cupcakes and Elbie does not care for the sound of the electric mixer. He doesn't bark, but he doesn't like it. He's not supposed to be in the lounge unattended but he didn't want to be in the study. So this was his compromise ... He lay ON the cardboard box room divider :laugh:

elbie183.jpg

How unimpressed does he look? :laugh:

elbie184.jpg

ETA link to recent post about Elbie's first attempt at herding.

Edited by koalathebear

Elbie 'passed' his beginners class assessment today. :D I say "passed" because it wasn't a formal assessment as such, more a series of tasks he had to complete.

1. Walking forward and then dropping - last to drop were eliminated. My husband didn't realise what we had to do at first so didn't get Elbie to drop so poor Elbie was eliminated in the first round. He went well in the second round though - walking forward and sitting and dropping.

2. Then it was walking in a circle, changing direction and dropping on command. He did very well in this although a small black mini schnauzer kept trying to kill him, which was a little distracting.

3. Relay - walk forward, jump over a small hurdle, drop, then walk, then sit drop. He did very well both times he did this.

He did well with demonstrating his tricks as well. The first 15 minutes we were there, Elbie was a complete nightmare though - very unfocussed and completely distracted by all the people, dogs and smells around him. We seriously considered just giving up, but then he snapped back to attention and regained his focus.

20100801_01.jpg

20100801_02.jpg

Elbie and his Crazy Bat Ears of Intense Concentration.

20100801_04.jpg

Our class was split up for the tasks unfortunately, but there were a few of our usual classmates.

This is Rogue who did very well today. A very calm and obedient dog.

20100801_05.jpg

This is the beautiful Bobbi - you can see the small mini black schnauzer in the background. Bobbi also passed but his owners are going to take a break from classes for six months - I'm going to miss her, though. She's a lovely dog.

20100801_06.jpg

This is the gorgeous Zeus - with Bobbi in the background.

20100801_07.jpg

We met clastic today for the first time - hopefully we'll get to meet her fur kids soon :thumbsup: In the off-lead area, there are usually some regulars. This beautiful teddy bear is Merlin. He likes chasing Elbie but Elbie seems to quite like him, even though he's not yet at the point of initiating play.

20100801_08.jpg

This adorable little miss is Ducky. Her 'dad' (who is holding a treat to get Ducky to stay still for this photo) is always very kind to Elbie in the offlead area.

20100801_09.jpg

My first attempt at taking a photo of Merlin was foiled by Ducky going for Merlin's throat :o In the end, Merlin's owner had to hold Merlin still for me to take a photo.

20100801_10.jpg

No prizes for guessing who this elegant and lovely lady is who successfully passed her bronze assessment today :laugh:

20100801_11.jpg

So next week, Elbie starts bronze - I wish we had a 'calm' switch for him. He performs so well when calm!

Edited by koalathebear

Such gorgeous doggies, I have to say one of the best things about going to obedience each week is seeing all the other owners and stunning dogs. Look at my sweet furry little girl :o

I heard a few people point at Elbie when he was in the off leash area by himself, saying "Look at how good that dog is!" :D

Lovely photos as always! Great seeing all the doggies running around and great to finally meet you guys! If only I had decided to bring one of my monsters along......... oh well, theres always next time! :o

Such gorgeous doggies, I have to say one of the best things about going to obedience each week is seeing all the other owners and stunning dogs. Look at my sweet furry little girl :o

I heard a few people point at Elbie when he was in the off leash area by himself, saying "Look at how good that dog is!" :whee:

Ave really is so beautiful and distinctive-looking. That photo of her is hilarious because both she and Champ were waiting for cheese. Champ quickly lost interest and lay down on the ground looking the other way but Ava continued to sit there with extremely intense and winsome patience :laugh:

I agree about how great it is to see the other dogs. I love being able to see and play with other people's doggies - although where was Nugget today? :D

Thanks for the kind words about Elbie - he was so monstrous when we first arrived that it was kind of embarrassing :thumbsup:

Great seeing all the doggies running around and great to finally meet you guys! If only I had decided to bring one of my monsters along......... oh well, theres always next time! :rofl:

Well you know where we are every Sunday! :( I don't think I've ever met a border collie puppy so I'm in anticipation. Also, 2 weeks from now, Kuma the Akita will be starting at BDOC so presumably he'll be trotting around the offlead area, too! We can have a DOLapalooza

Edited by koalathebear

oh oh oh we'll be there! We've got the "parents only" session next Sunday, but our boofer will be there from the week after!

