It Might Be Time To Make The Hardest Decision... :(

All my sympathy to you Horts. It is the hardest time but the time you get to repay some of the amazing love they have given you all their lives.

I went through this just 3 mths ago and my vet agreed to come to our home, we also organised Lawnswood to come out approx 1/2hr after the vet was due. Our vet, Nicole, was absolutely wonderful and her professionalism and kindness really helped me and my OH.

We asked our vets advice on letting our other dog, who'd spent the last 5 years with him, come and see him afterwards but she advised no, in her experience when they do see their packmates its very distressing for them, I guess when a dog is PTS they would smell quite chemical and unnatural which could freak dogs out, as opposed to in the wild where that wouldn't happen.

We had Jazz inside with Bastian up til the vet came, then we put her out and didn't let her back in til Bastian was gone. She was a bit indifferent at first but one day she seemed to click - she bolted for the car one day when I came home and when her mate wasn't there, I think she knew. After about 4 weeks she started to show signs of real fretting but we brought home our new pup not long after and she perked right up. I believe dogs deal with life and death better than us, they understand it in a way I could only wish I did :-)

My thoughts are definitely with you and whatever you decide, it will be the right thing, he's your boy and you'll do the best for him undoubtedly xxxx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be thinking of you and your boy, its the toughest decision one ever has to make but always for the best if he is suffering :dancingelephant: I know what you mean about dogs being bonded, my mums 2 ( mine while I lived at home) were from the same litter and have never been separated :birthday:

Only last Thursday I have my 12.5 year old girl pass away. She had a cancer operation one week earlier and had not recovered, even though the vet had given us assurances prior to the operation that there would be no problems. I took her back at lunch time on Thursday and she passed away unexpected during the night while at the surgery. I didnt have a chance to say goodbye or explain to our other dog or organise anything with Pets in Peace. It was so hard leaving her there overnight as I really wanted to bring her home.

Our original plan was to have the vet some to our house if she had to be PTS and therefore my remaining dog would have more of a sense what to do. I also was caught unawares that I hadnt chosen her box or anything from Pets in Peace as I didnt want to temp fate.

We have spent the weekend trying to recover so I would definately advise the vet to come to home and have everything planned on your terms.

Oh Horty many hugs to you now....I well remember how quickly it seemed to go when Baron reached this stage....I didnt know you could have the vet come to your home when he died. Doing that would be a continuation of all the preceeding loving things you have done for Kuges. And I do think it would be helpful for his long time companion. It wont be an easy thing to say goodbye...but by making sure everything is familiar and at ease youll know he will be the same. Im thinking of you ....

Thank you all again for your support, without DOL this would be SO much worse. It wasn't until finding DOL that I heard the belief that it is the greatest gift you can give your best friend, to set them free before they suffer too much. Knowing that will take away the guilt factor and ease the pain somewhat.

JackieW, trust me, there's no way I'd be driving either! When his heart condition was diagnosed 4 years ago and the vet told me he had a 50/50 chance of making it through the week I was an absolute mess...silly vet told me at the reception desk and promptly had a hysterically bawling woman on their hands so took me into one of the consult rooms until I calmed down. :provoke: My best friend couldn't drive us either 'cos she'd be no better than I would. Anyway, I think I've decided on having them come to the house now, be it my regular vet or a mobile vet, it'll be best for Kuga's peace of mind too.

Horty I am so sorry that it seems the time has come for old Kuges. I have done both - taken a dog to the vet and come home alone and had the vet come to the house. I do believe that whilst the remaining dog may not show any particular emotion about a 'dead' dog, they are more calm after the old dog has been removed for cremation. They seem to understand that the dog was dead. When I came home from the vet with no dog, the other dogs kept looking for her and took a goodly while to settle down to the fact she was not coming back.

My heart is breaking for you Horty, as I do know how hard this is. If there is anything I can do, just let me know, I am only about 15/20 minutes from your place (do you still have my phone number?)

Thanks Loraine, I do still have your number but there's nothing much anyone can do really.

