Earthlings

I thought some dolers might be interested in watching this.

Note the warning below. I didnt get very far in and had to stop. There are some pretty disturbing images.

10 mins 30 seconds in, they start showing puppy mills :) That was me out.

I might try and have a go again later as it looks like it will be a brilliant doco. I will be interested to hear peoples thoughts who do watch it.

Was going to post in OT but thought as its dog related I would post here. Hope that ok.

Earthlings is a powerful and informative documentary about society’s treatment of animals, narrated by Joaquin Phoenix with soundtrack by Moby. This multi-award winning film by Nation Earth is a must-see for anyone who cares about animals or wishes to make the world a better place.

WARNING: Earthlings contains graphic footage that may be distressing to some viewers. Whilst this film is sometimes challenging, few who watch it are not moved by its message.

http://www.unleashed.org.au/features/earthlings/

I watched right through part 1 about pets and couldn't stop crying. I have always felt ashamed to be part of the human race, this just reinforces my attitude towards people. Some are good, but the majority are power hungry, selfish oxygen thiefs.

Problem is, people who couldn't care less aren't going to watch this.

Very sad :)

I'm certainly not going to watch it.

Today on ABC Television I watched "Talking Heads". Christine Townend, the founder of Animal Liberation in Australia, was interviewed by Peter Thompson and during the show, piggeries and poultry farms were shown. I just can't watch. Those poor animals - just so human beings can have more food that can ever be consumed.

What I find horrible, is that even knowing how animals and birds farmed for food are treated, the whole nation doesn't rise up in horror and indignation and have it stopped.

Today on ABC Television I watched "Talking Heads". Christine Townend, the founder of Animal Liberation in Australia, was interviewed by Peter Thompson and during the show, piggeries and poultry farms were shown. I just can't watch. Those poor animals - just so human beings can have more food that can ever be consumed.

What I find horrible, is that even knowing how animals and birds farmed for food are treated, the whole nation doesn't rise up in horror and indignation and have it stopped.

we dont even rise up in horror and indignation knowing that some of our aged citizens are living below the poverty line.

we have lost the ability to be horrified i think because of sensory overload. we have so many images and information bombarding us we have no time to stop and process the data.

Sorry I felt sick and couldn't watch the whole thing :) It's extremely graphic and disturbing.

Those poor cows screaming and writhing in the kosher meat factory finally did my head in. I've not heard a cow scream like that before. I felt physically ill.

I find it chilling the multitude of ways we have of killing life.

I'd be curious as to what the general publics reaction would be if we were all shown the different places meat comes from. Until you see the processes, and how the animals can suffer, I wonder if you tend not to think about it too much. Do you think we'd be outraged, or we'd generally prefer not to know?

Guest belgian.blue

I'm not easliy disturbed but frig, that was horrid. I watched up until the dog being put in the dumpster ..

The whole nation doesn't rise up in horror because when the images start getting graphic they turn it off or can't watch it.

I watched it all. I cried and it pained me to watch but my pain fails in comparison. I think if you are an animal lover you need to watch it. Watch it, inform yourself with what is happening let those images burn into your mind so next time you pick up indian leather or buy a wallet you think twice. Or next time your friend is eating a burger you can let them know what they're eating.

I had to switch to another tab on my internet browser because I couldn't watch that. I lost it and closed the video when they were showing how they killed the pigs.

It should be mandatory for every person to watch this film. How sickening the way we treat animals.

How can it be mandatory for every person to watch the film when you yourself (as an animal lover and owner) couldn't watch it? Do you think people who don't own animals or like them will care?

I watched up until the dumpster, and i'm horrified...

I will watch the rest when I'm not at work so i can cry my eyes out.

Human beings can be a horrible, horrible race.

Sorry, I wont be watching it. The comments here are disturbing enough for me. I still have etched in my memory a photograph I saw as a child of a dog being mistreated as it was waiting for slaughter, and also the film Mondo Cane that I saw when I must have been about 7 :)

Edited by Kirislin

I think if you are an animal lover you need to watch it. Watch it, inform yourself with what is happening let those images burn into your mind so next time you pick up indian leather or buy a wallet you think twice.

This is why I want to watch it but dont know if I will be able too. Some close friends have watched it and said im going to have a really hard time with it.

Like you said though, our pain fails in comparison.

I know the shocking way humans treat animals AND each other. I am not going to watch a video which would put an end to what little peace I do have left.

I do what I can by being vegetarian, by spreading the word, by having a car covered in stickers, by t-shirts, etc etc.

I have been having correspondence with members of Parliament, etc etc.

I don't have the speaking skills to be standing on a street corner; I don't have the moral or physical courage that people like Christine Townend do, to face up to a gathering of tough angry waterside workers and cattlemen and women.

