What Is The Best Of The Best Premium Dry Food?

I dont know which PREMIUM DRY DOG FOOD to start my 2 Adult Weimaraners on, their is too many choices out there :rofl: I would be interested in your advice plaease....

Also in your reply can you give me an approx costing to the dry kibble & how many kilos the bag comes in if you can.

*Currently they eat Pedigree dry biscuits from the Super Market with coated in fresh chicken mince.

*My male Weimaraner "Cash" has troubles doing number 2's he seems constirpated & does it about 2 - 3 times when I take hoim for a run down the beach, this has prompted me to change.

Edited by BustaGirl

What are they being fed now and why do you want to change the food?

There is no 'best ever' food that will suit all dogs, there is a certain amount of trial and error involved. First you need to decide what your dogs need from the food.

I dont know which PREMIUM DRY DOG FOOD to start my 2 Adult Weimaraners on, their is too many choices out there :rofl: I would be interested in your advice plaease....

Also in your reply can you give me an approx costing to the dry kibble & how many kilos the bag comes in if you can.

*Currently they eat Pedigree dry biscuits from the Super Market with coated in fresh chicken mince.

*My male Weimaraner "Cash" has troubles doing number 2's he seems constirpated & does it about 2 - 3 times when I take hoim for a run down the beach, this has prompted me to change.

Just a quick question - why do you want to feed your dogs dry food at all?

I have been feeding Eukanuba dry food with 1 and a half chicken drumstick. His coat became shinier and he has lesser poo now. He used to eat Coprice puppy food and he poo so much! He also like the taste of Eukanuba compared to Coprice.

Eukanuba comes in 3kg pack costing about >$30 and 12kg pack costing about >$110. This pet shop (don't sell live animals) that I have been going to, sells things cheaper. I am not sure about other size.

Hope that helps.

I have been feeding Eukanuba dry food with 1 and a half chicken drumstick. His coat became shinier and he has lesser poo now. He used to eat Coprice puppy food and he poo so much! He also like the taste of Eukanuba compared to Coprice.

Eukanuba comes in 3kg pack costing about >$30 and 12kg pack costing about >$110. This pet shop (don't sell live animals) that I have been going to, sells things cheaper. I am not sure about other size.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. My question was actually more, if you would consider feeding anything else than dry food?

I can't remember the costing but I would recommend Eagle Pack - especially the holistic select range but any of their range will do. Their production methods are safer than most and they were one of the few who didn't get caught up in the pet food recall a while back (due to chinese rice with melamine(??) in it).

They have a very good reputation and if I have to give my dogs dry for any reason (they generally get raw food where possible) its the only one I will happily get for them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. My question was actually more, if you would consider feeding anything else than dry food?

My puppy is still young and I am not sure how to make a perfect home-made BARF. When he is all grown and missing a bit of nutrition here and there does not matter that much, BARF will be my choice because I heard many good things about it.

Edited by nicolatu

My puppy is still young and I am not sure how to make a perfect home-made BARF. When he is all grown and missing a bit of nutrition here and there does not matter that much, BARF will be my choice because I heard many good things about it.

Ok, I understand. You could also use dry and wet food. Alternatively you could ask an experienced pet nutritionist for a balanced puppy home made diet.

We fed Nutro Natural Choice (the US brand) excusively for nearly 8 1/2 years until it was pulled from the market here. Since it has been made in Australia we continue to feed Nutro and have NO complaints.

We do, however, now feed Nutro on a 1/3rd 2/3rds basis with a homemade diet.

We have also fed Ziwipeak, but have found with 6 dogs it is a little expensive. :rofl:

PS We have weaned our litters on Nutro and will do so with our litter due in mid June.

Edited by Hesapandabear

Thanks Hesapandabear for your response, can I ask what your home made diet consist off?

Dagmar

to answer your question I guess that was what I thought would be the best way to give them everything they need in the way of nutrition. I would consider not feeding dry food however my lifestyle is very busy with long hours at work & would not have the time to create anything, what do your do that is not dry food? Does wet food control the amount of dog wast like dry food can do?

nicolatu Thanks for your reply & the costing info, Eukanuba sounds like it may be worth a try.

Thanks fo rthe feedback spottychick I have seen the name "Eagle Pack: pop up abit when I originally tried to find some info in the search engine.

Edited by BustaGirl

Dagmar

to answer your question I guess that was what I thought would be the best way to give them everything they need in the way of nutrition. I would consider not feeding dry food however my lifestyle is very busy with long hours at work & would not have the time to create anything, what do your do that is not dry food? Does wet food control the amount of dog wast like dry food can do?

It doesn't take me too long to prepare my dogs' food and I do not feed dry food at all. I buy meat (bulk) and veggies, cut the meat, pulp the veggies and freeze everything in portions. Every day I thaw something, add the supplements my dogs need and feed. Very simple, no preservatives, by-products, etc. and my dogs love it!

Dagmar

I would use Holistic Select ( made by Eagle Pack) if I had to do a dry food, when my dog wasnt on an allergy diet he got some Holistic Select and some mince with Vets All Natural complete mix.

my cats and dog are fed on nutrience, senior for the cats and original or holistic for the dog (original only if i can't find the holistic) becasue he has a sensitive tummy. works brilliantly for him.

about $90-100 for a 15kg bag of dog food...

I dont know which PREMIUM DRY DOG FOOD to start my 2 Adult Weimaraners on, their is too many choices out there :laugh: I would be interested in your advice plaease....

I am a little sceptical when it comes to anything that is commercially made and have been even more so after the US scare when 200 pet foods including premium foods were recalled after countless dog deaths; most were recalled due to food containing melamine and cyanuric acid which caused kidney failure in dogs. I like to see what goes into the food that I feed my dogs. To each their own I suppose. If I was to feed my dogs a dry food diet I may have opted to go for Innova or California Natural but IMO nothing beats RAW or BARF.

Guest belgian.blue

Proplan Salmon and Rice and Nutro Puppy

Very happy with both after trying about four different ones with my adult. Cost isn't too bad as I also feed raw and tin [natures gift]. My puppy is coming along rather nicely on Nutro.

Just for clarity purposes, no dry food imported in Australia was affected by the melamine horror. We still get customers coming in the with belief that all dry foods on the shelf are filled with poison, which kind of defeats the purpose of return business. :thumbsup: Research, get samples, listen to everyone but make your own decisions based on common sense and how well your doggies do.

Sags