Upset Tummy

my dog Jaxx is a 2 year old Boston Terrier who has an upset tummy. she has had this for almost a week.

i took her to the vet on wednesday as i thought maybe she had eaten something and had a blockage but the vet felt her tummy and said it felt fine.

he said i could give her probiotics if she didnt get better.

so this weekend i started her on yakult and yogurt as the vet was shut and i will get dog probiotics on monday.

i have reduced her food to make sure she doesnt over load her tummy but she looks so miserable i dont know what else to do.

i have her in bed at the moment with the electric blanket on because she seems to feel better when warm.

any suggestions on what i can do to make her feel better?

ETS she burps and has a little throw up with only a teaspoon of liquid is thrown up

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Take her back to the vet. Sorry - but feeling a dog's belly alone will not find a blockage :laugh:

Does she have

vomiting?

Diarrhoea?

A hunched-up appearance?

A droopy tail?

Is she drinking less/more?

What sort of poo is there? watery? slimy? smelly?gassy?

Not trying to diagnose- just "an upset tummy" is not much info :rofl:

I have answered each question below. i know its not much info but if she was a human i would think she had a tummy bug, which is what the vet said.

i will take her back on Monday as she is lethargic and not her usual self.

thank you for your questions

Take her back to the vet. Sorry - but feeling a dog's belly alone will not find a blockage :laugh: hmm thats what i thought when the vet said this

Does she have

vomiting? No

Diarrhoea? No

A hunched-up appearance? No

A droopy tail? No tail so cant say :rofl:

Is she drinking less/more? more

What sort of poo is there? watery? slimy? smelly?gassy? same as normal

Not trying to diagnose- just "an upset tummy" is not much info ;)

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

my dog Jaxx is a 2 year old Boston Terrier who has an upset tummy. she has had this for almost a week.

i took her to the vet on wednesday as i thought maybe she had eaten something and had a blockage but the vet felt her tummy and said it felt fine.

so this weekend i started her on yakult and yogurt as the vet was shut and i will get dog probiotics on monday.

i have reduced her food to make sure she doesnt over load her tummy but she looks so miserable i dont know what else to do.

i have her in bed at the moment with the electric blanket on because she seems to feel better when warm.

ETS she burps and has a little throw up with only a teaspoon of liquid is thrown up

Half of these vets are not worth two bob..........try this and see how she goes damn well annoys me :laugh: They need to give you options............we can do an xray, we can do a stool culture etc etc. Half the time you have to research the symptoms yourself and tell the vet what you want done which shouldn't happen.

I would take her back Jaxx'sBuddy and tell the vet to do their job properly. The level of attention you have been given IMO is sub-standard.

Half of these vets are not worth two bob..........try this and see how she goes damn well annoys me :laugh: They need to give you options............we can do an xray, we can do a stool culture etc etc. Half the time you have to research the symptoms yourself and tell the vet what you want done which shouldn't happen.

I would take her back Jaxx'sBuddy and tell the vet to do their job properly. The level of attention you have been given IMO is sub-standard.

yep she will be going back to the vet on Monday.

Well I would DEFINITELY be back at the vet's tomorrow morning and asking them for a better check> What was her temperature ? Gum colour? Did they even do any thing but feel her tummy?

:laugh: poor little girl - there seems to be something not right . Hopefully THIS time they will do some sort of procedure to check her stomach etc.

My Pup has had repeated stomach upsets and has semi soft to completely runny poops and eats grass when he has been bad. We've been back and forth to the vet and our vet is fantastic - hasn't charged us consult fees, given us free tins of Canine I/D, text messaged us a few days after appointments to check up on him etc.

We have had fecal exams, tests, giardia, coccidia etc etc tests and now we're on a trial food wise. We had to come off Hills Science and we're on Royal Canine Intestinal, if that didn't work the vet said we could go hypoallergenic or high fibre - we have deducted that Porthos is sensitive to foods and if given the wrong treats (liver, chicken etc) he will get a dodgy stomach.

Our vet has put him on probiotics for his water and he's had a course of scourban (which was great....). Touch wood - RC Intestinal seems to be working.

Don't be frightened to be a regular at your vets if your dogs stomach is still bad.

Hope he feels better soon!

Oh...and boiled chicken and rice just made ours worse - i think he is sensitive to chicken.

Susan

Well I would DEFINITELY be back at the vet's tomorrow morning and asking them for a better check> What was her temperature ? Gum colour? Did they even do any thing but feel her tummy?

:laugh: poor little girl - there seems to be something not right . Hopefully THIS time they will do some sort of procedure to check her stomach etc.

he did check her temp which was fine and her gums which were also fine.

he checked her easrs as well, also fine.

thats what is so odd, all looks ok but i know there is something wrong.

for sure first thing tomorrow she will be back at the vet.

My Pup has had repeated stomach upsets and has semi soft to completely runny poops and eats grass when he has been bad. We've been back and forth to the vet and our vet is fantastic - hasn't charged us consult fees, given us free tins of Canine I/D, text messaged us a few days after appointments to check up on him etc.

We have had fecal exams, tests, giardia, coccidia etc etc tests and now we're on a trial food wise. We had to come off Hills Science and we're on Royal Canine Intestinal, if that didn't work the vet said we could go hypoallergenic or high fibre - we have deducted that Porthos is sensitive to foods and if given the wrong treats (liver, chicken etc) he will get a dodgy stomach.

Our vet has put him on probiotics for his water and he's had a course of scourban (which was great....). Touch wood - RC Intestinal seems to be working.

Don't be frightened to be a regular at your vets if your dogs stomach is still bad.

Hope he feels better soon!

Oh...and boiled chicken and rice just made ours worse - i think he is sensitive to chicken.

Susan

my vet is really good and we had a 45 minute consult so she was checked thoroughy. i just think because there is nothing "wrong" it is hard to diagnose.

i might take a stool sample with me tomorrow just in case.

i thought about giving her chicken and rice but decided not to just in case it upset her.

i will be back to the vet as often as i need too until she is better

my vet is really good and we had a 45 minute consult so she was checked thoroughy. i just think because there is nothing "wrong" it is hard to diagnose.

i might take a stool sample with me tomorrow just in case.

i thought about giving her chicken and rice but decided not to just in case it upset her.

i will be back to the vet as often as i need too until she is better

Yeah I know how that goes....there is nothing "wrong" with ours either - he hasn't got an infection, worms, giardia, or any of those nasties. He is just "sensitive" to food and it's hard as when we take him to dog training once a week, we have to treat him with something besides his regular kibble.

Hope yours feels better soon :laugh:

What do you mean by upset tummy, is it hard, extended or do you hear gargling noises? Anything else?

Is she eating and drinking normal, is she alert or lethargic?

Did you get a stool sample to your vet to check for worms or other bugs?

It is getting cold, can it be that Jaxx was exposed to cold temperatures? You mention she seems to be better when warm?

If she is lethargic, not eating/drinking, then please get her to the vet asap!

If she was my dog and if she was alert, eating/drinking and seems to be ok otherwise, I would try a few things:

• fast for 1 day
  • Probiotics (I use the human grade ones, which are kept in the fridge, save your money on the ones they keep in the shelf, those cultures are already dead)
  • digestive enzymes (same as for Probiotics)
  • Slippery Elm Bark
  • cooked organic chicken cut into small pieces or minced
  • Australian Bush Flower Essences
  • Acupressure
  • gentle leash walks to get things moving
  • filtered drinking water

All the best for Jaxx!

Dagmar

dagmar- Jaxx'sBuddy is taking the dog to the vet this morning- this has been going on for a week - and there is more detail on symptoms in post 5 :(

Jaxx;s buddy- hope everything went ok this morning!

vet couldnt see her this morning, have appt for tomorrow.

My 2 year old also had an upset tummy that went on for 4 weeks. He had his good days but towards the end we put him on antibiotics for 10 days. Went to the vets several times. I think mine was stress related as he had gone through several medical proceedures over a short time beforehand.

As Dagma suggested, he's on the probiotics now (daily) and is much better. I use the human grade one kept in the fridge.

Hope your dog gets better soon.

well yesterday afternoon she started looking better and this morning she is as bright as a button and harrassed me for her breakfats.

she seems much better as she has brought me her ball to play with her.

the appointment is for later today so if she keeps this up i will cancel it.

thank you all for your help

well yesterday afternoon she started looking better and this morning she is as bright as a button and harrassed me for her breakfats.

she seems much better as she has brought me her ball to play with her.

the appointment is for later today so if she keeps this up i will cancel it.

thank you all for your help

That is so good to hear!

Dagmar

That sounds, good, jaxx's buddy! keep her on the yoghurt/probiotics .. and hopefully she will be even brighter tomorrow!

yep will keep her on the probiotics for the next week. she always gets yoghurt on her food, she really likes it.

fingers crossed this goes away. this was the first time she has ever been ill

Keep her on the probiotics permanently if you can. I put Kei on probiotics when he had a tummy upset back in January and the difference in him has been remarkable - no more goopy eyes, nose is always nice and moist where it used to be dry and cracked a lot energy levels are up, skin and coat is in better condition... :thumbsup:

We use Inner Health Plus Dairy Free powder (I prefer the powder over the capsules as it's easier to sprinkle on top of his food each night).