Staffy Cross Missing After Airport Stuff Up

Freshstart16

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-au...u-1225868711216

A RESCUED pet on its way to a new loving home has gone missing after airline staff left a gate open at the Perth domestic terminal.

The two-year-old staffy cross, called Goldie, arrived in Perth at 8pm Monday from a rescue shelter in Sydney.

Traumatised by the flight, Goldie bolted into nearby bushland surrounding Boud St as soon as Australian Air Express staff opened her cage to hand her over to new owners Claire Pridmore and Troy Oldfield.

Since Monday, a devastated Ms Pridmore, who paid $570 to rescue and transport the dog, has spent from dusk till dawn searching for Goldie in bushland as far east as Kalamunda.

“The staff opened the cage and there are gates there that should have been shut, but they hadn’t shut them,” Ms Pridmore said.

“When they opened the cage, we went to put the lead on her but she was so scared she flew out and just ran off.”

Ms Pridmore rang the supervisor on duty at the time and was told it was her own fault for not shutting the gates.

“I’ve been out there every night and every morning,” Ms Pridmore said.

“I was sitting out there this morning at dawn in the bush with food all around me, hoping that she would come out,” Ms Pridmore said.

A dog matching Goldies’ description has been sighted in Kalamunda this afternoon.

Ms Pridmore has travelled to a park in the area in hope of finding her new beloved pet.

Ms Pridmore said Australian Air Express state manager Wayne Phillips has apologised for the incident and assured her policy had now been changed for pet imports.

Staff are also helping with the search.

Mr Phillips was not available for comment.

Goldie is micro chipped and wearing a red collar with a Sydney phone number on it. If you see Goldie please contact the Sydney number or RSPCA on 08 9209 9300.

Please keep your eyes open people, this is so sad. Please check out the website to see a pick of Goldie :thumbsup:

When my dog and cat arrived at AAE in Perth their crates were wheeled straight out through the gate (controlled by AAE staff) into the unsecured carpark area - I don't recall seeing any gates I would have been able to close myself?

I hope Goldie is found soon :thumbsup:

Do you have a facebook page for Goldie? Perth can be such a small community and the more people that are aware of her disappearance the better her chances of being found.

Really hope she is found safe and well very soon. The airport should be made accountable....this situation is total negligence on their part!

I dont think there is facebook page, I do not know the owner personally, I was just passing around the info in the hopes someone has seen the poor baby. I feel so sorry for the poor owners and dog. fingers crossed they find Goldie soon :laugh:

When my dog and cat arrived at AAE in Perth their crates were wheeled straight out through the gate (controlled by AAE staff) into the unsecured carpark area - I don't recall seeing any gates I would have been able to close myself?

I agree, 3 years ago definitely no gates, and we had 3 puppies all trying to get out at once

There's a lot of bushland in this area, no an easy place to find a dog that does not recognize your scent.

I really hope they find her.

Has the airport offered the use of the beagles (customs). If they can sniff out a bottle of lavender oil in my handbag surely they can sniff out a dog in the bush surrounds. Or simply having dog as a decoy to coach her out if she is hiding in the undergrowth. It's the least they could do!

• 3 weeks later...

OMG :( I was so hoping this story would have a happy ending :) I was thinking about Goldie yesterday, poor baby I hoping she didnt suffer too much :) RIP Run free beautiful :(

I Feel also for Goldies new parents. Didnt even get a chance to show her the love she deserved.

That's so sad. :( Poor poor dog, traumatised by a flight for a number of hours and then a slow death by the sounds of it. :(

There are a million staffy X dogs here in WA, why do people feel the need to fly them over from another state? It's not like they have met them and feel an instant bond with them. I just think it's unnecessary. :)