Fresh Ground Flaxseeds

Pugmum

I've just gotten hold of a coffee grinder and now bought some organic flaxseeds - all systems go to supercharge Maggies morning cottage cheese and flaxseed oil mix.......but does anyone know roughly how much I should grind up for her ? (she's 10 kg)

thanks

Brigitte

I've just gotten hold of a coffee grinder and now bought some organic flaxseeds - all systems go to supercharge Maggies morning cottage cheese and flaxseed oil mix.......but does anyone know roughly how much I should grind up for her ? (she's 10 kg)

thanks

Brigitte

Brigitte,

My dogs weigh about 30 kg, and I am using 1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds for them. So your dog should be fine with 1/3 of that, I would say about 1 good teaspoon? Make sure to keep the flax seeds in the fridge to avoid getting rancid and also always grind them fresh.

Let us know how Maggie likes it!

Dagmar

Thanks !

I winged it this morning - the info I found yesterday said for 3 - 5 tablesppons cottage cheese use 1 - 2 tablespoons seeds. Now thout could not be more confusing could it ? :D

I use 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese so I thought half a tablespoon of seeds would be okay.

I put in a 10ml measure - its larger than it sounds. It was very yummy. Maggie licked her bowl clean across the room and Otis (our other pug) also seemed more than happy. I tried it and was sorry I'd not made more for me.

I've got the seeds stored in a plasticbag inside an airtight container which I'll pop in the fridge when I get home. Surprisingly they were in a big non-airightscoop it yourself container in the shop ?? They had a couple of sorts and I did get organic. how will I know if they go off ?

Brigitte

Thanks !

I winged it this morning - the info I found yesterday said for 3 - 5 tablesppons cottage cheese use 1 - 2 tablespoons seeds. Now thout could not be more confusing could it ? :D

I use 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese so I thought half a tablespoon of seeds would be okay.

I put in a 10ml measure - its larger than it sounds. It was very yummy. Maggie licked her bowl clean across the room and Otis (our other pug) also seemed more than happy. I tried it and was sorry I'd not made more for me.

I've got the seeds stored in a plasticbag inside an airtight container which I'll pop in the fridge when I get home. Surprisingly they were in a big non-airightscoop it yourself container in the shop ?? They had a couple of sorts and I did get organic. how will I know if they go off ?

Brigitte

Here is what I got from Prof Budwigs studies: http://animalconnection.com.au/index.php/t...udwig-diet.html

It is good, isn't it? I always prepare some for myself as well :heart:

I buy a 250 mg container and prepare the whole lot, the dogs get their share and I will have all the rest!

It is tricky with the seeds, you won't know when they are off, better buy from your local health food store, they should have them in the fridge.

With the oil it is easier, the taste will be bitter when rancid.

Let me know how you are going with the Budwig mix, I think you should see improvement in the fur within about 10 days (nice side effect)

Dagmar

FWIW My understanding is that the seeds can be stored for quite a while without going off and don't need to be regrigerated but should be kept out of the sun, kept airtight, etc. It's the oil in the seeds that goes rancid so its only when it's ground or made into oil that you need worry about it (ie once the oil is exposed to oxygen in the air). Once ground it's best to use it immediately but oil should be stored in the refrigerator.

Makes sense to me because they are just seeds, the same as sunflower, sesame, pumpkin etc - all of which can be stored without refrigeration.

My flaxseeds are stored in an airtight jar (large moccona coffee jar!) in the cupboard and have lasted months with no problem :laugh:

You can tell when oil or ground seed has gone rancid by the smell. Believe me, it'll be obvious. :dancingelephant: Maybe just experiment a little, leave some out in the cupboard and put some in the fridge and see what happens!

FWIW My understanding is that the seeds can be stored for quite a while without going off and don't need to be regrigerated but should be kept out of the sun, kept airtight, etc. It's the oil in the seeds that goes rancid so its only when it's ground or made into oil that you need worry about it (ie once the oil is exposed to oxygen in the air). Once ground it's best to use it immediately but oil should be stored in the refrigerator.

Makes sense to me because they are just seeds, the same as sunflower, sesame, pumpkin etc - all of which can be stored without refrigeration.

My flaxseeds are stored in an airtight jar (large moccona coffee jar!) in the cupboard and have lasted months with no problem :laugh:

You can tell when oil or ground seed has gone rancid by the smell. Believe me, it'll be obvious. :dancingelephant: Maybe just experiment a little, leave some out in the cupboard and put some in the fridge and see what happens!

Well, flax seeds should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place. Many people choose to store them in the fridge to be on the safe side. Especially here in Australia I believe it is a good idea.

Dagmar