We've been going to the off leash dog park at Forde for the last few weekends, Kuma's been really good. He's a funny dude and lets all the little dogs jump all over him! He has the turning circle of the Titanic, but tries ever so hard to keep up!

Looking forward to meeting y'all soon

ETA: Well done to Elbie for passing his classes... such a good little boy!

Edited by KumaAkita

He has the turning circle of the Titanic, but tries ever so hard to keep up!

I cannot wait to see this :rofl: There's a shiba inu puppy at BDCO, too. If I'm lucky I will try to get a photo of shiba and akita next to one another :laugh:

Well done to Elbie for passing his classes... such a good little boy!

Thank you ... For a while there, I did wonder if we'd be re-doing beginners again - we might have even been in Kuma's class :laugh:

He has the turning circle of the Titanic, but tries ever so hard to keep up!

:rofl: This comment cracked me up.. now everyone at work thinks I'm crazy! More so......

Ooooh, looking forward to meeting Kuma! :mad With everyone going on Sundays, I might have to be a little sheep and follow! ;)

Now if I can somehow convince Saxonpup as well....

I think we've actually met that Shiba Inu (can't be too many around...) very cute little thing! you'll be amazed at the size difference.

At the dog park at Forde yesterday there was a Japanese Spitz. Cute little white fluff of a thing. Soooo much smaller than Kuma it was hard to believe that they were originally from the same family!

BTW - I love your signature KTB.

I am an absolute dunce at those things so will go sig-less for the time being!

Edited by KumaAkita

With everyone going on Sundays, I might have to be a little sheep and follow! :thumbsup: Now if I can somehow convince Saxonpup as well....

Getting up early on cold Sunday mornings can be quite a test of one's willpower. :thumbsup: It's worth it though - Sunday mornings are a lot of fun and I've come to look forward to the post-class offlead session with all the puppies running around in the corner :D I hope to have a photo with kuma the akita so will need to try not to be too bleary-eyed :thumbsup:

I know we're not supposed to have Elbie up in our laps but part of the Elbie Origin Story is that my husband wanted a cat but I'm allergic so we have a dog that as a puppy kind of looked like a cat :thumbsup:

When invited, Elbie becomes a lap dog :thumbsup:

elbie193.jpg

elbie194.jpg

elbie195.jpg

Elbie being shy

elbie191.jpg

elbie192.jpg

elbie196.jpg

elbie197.jpg

Today, we also discovered that Elbie has

. The expression on his face as he looks up makes me laugh :thumbsup: Edited by koalathebear

Well, unfortunately because of one reason and another, the Bull Terrier was just not meant to be :). So we went 'back to the drawing board' reassessed what we wanted/needed and we are now going to be bringing a Dobermann into our lives, hopefully! :( I've been talking to the breeder since early June and the time is going SO slowly lol. But that's ok, it's been a looong time since my last dog so plenty of time to prepare is good :rofl:

Well, unfortunately because of one reason and another, the Bull Terrier was just not meant to be ;). So we went 'back to the drawing board' reassessed what we wanted/needed and we are now going to be bringing a Dobermann into our lives, hopefully! :( I've been talking to the breeder since early June and the time is going SO slowly lol. But that's ok, it's been a looong time since my last dog so plenty of time to prepare is good :)

Sorry about the bull terrier disappointment. We had a gorgeous BT at puppy class that I loved a lot but the Dobermann sounds awesome. I've never seen a Dobermann puppy so will keep my eyes peeled for when you post pictures :mad

The preparation time is good - lots of time to puppy proof your house and yard, buy lots and lots of dog stuff (bed, toys, crate and other accessories) and also get all the sleep/rest that you're not going to get once Puppy arrives :mad