The bolded bit is exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. Just so she knows...

Thanks Willow, a lovely thing to say, he told me to tell you he thought you were pretty special too and give the bestest cuddles (well, second best after his mum but he's biased).

Showdog, if his legs get too bad, I wouldn't be able to get him in and out of the car on my own anyway - like you say, the logistics of a large breed can make things a little more complicated.

Erny, thanks so much for sharing your story. What I meant when I said we don't have a rapport is that they seem a little clinical. After three years, you'd expect some rapport but they just don't seem 'warm' to me so I think I might call the two mobile vets tomorrow and see which one I warm to over the phone.

Well Kuges was all happy and waggy to see me when I got home and I'm in the usual quandary...when do you really know? Best friend came over and said that apart from the obvious difficulty walking and getting up when he's been lying down, which could be temporary if he's twisted his leg or fell over awkwardly (he has been falling down occasionally in the last couple of months), he seems too alert and waggy for it to be his time, so after jumping the gun and causing nearly 24 hours of rather stupidly crying my eyes out off and on, I'm going to wait a couple of days and see how he goes. If his leg/s don't improve, then I will have to decide if I think he's uncomfortable or in pain enough for it to be time, if things get better, then I'm back to playing by ear, but realistically, not for much longer with the colder weather on its way.

Sorry, this just became a bit 'boy who cried wolf' :wave: but last night I really thought it would be today or tomorrow. Spoke to the vet today and they said if he's still eating, drinking, wagging his tail and is aware of his surroundings and what's going on then it's not time yet. Also said that they do house calls but were limited in the times they can come out but that the mobile vet whose number I have is very nice and compassionate and might be a better option in terms of flexibility.

At least I'm now organised for when it IS time. Will let you all know how things go, thanks again and sorry for the more than likely false alarm...feel like a bit of a d***head now. :D

Well Kuges was all happy and waggy to see me when I got home and I'm in the usual quandary...when do you really know? Best friend came over and said that apart from the obvious difficulty walking and getting up when he's been lying down, which could be temporary if he's twisted his leg or fell over awkwardly (he has been falling down occasionally in the last couple of months), he seems too alert and waggy for it to be his time, so after jumping the gun and causing nearly 24 hours of rather stupidly crying my eyes out off and on, I'm going to wait a couple of days and see how he goes. If his leg/s don't improve, then I will have to decide if I think he's uncomfortable or in pain enough for it to be time, if things get better, then I'm back to playing by ear, but realistically, not for much longer with the colder weather on its way.

Sorry, this just became a bit 'boy who cried wolf' :provoke: but last night I really thought it would be today or tomorrow. Spoke to the vet today and they said if he's still eating, drinking, wagging his tail and is aware of his surroundings and what's going on then it's not time yet. Also said that they do house calls but were limited in the times they can come out but that the mobile vet whose number I have is very nice and compassionate and might be a better option in terms of flexibility.

At least I'm now organised for when it IS time. Will let you all know how things go, thanks again and sorry for the more than likely false alarm...feel like a bit of a d***head now. :wave:

Horts, don't feel bad about it. My parents did this for a couple of years with their old boy. Mum would ring me and say, "Tomorrow's the day..." I'd ring the next day to see how they were and she'd say, "He perked up and was happy again, so we decided it wasn't time yet." I can't count the number of times that happened. I think that this is just the way it goes with these oldies. One day they're down and the next they're up. There will come a time, though, when you'll be certain and, as you say, at least you'll know exactly what you need to do, so Kuges has given you a dress rehearsal.

Sorry to hear about poor old Kuges Horts.You will know when the time is right but it is good to get all the logistical details settled first.

