Is The Apbt A Lost Cause?

Is The APBT A Lost Cause?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Is The APBT A Lost Cause?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Abigail go to this website and read this.

http://www.realpitbull.com/myths.html

“Pit Bulls have more bite pressure per square inch (PSI) than any

other breed.” This is absolutely false.

Tests that have been done comparing the bite pressure of several

breeds showed pressure PSI (per square inch) to be considerably lower

than some wild estimates that have been made. Testing has shown that

the domestic dog averages about 320 lbs of pressure per square inch.

Recently Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic conducted a comparative

test between a Pit Bull, a Rottweiler, and a German Shepherd. The Pit

Bull had the LOWEST PSI OF THE THREE.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Jackie but I must say I have my reservations about those tests. I haven't clicked on the link but have read the bit you copied and pasted, I will do so tomorrow. TO say that the pitbull had the lowest PSI sounds far fetched to me. Can't help but wonder if Dr. Barr is a pitbull aficionado :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Jackie but I must say I have my reservations about those tests. I haven't clicked on the link but have read the bit you copied and pasted, I will do so tomorrow. TO say that the pitbull had the lowest PSI sounds far fetched to me. Can't help but wonder if Dr. Barr is a pitbull aficionado :thumbsup:

You don't want to believe it because it's not what goes along with your theories. APBT are the smallest dog of the 3 why wouldn't they have the lowest? it's plain physics.

Just what i was looking for, ive heard the roomer many times that an ABPT bites harder then any other breed ect, Its all rubbish.

Theres many articles that people have tested and the APBT came in about 7 or 8 breeds down,

But why we would see more attacks from pit x's? ( if that is the case?) its' that there are way way more around then boxers.

and yes tend to attract some real idiots, and these are most likely the ones putting a bad name to the dogs, But There is way more people that love and give there life to the breed to have them gone. It wont happen.

You don't want to believe it because it's not what goes along with your theories. APBT are the smallest dog of the 3 why wouldn't they have the lowest? it's plain physics.

Pitbulls are not all that much smaller than a boxer or a german shepherd and they are powerfully built with a jaw that is far larger than that of quite a few breeds.

Pitbulls are not all that much smaller than a boxer or a german shepherd and they are powerfully built with a jaw that is far larger than that of quite a few breeds.

If you saw an APBT the size of a GSD or a boxer you would really shock alot of people. Mabey an amstaff or a pitbull cross.

Like i sed most people dont know squat about a real APBT.

Thanks for that Jackie but I must say I have my reservations about those tests. I haven't clicked on the link but have read the bit you copied and pasted, I will do so tomorrow. TO say that the pitbull had the lowest PSI sounds far fetched to me. Can't help but wonder if Dr. Barr is a pitbull aficionado :laugh:

If you saw an APBT the size of a GSD or a boxer you would really shock alot of people. Mabey an amstaff or a pitbull cross.

Like i sed most people dont know squat about a real APBT.

Some of the pitbulls that are being bred now in the US are bloody huge.

Just to clarify my response:

No - i dont believe its a lost cause, the 'good' owners out there will continue to do the right thing but unfortunately for every good owners there are probably several bad ones :laugh: making it an uphill struggle.

I feel akitas have 'flown under the radar' so to speak on this issue for much longer than i thought they would - simply because there arent too many around and most of the breeders seem fairly intent on making sure they dont fall into the wrong hands. A strong 'united front' is needed to deal with BSL IMO

The ones in America Abi are all cross bred with American bullies etc to make them roid munchingly huge. A TRUE pitbull is a light framed athletic dog who is quick and very very sporty i.e enjoys running moving. Not like these specimens you see now a day they weigh an excess of 40 kilos and have heads on them like mastiffs and are slow and big.

It's a misconception people always have. Pitbulls are massive and bigger than most dogs its false. Pitbulls should weigh between 10 - 30 kilos ideally. But now they range from 20 - 60 kilos. Just because we have been exposed to images of these giants doesn't mean thats what the breed represents. Most images they use on news programs to show the pitbull are american bully hybrids with cropped ears (which everyone knows isn't legall in Aus) so the media bombards us with these images so people will think this is what the pitbull looks like.

When in reality it doesn't.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by jackie_a1

60kg ???? :clap:

There is no APBT anywhere even close to that. Even half that weight is near the upper end of the scale.

My dog is about 18kg.

Minimum weight in the UKC standard is about 13.5kg.

I have personally not seen what I felt I could identify as a purebred APBT which looked like it weighed anymore than 33 - 34kg at most, and I have not seen a great deal that size. Pedigree AST's get that big alot more frequently than non AST's. My neighbour has one, crikey his a big unit.