Tune your radios and televisions to the ABC for a week and you will find that top of the news are two things: sport and the economy.

Speaking generally, I have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of lip service paid to the horrors of the way animals are treated, but when it comes down to whether people's entertainment or wallets are affected, well forget it.

That was so, so upsetting...truly incomprehensible :) I could only watch the trailer...I don't think those images will leave my mind for a while. I can't understand how the human race can be so inhumane. I don't know what else to say...you just wish you could make it stop.

I was actually a MASSIVE meat eater up until yesterday. I'm converting my family too. I am only going to eat meat once a month and slowly I think I may become vegetarian.

I am going to show my family the documentary today I spoke to my Mother about it and she has already turned off meat. We bought veges for dinner gonna make a hecktik soup. I went shopping today also for shoes and I made sure to not buy ANY leather products and checked where it was made.

Thankyou for posting the link to this video it truly has opened my eyes.

I was actually a MASSIVE meat eater up until yesterday. I'm converting my family too. I am only going to eat meat once a month and slowly I think I may become vegetarian.

I am going to show my family the documentary today I spoke to my Mother about it and she has already turned off meat. We bought veges for dinner gonna make a hecktik soup. I went shopping today also for shoes and I made sure to not buy ANY leather products and checked where it was made.

Thankyou for posting the link to this video it truly has opened my eyes.

It'll be tough, Jackie_a1, but when you weaken, just think of the video. Obviously I still buy meat for the dogs, but frankly, even having to do that makes me think of the animal that once was living and sometimes I feel quite sick.

I now find myself almost in tears sometimes and I also find myself thanking the chickens as I put them in the stockpot for the dogs.

I watched the whole thing and I have to say I don't think I have watched anything as upsetting to do with animals! I am in shock at the cruelty and disregard by humans for the pain & suffering of an animal. I know the meat we eat,some of the clothes we wear etc all come from an animal being slaughtered, but am shocked by the cruel, unfeeling way it is often done. I truly am appalled, and it will have an impact on how I eat, shop, and watch from now on.

The quote that impacted me at the end "...It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal..." is so powerful! If only it were true for everyone!

Edited by shellbyville

Thanks for the support guys honestly what affected me also was all the diseases caused by hormone ravaged animals were eating. I'm a type one diabetic so it's obviously genetic but roid raged chickens for dinner can't be good for anyone.

I was sickened that they threw the dog in the dumpster. He was just looking out like It's ok master I still love you.

The dirty inbred hillbillies bashing the pigs are disgusting. I have never been so disgusted in my life ever. Have some respect for those who provide for you everything.

I'm going to email this video to everyone I know.

This whole video just makes me so angry ;) ! Humanity is the worst plague the Earth has ever had to suffer.

What the hell can I do about it? I don't have money to donate, and even if I did, how do I know that this money is actually helping anyone? Is it going to pay someones salary or is it actually helping?

So I go vegan, that saves 100 animals a year. Thats it though!!

There are still millions suffering these disgusting practices all around the world. The farms will keep farming, the fishers keep fishing.

The government do nothing because animals are considered lower class than people.

My mum said, what about the children that are abused in the foster care system, or even in their own homes? The wifes that get beaten by husbands and get no justice? Half the world goes hungry, how can you expect people to care about animals when they don't even care about their own kind.

I just feel so incredibly helpless. :thumbsup:

What the hell can I do!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Hey love me!

Well you can start by informing yourself and others of the malicious practice of animal slaughter. The children abused, wives people etc all have voices. They have the ability to speak they may choose not to but they can speak or write etc.

Animals don't speak.

They suffer in silence. Speak for those who have no voice of their own :thumbsup:

P.S (did you get my pm it was long and it didn't show up in sent items!)

And they say that humans are the ...er... Master race because of our intelligence.

I'm a meat eater, and really eating meat is not the problem as many animals are also carnivores and must kill for their food, no begrudging that.....after all a healthy ecosystem needs carnivores to maintain an ecological balance of species.

I do object to the methods used by humans for the genocide of certain species of animals such as farm stock for human consumption. The halal method is actually far worse than western society methods, but they are all horrific.....but we all continue to eat meat, so a production line process is required.....who can change that...I don't have the answer.

I saw a video once that was about those hideous splatter movies. This footage was a japanese woman in stilleto's killing a kitten by stomping on it.....it has stayed in my mind forever since as the most horrific act I have ever seen on a poor defenceless and trusting animal. How I wished there was I way i could have thrown that bimbo off a high rise building or cable tied her to a land mine. The only suggestion I have is de-sexing of animal cruelty perpertrators and their families so their gene pool is not able to continue.