Our old Saint Beatrice got to 13 and I had many times during her last 2 years when I thought that she would need to be PTS. she used to fall over and couldn't get up sometimes but we'd get her up and she'd toddle off. Other days I'd look at her and she'd give me a look that said she was still coping. Finally one weekend she became distressed as she developed a stomach upset and i knew it was time. the local vet wanted me to bring her in so I ended up getting her into the car and said my goodbyes to her with her head on my lap on the waiting room floor patting her and telling her how much she was loved and trying to reassure her. The man from the crematorium had to come and pick up her body as I don't know how the vet would have coped due to her size.

I still have her ashes as i can't decide where to put them in case we move.

Horts I have spent 2 years on here commiserating with people as I thought my old dog was about to go.

Today she did go. And yes I finally knew that it was time. I had been waiting for the time. I did take her to the vet as she loved going out in the car and did love going to the vet. She wasn't at all stressed. The vet was great. No matter their age, Fern was also 15 and half yo, it is not easy.

:thumbsup:

Our family dog was like this, typical of her really, some days she would be not so great and just when we thought it was time she would perk up and be her old self again, damn dog! :cool:

It's tough, it really is.

Although it's not Kyga's time just yet I still wanted to say that I'm really glad I got to meet your special boy :D :thumbsup:

ETA: JulesP, I'm really sorry about Fern :rofl: Hugs to you.

Edited by amypie

At least I'm now organised for when it IS time. Will let you all know how things go, thanks again and sorry for the more than likely false alarm...feel like a bit of a d***head now. :cool:

Well, silly billy, you should never feel like thatl. With elderly or sick dogs (same as people) there are good days and bad days. On bad days, you think the time has finally come and the next day they rally.

If you can't share the roller coaster of emotions here, where can you. Look at some of the other end of the spectrum, that is whelping, stories we go through: temps taken, dilations, etc etc.

Sounds as though your vet is wise and caring.

Good day for Kuges, share it here.

Bad day for Kuges, share it here.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Mother Moocher

Hi there Horty!

I was hoping this would happen!! So pleased for you!

I guess its like a practice run tho',now you will be better prepared with the details when the time does come and we all want that to be a good ways off yet.

I agree with your vets though,as long as he is aware,eating and happy,slow as is o.k!

I've gone through the same many times now and they have had some realy bad days that would pass just from simple things like an upset tummy.

Hope Kuges is feeling better again today and its just been one of those little things that makes the oldies feel "today is just a lot more work."

Thinking of you Horts and know you will make the decision when it needs to be made. One of our old girls was going in the back legs and one morning I woke up and let her outside and she told me then it was time to let her go. I had to let Dad know we needed to go to the vet, Dad had a horrid time as he had picked up Cindy our cross breed from a shelter as a puppy and flown her home she really was in his heart. Somehow our fur kids can let us know it is time to let them go and for us it is the hardest but most honorable thing you can do for them, Kuges will let you know when he needs to go until then take each day as it comes, enjoy your time with him. Give him a hug from me and my 4 paws and yourself. Hope Kuges has more good days than not so good.

JulesP, so sorry to hear about Fern. Big hugs from one loving dogmum to another. :) 15 1/2 really is a grand old age.

Moosmum, you made me laugh!

I was hoping this would happen!!

Just as well I knew what you meant! :rofl:

Just a quick update...good days, bad nights. He is if anything even stiffer than a few days ago, but is still happy so far. During the daytime, when it's a bit warmer, he is a bit less stiff. In the evenings and at night, he seems to be getting progressively worse.

My ex came over this evening and even though he saw Kuges trip over his own feet and nearly face plant it, ex said he still seems happy so it's not quite time yet. I can only presume he may be stiff but is not in too much pain or he wouldn't seem so happy. I guess if it becomes too painful, I'll see the signs, but I'm guessing I wasn't too far off after all. I'm thinking it's a matter of weeks at the most.

I've thought for years that it couldn't be more than 6 months off, I never imagined the heart meds would buy 4 more years! he's had a couple of incidents that I thought might be it in the last couple of years - the IVS scared the crap out of me but he recovered...mostly (hence the occasional loss of balance and falling over) and he reacted badly to a bee sting over the christmas break and I thought his heart would give up (his first bee sting in his life had to be when he was old and vulnerable - up until then I'd just presumed he didn't react, but somehow he'd managed to avoid being stung almost his entire life, go figure!) In January he had a really flat day where he didn't move and didn't wag his tail and I was in tears thinking that was it but he bounced back the next day as if nothing had happened...