They seem to have lots like that in America. I don't know what they are but they sure are big. I think here in Australia the majority are 15 - 30kg. Certainly growing up around the St George area when I first learned of APBT's as a kid, the 15 - 20kg rednose was the most common APBT around, that is all I ever knew of APBT's for a long time.

Edited by Lo Pan

Abigail

Have you ever actually SEEN a Pitbull in real life?

Thanks for that Jackie but I must say I have my reservations about those tests. I haven't clicked on the link but have read the bit you copied and pasted, I will do so tomorrow. TO say that the pitbull had the lowest PSI sounds far fetched to me. Can't help but wonder if Dr. Barr is a pitbull aficionado

Dr Barr's research echoes research done by others over the years.

Are you in denial?

JackieA1

Most images they use on news programs to show the pitbull are american bully hybrids with cropped ears (which everyone knows isn't legall in Aus) so the media bombards us with these images so people will think this is what the pitbull looks like.

the photo the the "pitbull" which always accompanied every story in the SMH was actually a cross bred pound dog, but he looked as if he was a killer, so they used that and they still use it. And he looked like a big boy, but it is doubtful that he actually contained any pb blood.

Lo Pan believe it or not I have seen a 'pitbull' at 60 kilos. He wasn't pure bred (BASED ON MY OPINIONS) but his owner was adamant he was. It was while I was in the states. He was a neighbour of my uncle. His dog looked more like an American bully cross. In Australia I haven't seen anyone with a dog that big but it's quite common in the states.

Razor is cross bullmastiff cross pitbull and he only weighs 37 kilos. The majority of his looks is bullmastiff so that's where the weight comes from definitely not from the pitt side.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm

Weight: 22 -110 pounds (10-50 kg)

Please Note: The APBT ranges in size from 22 pounds to 110 pounds (rare), with the most common being between 35 - 55 pounds (16-25 kg.), in fact the original APBT's were between 20 - 40 pounds (9-18 kg.) and were bred small for their main purpose, fighting, These dogs are varying from small to extra large. A very common misconception is that APBT's are muscle bound (viscous) hulks that weigh in around 85 pounds (39 kg.) and this is generally not the majority, Most of the APBT's that Are that large have been crossed with another breeds.

Errm Amstaffs should not be bigger than an APBT

Standard says 18-19 inches, I am sure. Most of the Amstaffs in the show ring are WAY over that standard, but yeah.......

My current boy is 19 inches tall and weighs about 30kgs. Compare that to my Keeshonds who are 18 inches tall and weigh about 15kgs.......

60kg ???? :clap:

:clap: That would have been seriously something to see back In the day when Pits were carried under the arms by dogmen. Just goes to show how off track "Some" breeders have gone In their pursuit to breed the bigger dog, which off course are now the American Bully

The States love everything big, not sure why but even their Dobes seem way bigger than they were originally bred.

ETA: coz I can't spell

Edited by RottnBullies

So true Rott.

I suggested that perhaps his pit had cane corso in it and I was met with a massive lecture about his breeder blah blah blah it was one of those ok nod and agree. Plus I was an 'AUSSIE' so I knew nothing about pitbulls in the American line according to him.

But so true imagine carrying these 'pitbulls' back in the day you'd probably have to strap a saddle on them instead.

Some of the pitbulls that are being bred now in the US are bloody huge.

once again, people have no clue, they are not American pitbull terriers, they are American bullys, a pitbull type dog that are breed for looks and size. And yes they are HUGE compared to the REAL APBT.

60kg ???? :D

There is no APBT anywhere even close to that. Even half that weight is near the upper end of the scale.

My dog is about 18kg.

Minimum weight in the UKC standard is about 13.5kg.

I have personally not seen what I felt I could identify as a purebred APBT which looked like it weighed anymore than 33 - 34kg at most, and I have not seen a great deal that size. Pedigree AST's get that big alot more frequently than non AST's. My neighbour has one, crikey his a big unit.

They seem to have lots like that in America. I don't know what they are but they sure are big. I think here in Australia the majority are 15 - 30kg. Certainly growing up around the St George area when I first learned of APBT's as a kid, the 15 - 20kg rednose was the most common APBT around, that is all I ever knew of APBT's for a long time.

Yep the Americans now have their American bully clubs, not even close to to the original, most are short and square mastiff looking dogs but they chop the ears off to avoid the big floppy look.

My male is way over size and has 7-10kgs over his litter mates at 35kgs,(dam 20kgs, sire 32kgs) well proportioned at about 20-21 inches, even the breeder was surprised how big he is as the biggest dog she's had is about 28kgs tops, and most of her dogs wouldn't exceed 24kgs.