It Might Be Time To Make The Hardest Decision... :(

Sorry....long post 'cos I ramble even more than usual when upset. :confused:

My boy Kuga is 15 1/2, I've known he couldn't have too much longer for a while now so have been trying to be a good mum watching for signs but he has been happy and mobile so was just playing it by ear.

He has been off his food for a few months so I've added fresh raw mince, brown rice and vegies and it has made a real difference and he's now keen on his yummy food, but lately he hasn't been drinking much (could be the cooler weather), he's been a bit stiffer with the cold weather too so I reintroduced the Rimadyl for his arthritis just over a week ago, but today he was really dragging. His rear end is so stiff he was really struggling to get up, and even to walk. I don't know whether he's just twisted his leg or whether this really is the beginning of the downhill slide. :) He did manage with some difficulty to get up onto my bed though (with the help of the ramp I built) and is lying there at the moment, snoring his head off and apparently dreaming of chasing rabbits.

I called my best friend (his auntie) tonight and asked if she would come over tomorrow, possibly to say goodbye (she was my housemate for the first three years of Kuga's life and loves him almost as much as I do, so we both had a bit of a cry on the phone :laugh: ) and she said that until recently he always seemed happy, alert and spritely, but when she came to visit a week ago, she noticed a change and said he'd really slowed down. I already kind of suspected he wouldn't make it through this winter. :)

I'm going to see how he is tomorrow, but just in case have researched a pet crematorium, chosen his box and got all the numbers I'll need ready, 'cos there's no way I could make these decisions once it was definite. At the moment I'm still hoping he'll wake up better in the morning but I'm probably fooling myself. Anyway, they had a link to a mobile vet and it got me thinking, if this needs to be done tomorrow or in the next couple of days, the only decision I haven't yet made is whether to take him to my usual vet, or whether to get a mobile vet out.

My other dog, Ella, absolutely adores Kuges. I'm thinking she might need a vet to come to my home so that she can see him after it's done and know he's gone. To DOLers with multiple dogs who've had to make this call, what did you do? Or if you haven't had to yet, what would you do?

Is it a good idea to let the other dog sniff the body rather than just wonder why their friend didn't come back from the vet with you?

All opinions appreciated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ams

Oh Horts. I am so sorry for you. Kuges has had a wonderful life with you and whenever you make the decision I am sure he will appreciate you being a good owner to the very end.

I haven't ever had my other dogs with the one being pts but it has always been more of a logistical issue than anything else. My only advice is to go with whatever your heart says. Certainly dogs grieve and if Ella and Kuges have been together for a long time it would be good for her to be there at the end.

:confused:

:confused: Horts. I know how hard this decision is for you to make. Kuges has done so well and lived so happily that to have a mobile vet come out would be lovely. Ella and Kuges could be together, and Kuges wouldn't have the stress of being put in to the car for a one way trip. He would be at peace in the place he loves best.... with you, in his own home.

You will do what is right for the both of you, you always have. Sending lots of hugs and love your way.

If I could afford it - the mobile vet would be the go ....I believe it is a good thing that the other animals know their mate is dead ....

I am so sorry it is his time - you have been toigether a long while, and there will be a big hole left. :)

:confused::laugh:

Horts,

first of all :confused::laugh:

Anyone who has read anything you've said about Kuges would know just how much you've been dreading this decision. Kuges has had a wonderful life with you and no dog has ever had a more caring and attentive human companion. If it is his time, he will go knowing he has been loved to the max.

If it's possible I would go for the mobile vet. We can't really know for sure what Ella will think and feel, but it seems only reasonable to assume that to allow her to see him would be fairer and easier on her than for Kuges to just "disappear".

I think that, if Indi's time comes before Em's, I would do it that way as Em has been with Indi her whole life and I think she'd fret if Indi just went away and didn't come back. If the situation was reversed, though, I don't know. Indi is not as bonded to Em and Em is to her and I don't know if she'd be as concerned.

More hugs to you and gentle pats for the grand old man.

*Hugs*

My previous dogs haven't grieved for the dogs that didn't come back but you know your dogs the best and whether you think having the other dog sniff the body is going to be the best thing.

So sorry you are having to consider making this fateful decision :confused: If you have a really good relationship with your own vet, why don't you have a chat with him/her to see if they will come around to your home to PTS your boy when the time comes :laugh: If not then give the mobile vet a call to have a chat with them to suss out whether or not you get a good feeling with them and being a mobile Vet, PTS pets would probably be a pretty big part of their business, so one would hope they would be a compassionate and caring vet.

