What Do You And Your Dog/s Do?

I just thought i'd start this topic since i'm looking into a variety of things to do with my dogs starting this year. And since i was curious i figured others out there might be as well :o If nothing else it will be good to see what sports and types of training people do with their dogs, it might give others ideas one what they can do and where.

My older dog, rotti x lab, does obedience and that's pretty much it. He had an unusual averson to frisbee and will only sometimes play in the back yard, usually so the pup doesn't get all the attention. Lure coursing proved a bit of a flop as he ran on the puppy run...just not after the lure...just sort of in a casual direction of his own until he resonded to a friends recall command at the catching area. I may try tracking as i am hoping to get the pup started this year but it will depend on how quickly i train up :thumbsup:

My pup, GSD, is already doing obedience, has started frisbee training and is also requiring me to follow less and less when doing the puppy run at lure coursing. I will be looking into tracking, agility and possibily herding for him this year depending on what gets him going. Much of this stuff he can not do fully yet and won't until he is old enough and grown up enough, but he can start on the basics and work up from there. He has started as a bit of a therapy dog as he has been allowed to go with me on a visit to a hospice, he proved extremely well behaved and even the nurses were impressed. He will be going again this weekend but for now it's just an in family thing, perhaps after things are sorted i might look into doing it properly.

I might well look into other things depending on what is out there but may need to get a second job to pay for it all though :crazy::rofl:

Kit

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done agility with my older two (they got their AD and JD) and Brat Boy is currently in training. Should hopefully start trialling in at least jumpers at Easter. BB was shown but didn't set the world on fire. He doesn't seem to care.

I haven't been humiliated enough lately so its probably time to start obedience trialling again... I'll start again with the older boy who's trialled but not qualified in Novice.

I also enjoy taking the dogs lure coursing at Erskine Park when I can.

Am toying with the idea of tracking... FHR reckons I should give it a go.

I'd love to train Ted (older boy) in some gundog work but have difficulty finding someone willing to let me try him out... he loves to retrieve. FHR might step up to the plate if I nag her enough.

Lily the toy poodle would be a kick arse Shutzhund dog if only the person to be attacked dressed up as a cow... or was covered in food. She excells in panhandling and barking at cows (either live or on TV)

I probably just like taking them swimming and walking more than anything. :thumbsup:

Of course, I do sprinkler attack work with them. Ted and Darcy (aka BB) are both very keen...

Edited by poodlefan

Both Rough collie and weim do obedience (but they dont like it much). The Rough Collie has been trying agility but she absolutely will not go up the A-frame scramble. Jumping she may try under one of the alternative systems as they ANKC heights are a little unkind to her. She does herding which she adores. This year she will start tracking.

The weim due to illness has had a lazy time of it, but now fit and well is starting agility and will like the collie commence tracking this year.

The pittie/ridgeback has a laid back lifestyle - the most active he gets is chasing birds. Tried teaching him frisbee, but once he realise he had to give it back and not eat it, he gave up.

Edited by dogdayz

Thanks Molasseslass for posting those links :thumbsup:, I was being lazy in not hunting them down to post myself.

Feel free all to post links if and where possible so that others can have a good sticky beak on what others are talking about :crazy:. Could make it easier for those curious enough to be interested to see if any of these sports and such are located anywhere near them, etc etc.

My older Vizsla currently competes in Agility, Jumping and Obedience. We train each week in obedience, hoping to one day get through an entire UD trial :crazy: We train ocassionally in agility now, used to be much more into it. We have dabbled in tracking and he is great, I am hopeless. The drought has not made it any easier for us but I do intend to try again, hopefully this year!! He has also done the Endurance Test and we are hoping to do Open Gundog Working Tests soemtime too.

My younger Vizsla competes in Agility, Jumping, Obedience, Retrieving and Conformation oh and the odd GWT but we much prefer retrieving trials. We train fairly regularly in Agility and less often in obedience :thumbsup: Retrieving requires a lot of work, although we've been pretty slack over Christmas. We also had a couple goes at Lure Coursing last year and he absolutely LOVED it, knew exactly what to and I think it's the ultimate handler sport, let 'em go and leave it to them :rofl: We have started some training in flyball but can't stand the noise. He may do the endurance test one year if we can't find anything else to do that day :o

My Whippet trains hard at being a couch potato and unfortunately is carrying the extra weight to prove that he mastered this art over the holidays. We are both set to hit the road and do some cycling to help us both in fitness. I may dust him off and put him back in the show ring sometime this year too. Oh, we tried Lure coursing.. he was hopeless.

Can you tell I like to try everything we can??

The Dobe & Shih Tzu X are laxy sods who don't doo much these days lol.

The Newf is the guardian of the house.

The Border Terrier pup will be doing confirmation shows, some obedience and hopefully Flyball &/or agility when he is physically matue enough.

The new dog, if she stays (Kelpie X Whippet we think) will do obedience and Flyball/Agility as well.

UUUMMMM OK..... (stop showing off Molassielassie :thumbsup: )

We do....

Silly Buggers - can be done anywhere at any time and anyone standing by may judge - we always get score very highly in this one. There are different categories including dog and handler (ie. wrestling) and dog by himself - includes butt tucking puppy zoomies.

