Books. I Want Books :)

There are two books only that I've not finished because I found them useless for me - The Dog Whisperer and Stephen Budiansky's "The Truth about Dogs".

Nat

Must agree about The Dog Whisperer. I borrowed it from the library and couldnt get much past chapter 1, but mainly because she claims to have discovered all these wonderful things that I had read elsewhere anyway, then she put them into a really weird context. Havent see The Truth About Dogs.

Edited by helen

Merson - there was also an Afghan doing agility here. It was before I started trialling so never got to see it but certainly heard about it, they said it looked spectacular running the course.

There was also a Pekignese doing agility at last year's Royal show. The lady came up and her dog was having a little play with Bella, I assumed that she was there to show until I saw her dog in the agility ring.

One of my classmates at TAFE titled an Afghan, a Geryhound and another sighthound (don't remember which one) in obedience! I was impressed. She said it was a challenge. She got lots of comments from other competitors about her breed choice. She even did tracking with the greyhound.

When I did agility there were about 2 or 3 Afghans there. Lovely dogs that were also shown in conformation. Zoe didn't mind them so we were able to talk a bit (for some reason, she doesn't mind the sighthounds as much as other breeds - maybe because they are more aloof and tend to ignore her?).

I enjoyed 'The Dogs Mind' and 'How Dogs Learn' for training and psychology.

I also have a few books on Schutzhund and competitive obedience which I find helpful for new ideas and new ways to teach things, actual exercises to try.

My next mission is to get some DVDs from Leerburg. I have borrowed the competitive heeling one and aim to buy it. Also looking into getting the motivational retrieving DVD as we are running into problems there, and maybe a tracking one or scent detection one.

I have had a $40.00 gift certificate from Amazon.com for over a year. I just bought:

Culture Clash

The Other End of the Leash

On Talking Terms with Dog

With shipping it was even-steven with my GC!!! I should get them next week. It will be fun to read up again. Sometimes even after many years it is a good idea to refresh the brain!!!

oooh. That's the book I almost bought.... so its not worth it?

You guys just saved me $23 :whip:

I don't think so nope. A lot of it is just her personal stuff, and then the rest is like she's suddenly discovered dogs are related to wolves :whip: It's not *bad* as such, just useless IMO. Everything in it isn't new and is discussed in better books.

Nat

Hi TianaKaeSha. :mad

I have just acquired "The Other End of the Leash"

I'm going to have a fabulous Sunday afternoon.

I also ordered "Bedtime Stories for Dogs".

Bedtime Stories has to be sent from the UK and takes 6 weeks.

:mad