For my beloved boy I had to PTS last year, I didn't actually use my normal vet as I was pissed with them, after using them for over 20 years they never once called me to check on how my boy was going with his Cancer, so I asked the Holistic Vet who was treating him with natural therapies whilst he was undergoing chemo to come to my place when it was his time to PTS. She was truly wonderful and a very caring and supportive vet who used to ring me between appointments to check how he was going and give me advice and support and was absolutely marvelleous on that dreadful day :) and treated my boy with so much respect, kindness and dignity and I will never ever forget that. With regards to letting my other two dogs sniff Fitzy afterwards, I had intended to do that, but was just so completely devastated and overwhelmed with grief :) , I couldn't and I just shut myself in my bedroom with my beloved boy and cried my eyes out for hours :) I know they came to my bedroom door a few times sniffing around, but I really couldn't deal with letting them in and when it came time for my boy to be picked up, I still couldn't cope with allowing them to sniff him, so I actually put them outside when they arrived to pick him up :eat: . My two boys were actually a great source of comfort for me once Fitzy had left our house and they were just so wonderful, calm and quiet in lying there and letting me cuddle them and cry on them. They did go into my room a few times and sniff around, and I believed that they knew he was gone.

Deepest sympathies, Horts :confused: . A very hard call. For Kuga to have reached such a grand age means you sure must have been doing something right all this years.

I've had only little dogs and adopted quite a few who were already old. They seem to be going great guns and then all of a sudden they go downhill and then there is no going back :laugh: . No matter how long they've been with you or how old they are or what a wonderful life they have had, the hole they leave in your lives is immense.

For many years, I have had several dogs and only three (all of whom are still alive) have been very very attached, so there haven't been any dogs who have been left bereft.

That said, when I had my first two dogs and the little female died, the male was a total wreck as he had never been alone in his life. That was truly awful and to see a dog so distraught makes our own grief even worse.

I would go with what others have said and let Ella know he has gone. She will grieve, but at a time like this, it is Kuga who needs you most.

Again, hugs to you and to your beautiful animals.

When it was time for our rottie, I brought him home so our GSD could see him and spend some time with him. I then had the funeral home collect him from home. Our GSD moaned his loss as much as we did.

I was a mess up when I came to the realisation I would need to make the decision but the morning I took him in I just knew I had made the right decision and tried to made it a happy moment for him. I fell apart again later but at the time my focus was on him and his needs.

I still cry when I think about him as I miss him so much and it is near 3 years ago.

Last time my normal vet just came out. He actually told me not to let the other dog sniff Moss as it can be dangerous if the other dog licks any fluids.

I think I will be making this decision within the week too :confused: I am going to take my dog to the vets as she enjoys going there.

Oh Im sorry Horty.

I think I will be in the same position soon with my Bob.

I think its important that their doggy mates know whats happened.

Gilly and Bob have been together all of Gillys life, so I worry about what would happen.

I think Bob is really slowing down very fast.

He cant get up on the lounge like he used too.

And he is haveing those far away moments.

He is 14.

I think I would call Feef and ask her if she could do it here.

Because the vet here in town is terrible.

Feef has helped my ratties when they have been too ill.

It was gentle and nice and we both cried.

I would like Bob to have someone who loves him, look after him.

Edited by gillybob

Could you call the regular vet and see whether they would make a house call, rather than the mobile vet?

If he is familiar with Kuga it's one less stress as the time comes... and some vets will do the call out (if they are local) for very old regular customers.

When I had to have my dog helped over, I gave him a treat he was never allowed to have as they gave him the green dream :confused: I fed him a mars bar and he went to the rainbow bridge in a chocolate daze..

Last time my normal vet just came out. He actually told me not to let the other dog sniff Moss as it can be dangerous if the other dog licks any fluids.

I think I will be making this decision within the week too :) I am going to take my dog to the vets as she enjoys going there.

I find this rather strange as the dog would not have started decomposing. :confused::laugh:

Unless he thought the green dream would be excreted.

I am terribly terribly sorry. Poor old Kuges. :confused::laugh: So sad.

We have our vet come to the house (we have had 4 oldies pts. in 4 years :):) ) and have had the pet on my lap on the floor on their fav blankie and all surrounded them and talked to them about how good they are, gorgeous etc. all their favourite words. We have not had other animals there at the time. They are in another room.

I honestly don't know what is the best thing to do, I think we do what 'feels' right to us and you know your pets best and how they will cope in certain situations. I really am so sorry, It's a very very sad time and will be awfully hard for you all. Lots of love and hugs to the beautiful Kuges, you have been so blessed to spend so many wonderful years with each other. :) xxxxxxxxxxx

When my little Jessie went to the bridge last year I took her to the vet with no idea that she wouldn't come home again (I didn't have the choice of PTS). I felt really bad for Harry, our other dog, as she did just "disappear", and he did seem to anxiously await her return. I think if I was faced with your decision I would have the vet come to my home.

15 1/2 years of love and companionship is such a wonderful gift, I am sorry that you might have to say goodbye :confused:

I think I will be making this decision within the week too :) I am going to take my dog to the vets as she enjoys going there.

I find this rather strange as the dog would not have started decomposing. :confused::laugh:

Unless he thought the green dream would be excreted.

Yes he was concerned about the green dream being excreted. I really didn't want to give that level of detail but thought it would be obvious. :) Very distressing.

I would call your regular vet and see if they will come out. They often do.

When Duncan died, Dougal couldn't have cared less. It was like "Well I'm still here, what are we going to do today?!"

I'm glad you have your bestie there today and Ella will be a comfort as well. :confused:

Edited by Golden Rules