Hide and Seek - Done inside, usually late at night after handler has had a few drinks and is bored. Dog sit/stay and handler goes to hide - on command dog must find handler. A short round of silly buggers then follows. Handler may sit while dog hides (but dog always hides in the same place and handler may get bored).

I can't find any links to these sports.

If only there were titles available!

Blacklab writes:

I can't find any links to these sports.

If only there were titles available!

You can always start your own sporting association or seek incorporation under the ANKC.

(Writes the President of the Sprinkler Sporting Dog Association of Australia)

Our titles.

Sprinkler Dog (SD) shows sustained motivation to attack and tame domestic sprinklers or hoses.

Sprinkler Dog Excellent (SDX) same standard but on public grounds sprinkler systems eg. ovals, dog club etc.

Sprinkler Dog Masters (SDM) same again but on agricultural sprinklers...

I have one SD dog and one SDX. Need to spend some time on a farm to gain some SDM titles.

With Zoe (kelpie X) I did obedience and agility. She liked obedience and LOVED agility, although retrieving was difficult for her. Unfortunately, she doesn't like other dogs and until she either miraculously decides to behave or I feel like stressing out has been retired. Although I have been looking into canine freestyle a bit and teaching her heaps of tricks (she also loves this!) - although of course we can't compete because of her problem. But I may be using her as a demo dog for friends and family gatherings. Her latest tricks are 'bow' and 'spin', we are working on 'crawl'.

With Diesel (GSD), the plan is competitive obedience. He is showing great promise in focus and heeling, and is fast in his response to commands. He has even got the hang of the left about turns and scooting his bum around for them (after a lot of work!). Dumbell work and retrieving is proving a challenge - I think I need more work in teaching it! He thinks he is supposed to pick up the dumbell and chuck it somewhere. :thumbsup: Will be getting tips next week.

I would like to try tracking with Diesel, but it looks really time consuming. I think Diesel is too slow and doesn't corner well enough for agility (well, after training a super fast quick turning kelpie anyway). Don't think I am quite ready for the commitment for Schutzhund, maybe the next dog (if the next is a Malinois :crazy: )

Edited to add: I have also done some scent detection work with Zoe, she loved it! May get back into that and also try it with Diesel. Just need more time . . .

Edited by Lia

Why do you laugh Black Lab.. we have a SDX black lab in the Association. :thumbsup:

I could only imagine that the black lab is top of the sport!! Poppy thinks that rain is for dancing in.... what else could it be for? She is only at the hose taming part of her training at the moment - Mama needs to go buy a AKC approved sprinkler so we can get down to serious business.

The new dog, if she stays (Kelpie X Whippet we think) will do obedience and Flyball/Agility as well.

Any pictures of this dog?? Sounds lovely :rofl:

Sadly I don't have a digital camera, but when I get the film developed (yes, we are still living in the dark ages :crazy: ) I will definately post them! She is gorgeous, if not a few kilos overweight hehe.

Iko (named after the Aussie racehorse) is a very smart girl, didn't appear to know any commands but will sit & drop 95% of the time I ask her to (without treats!) so she's definately got a brain lol and she's taken to leaping over the back of the couch to sit next to us so she's certainly very agile :thumbsup:

Should do well with her.

Where do i start haha, Im training Nova in

Obedience

Agility

Flyball

Conformation

Pet Therapy/CGC

Tracking

Endurance

(trying) Retrieving Trials

Want to move to QLD so he can do Lure Coursing and get titles

(trying) to do Frisbee hes not too happy about running and catching prefers to go out stand there and then let me throw it for him to catch.

I am aways willing to try everything so if new things come up i will give them ago too :mad

Darcy is also be trained in obedience, Therapy and is practicing on standing still for more then 2 seconds (conformation)

I think thats it :laugh:

Natasha

Guest cloverfdch
I haven't been humiliated enough lately so its probably time to start obedience trialling again... I'll start again with the older boy who's trialled but not qualified in Novice.

LMAO this sounds so familar *Cough* Clover *Cough* :laugh:.

Clover and i are training/ competing in

Flyball ( She got her AFCh title last year)

Obedience, which we are going to start trialing again in the next couple of months.

I want to start tracking with her, but dont want to get up at 5am in -5 degree's to train in Winter :eek:.

And hopefully when one of the breed clubs have an open day for Lure Coursing we will give it a go, i have been wanting to do it for a few years now.

Now with Elvis, we are training in.....

Flyball :mad, dont ask how training went Tuesday night.

Agility, hopefully he will be up to trialling in atleast jumpers at Warnambool this year.

Obedience, or should that be DisObedience :(. Also hopefully start trialling in the next few months.

We are also doing trick training a bit, but someone is a bit hyperactive and has trouble focusing LOL.

I also do not know what a weekend is.

I am trialling dexter in novice obedience at the moment. Hopefully we'll get our CD on saturday. Cross your fingers!

I am about to start obedience trialling with Rocket and Grace.

I am also entering conformation with Solo the pointer baby - we have our first show in 2 weeks and am very nervous.

Of course, this is all on top of training all of them as service dogs for the disabled!