Dobermann Wanted

TUPS

I've got to say that, if i was looking at getting a dog for Obedience, I would much rather get a puppy! - you have a much better chance of forming a deep bond.

ETA - I would be hesitant in selling or giving someone an older dog purely because they "didn't want to go through the puppy stage"- doesn't show much committment. Not that I'm implying this is the OP's reason - just a prejudice of mine.

Wow, ouch.. Cant believe that you would judge me because I made a joke about not wanting to going through the puppy stage, ie. peeing on floor...

Actually - I was replying to Earthdogs post

Commitment, my dogs and cats have all died of old age, or illness, I am VERY committed to a dog, thus the reason I am looking for an older dog rather than a cute puppy!!!

In relation to your comment about forming a "deeper bond" there are many working dogs, both in the Defence force, Police Force, Customs etc that are exceptional working dogs with a deep bond with their handler who were obtained from the pound as an older dog!!! And for you to say that just because someone hasn't had their dog from puppyhood wouldn't have as much chance of developing a deep bond with their dog, then really... I do take exception to that. Because I assure you that people who have obtained a dog who wasn't a puppy has exactly the same ability of forming a deep bond than someone who gets a puppy!

Sorry but I know I am a great dog owner, who give my dogs everything, they are very much part of my family and I am totally committed to them!

I did say, just a prejudice of mine - I got Harrison when he was 6 months old and do wonder how he would be if I had got him younger. Niki, who is in my signature, I had from birth - so plenty of time for bonding there.

Hi Tups,

I know of one that may well suit you,if Sydney is not too far? but don't know how to pm!

Would love to know more about the dog you think is suitable.

Look forward to finding out more :o)

Edited by TUPS

I've got to say that, if i was looking at getting a dog for Obedience, I would much rather get a puppy! - you have a much better chance of forming a deep bond.

ETA - I would be hesitant in selling or giving someone an older dog purely because they "didn't want to go through the puppy stage"- doesn't show much committment. Not that I'm implying this is the OP's reason - just a prejudice of mine.

I have to beg to differ there. When I decided to get my previous girl "Kal" (bhcs), I was at the time well ensconced in a different business and the hours I worked were to the ridiculous. I wanted/needed a dog who would be happy to sit if I was sitting, but ready to come out for walks/runs with me when I was. I didn't believe I'd have the time for the attention a puppy would require for all the vigilance of house-training etc. and that would not have been fair on a pup. But I was more than ready for a dog to provide me with the companionship I was after and also something that would make me take a break from my work (home office). I adopted Kal when she was 7yo and I have to say that I don't think anyone would or could have been any more dedicated and committed to a dog than I was to her and vice versa.

I appreciate the uncertainty you might have in your mind when people might say "not a puppy", PF, but I think commitment and dedication occurs more often than you might think in those cases.

Edited by Erny

Thanks everyone who has contacted me... I have found the most beautiful german pinscer (sorry about the spelling) and am going to give him a forever home...

Also just one other thought, there are always plenty of people who are keen to take on a puppy, often it's the older dogs no one seems to want... I am happy to take on a problem dobe, one who may have proved to be a bit much for someone... That's just me, but also having picked up after babies for the past 2 yrs, I am over anyone, or any dog peeing on my floor!!! :(

I am the same, much prefer a dog over 5 months. Both my current two were 'late' to my family , one at 5 months and one at 9 months

Also just one other thought, there are always plenty of people who are keen to take on a puppy, often it's the older dogs no one seems to want... I am happy to take on a problem dobe, one who may have proved to be a bit much for someone... That's just me, but also having picked up after babies for the past 2 yrs, I am over anyone, or any dog peeing on my floor!!! :(

I am the same, much prefer a dog over 5 months. Both my current two were 'late' to my family , one at 5 months and one at 9 months

Our Dobe came here at 4 years old.

A bit of "retraining" - TLC :heart: - and she's my shadow - and my protector.

She's never really got over ALL her issues but she's just so far ahead now it's amazing.

She will even insist on coming into the house when the vacuum is running now because I am in here - licking her lips with nervousness the whole time, poor girl. But that certainly beats running down to the fartest fence to get away - and taking all morning to come back to the house. I have NO IDEA what she experienced before she came here. :doh:

A total agility failure - but I really don't care. :laugh: