Advice Please...puppy Apparently Dead After Illness

Rubric

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but he paid for a registered pup so shouldn't he be entitled to the papers to prove he got what he paid for? Not at all suggesting that he didn't.

If it had been reported to me that a pup was dead before I sent the papers I would be sending them back to VCA.

OK - maybe the vet can't give you the information you seek because he hasn't sighted the dead puppy. If it died at the new owner's place, then he may have disposed of it himself - and no-one will ever really know 100% whether he is telling the truth about it dying. The vet has been plenty forthcoming with the info regarding his treatment of the puppy in question, and the fact that it was released back into the care of the owner after x number of days on a drip... so IMHO (based on the info posted here only), we only have the new owner's word that this pup has passed away.

As for the papers and his asking for them or reimbursement for them if he can't have them - do you charge different prices for pups without papers or on limited register? If so, reimburse him for the difference and be done with it... he shouldn't need physical copies of them (even photocopies) once the pup is deceased - and they have to be sent back to Dogs Vic anyways under their rules for notification of a deceased registered dog.

How much did he pay for the pup in question? He's obviously looking for some sort of financial compensation, so your best way to end this is to just give him a full refund and avoid all of the current hassles - as well as any future hassles if he decides to come back for a second bite at the apple...

T.

@tdierikx I sell all of my puppies with papers and main register puppies do cost more than limited. This was a limited register puppy.

I am not fussed at all to give him the refund for the papers, but like I have already said I do not think he realises it is only $30. This is my first time dealing with such a person, and I just wanted some advice.

I thank you all for your assistance in this matter. As a last word, I will be asking to see the death certificate, if it cannot be provided, then neither will the papers or any money.

ETA: I will not be giving a full refund of the price of the puppy unless there is proof that it is dead and that the death was caused by something on my part....That is called stand over tactics, and I will not give in to that.

I don't see why I should have my integrity questioned when this person has NO proof of any wrong doing by me. He is probably kicking himself because he was too tight to pay for the culture growth and now if the puppy has died, it would have died over the sake of $50. :laugh:

Edited by Rubric

Does this guy seem like the type that might be liable to enact some sort of "payback" on you or your dogs if he doesn't get what he thinks he's entitled to?

It might just be safer for you and your dogs to give him his money back for the dog and then send it's papers back to Dogs Vic as deceased.

If the pup was limited register, then nothing sired by it can be registered with Dogs Vic, correct? Shouldn't matter too much to give the guy a photocopy of the papers then - and send the originals back to Dogs Vic to inform them that the pup is now deceased - it's not like he's going to be able to transfer the papers into his name now the dog has passed, right? If that will satisfy the guy... I still see him coming back later and demanding some sort of financial compensation also...

Your choice is whether you take the loss and give him a full refund just to avoid any nastiness in the future - or whether you want his threats hanging over you for some time into the future...

I know which one I'd choose...

T.

Ok, the dog is local to you, simple thing to do is go around to the house (without telling them of your arrival) to hand over the $30 for the papers and a copy of the rules explaining why he can't have the papers, it will also give you a chance to see IF the dog is still alive and living at the house.

thats exactly the kind of person who shouldnt be buying a dog like that

wow

scary

if he is threatening you

what sort of dog owner is he going to be

scary mentality of some people

sorry for your mess...be careful and extricate yourself as quickly as you can

Edited by percyk

I may have missed it but how long after the pup went home did it get sick? From what Im reading there is no obligation on you to even consider refunding the purchase price.

Write to Vic dogs and tell them the situation and ask them what you are expected to do.Have that put in writing.

What you think he may or may not do with papers or why he may want them isnt counted. Just do as they advise and learn from the experience.

You chip the pup before it goes home and enter that number on the pedigree application.You insure the pup when it leaves with a 6 week free insurance policy.

He doesnt get to call the shots - you do and you have no choice but to follow directions the CC give you.If it doesnt fit in with what he wants direct him to them.

@ Steve the puppy got sick almost 5 weeks after he got it. I think I may have said earlier it was 6 weeks, I apologise.

Whichever it is, the incubation peroid for e coli is 3-8 days not 5-6 weeks

I appreciate your answer, I should have done things differently, and if there is a next time, I definately will

@ Steve the puppy got sick almost 5 weeks after he got it. I think I may have said earlier it was 6 weeks, I apologise.

Whichever it is, the incubation peroid for e coli is 3-8 days not 5-6 weeks

I appreciate your answer, I should have done things differently, and if there is a next time, I definately will

We all make mistakes and we all usually learn the hard way. Just do as the CC tell you and chalk it up to experience.

hi.

i am no breeder however there may be another way for you to settle this.

i believe that you should tell this person that the papers must go back therefor you are unable to send him an original copy however since he did purchase this puppy you could email him a copy (you now have his email). before you send him a copy thrue email and while you have it on the computer you should get it watermarked, i do believe it is supposed to be easy and i don't think anyone can accutaly remove the watermark.

I am really sorry you lost your puppy, as a breeder my self i can understand you are up set about losing your puppy, but form what i read it wasn't your fault.

i don't understand why he would want the papers now, i would not give them to him my self. you need to get the vets death certificate and send the papers to dogs vic as they would require them back.

I would also keep the threats he sent you and forward them on to the police, he sounds like a nutter.