Books. I Want Books :)

I just bought "The other end of the leash" and have got on order "How to Speak Dog" but I am wondering if people can recommend some more books for me.

I am particularly after books about Canine Communication and reading dog behaviour. Not so much training (though that comes into it I know).

Are there some books out there that people cannot live without?

I have The Dog Whisperer but found it a little odd.

Does anyone have this book? If Dogs could Talk

Any advice is very much welcome!

Edited by TianaKaeSha

Havent finished reading it yet but a new book i got is called Train the Wolf in your Dog by Diane Morgan. Its basically all about dog behaviour, its not the compare the wolf to your dog sort a thing just explains them in their own right. Its really hard to explain but its a great book so far :mad

The Other End of the Leash is the best, hands down.

If you want some more hardcore training theory stuff then "How Dogs Learn" is great.

Bones would rain from the sky is good for relationship stuff.

The Rosetta Bone is *great*.

Nat

Hi tianaKawSha. :rolleyes:

I have a few books that are related to understanding dogs.

If I start at Pavlov and add all the textbooks that I have collected over the 5 years during which I formally studied Psychology, will that make all the other dog books redundant?

:rolleyes:

Edited by pewithers

I have just received 'Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete. I will let you know after I have read some.

I got a lot of insight into dog's minds and pack behaviour from a book called "The Dog Man" by Martin McKenna. He was a homeless boy in Ireland that ended up living with a pack of dogs - first hand experience of becoming the Alpha Dog in a pack!! Some of his stuff is a little harsh - I read it before I got my first pup and I had to wonder whether I would ever enjoy being a dog owner after I had read it!! If you can sort the useful stuff from the stuff you might think is a little over the top it will no doubt give you some insight into dog behaviour.

The second edition of the monks book is pretty good as they admit the alpha roll aint the greatest idea. A lot of people don't like them because of that, but it was one of the first books I read and I found a lot of good in it.

I don't really like Stanley Coren's books to be honest, but How to speak dog was pretty good.

Nat

No such thing as a don't go there book for me - I read everything and take what I want, otherwise you end up with only one view point (either all positive, all traditional etc).

There are two books only that I've not finished because I found them useless for me - The Dog Whisperer and Stephen Budiansky's "The Truth about Dogs".

Nat

I dont particually like the new book by the Skete Monks its seems to be the only dog they are able to train are German Shepherds the best dog trainer i reckon can train an Afghan to a high level in obedience now that is skill!! havent seen a trainer do that can anyone recommended someone?

Natasha

the best dog trainer i reckon can train an Afghan to a high level in obedience now that is skill!! havent seen a trainer do that can anyone recommended someone?

Natasha

Diane Bauman trained her rescue Afghan to a CDX, MX, MXJ and I think a FCh in lure coursing. I believe she also put an OTCh on a rescue pekingese. She wrote a book called "Beyond Basic Dog Training". I think it has been revised a few times. She is known for finding rescues of non-traditional obedience breeds and kicking @$$ with them in the ring. You might try her book.