Glad to hear that Kuges is still happy and you have another day with him. :D

You will know when he is not happy and he has had enough Horty. Even tho it will break your heart you will not be able to look at him and know that you are keeping him going for you and not him.

We are all here for you when its time. :):love:

When Rex was PTS Sam was with us when we buried him in the yard. She was very quiet , sniffed all around then came and laid next to us while OH dug the hole. She stayed with us the whole time we were down there.

The next few days she was very quiet, not her usual self...

Horts I have spent 2 years on here commiserating with people as I thought my old dog was about to go.

Today she did go. And yes I finally knew that it was time. I had been waiting for the time. I did take her to the vet as she loved going out in the car and did love going to the vet. She wasn't at all stressed. The vet was great. No matter their age, Fern was also 15 and half yo, it is not easy.

:)

my sincerest sympathies

Nothing very useful to add, just wanted to send you lots of hugs Bec :):love: :D :)

Our boy Jaffa got cancer when he was 8...I think it was November 2005 and he passed in January 2006. He did very well for a little while but suddenly went down hill very rapidly and we realised we had to make the decision. I believe it truly is the most difficult decision you'll ever have to make - as a dog lover anyway - but you know you're doing the right thing and you will always, always cherish the time and memories you had with him.

P.S: Don't worry about feeling stupid. When I thought our other boy, Sebastian, was ready to be put to sleep, I cradled him and bawled for hours...only to have him come home and be perfectly fine :) He did pass a month or two later though.

Edited by iltbyâ„¢

JulesP, so sorry to hear about Fern. Big hugs from one loving dogmum to another. :rainbowbridge: 15 1/2 really is a grand old age.

Moosmum, you made me laugh!

I was hoping this would happen!!

Just as well I knew what you meant! :rainbowbridge:

Just a quick update...good days, bad nights. He is if anything even stiffer than a few days ago, but is still happy so far. During the daytime, when it's a bit warmer, he is a bit less stiff. In the evenings and at night, he seems to be getting progressively worse.

My ex came over this evening and even though he saw Kuges trip over his own feet and nearly face plant it, ex said he still seems happy so it's not quite time yet. I can only presume he may be stiff but is not in too much pain or he wouldn't seem so happy. I guess if it becomes too painful, I'll see the signs, but I'm guessing I wasn't too far off after all. I'm thinking it's a matter of weeks at the most.

I've thought for years that it couldn't be more than 6 months off, I never imagined the heart meds would buy 4 more years! he's had a couple of incidents that I thought might be it in the last couple of years - the IVS scared the crap out of me but he recovered...mostly (hence the occasional loss of balance and falling over) and he reacted badly to a bee sting over the christmas break and I thought his heart would give up (his first bee sting in his life had to be when he was old and vulnerable - up until then I'd just presumed he didn't react, but somehow he'd managed to avoid being stung almost his entire life, go figure!) In January he had a really flat day where he didn't move and didn't wag his tail and I was in tears thinking that was it but he bounced back the next day as if nothing had happened...

Wheew! I'm glad you knew what I meant :rainbowbridge: Glad I made you laugh anyway!

You have likely tried it already,but just in case.... I have terrific and fast results for Lou with the green mussel stuff.

You have likely tried it already,but just in case.... I have terrific and fast results for Lou with the green mussel stuff.

Thanks, but Kuges has been on Joint Guard for about three years, twice yearly cartrophen injections for about six years, and has had Carprofen (Rimadyl) on the bad days for about the same. I'm giving his Carprofen every evening right now, which normally in the past I tried to avoid because of the possible liver or kidney damage (I can never remember which) when used too often. At the moment, the possible side effects are the least of my worries as I don't think it'll have time to be an issue.