Chicken Mince From Leonards Chicken

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

Does anyone buy this?

Sometimes it's hard to buy boney chicken mince from the raw food pet place [as it's popular] and I've seen signs up at Leonards Chicken [not sure if this is a Perth only chain of store?].

It's $1.50 kilo.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone buy this?

Sometimes it's hard to buy boney chicken mince from the raw food pet place [as it's popular] and I've seen signs up at Leonards Chicken [not sure if this is a Perth only chain of store?].

It's $1.50 kilo.

$1.35 a kilo here in Toowoomba from Leonards.

It is very popular to buy.

Its just the same as chicken mince from any other butcher, Id get it, I dont have a leonards in my suburb, I get it from my local guy, I tell him when Im running low and he tells me when its going to be fresh, otherwise they freeze it in 1kg lots

Guest belgian.blue

Ah awesome, I will go buy some from them. Atleast I can buy it fresh and freeze myself in small sections.

We have a few Leonards around here so if one doeesn't have any, the others may :)

You can even buy chicken frames from Lenards at $11.50 per box which is what i do and my kids love them , you have big dogs so they would have 2 each in a meal...i have a standing order for mine each week....... ask them if you can order yours each week they prefer that :)

Guest belgian.blue
You can even buy chicken frames from Lenards at $11.50 per box which is what i do and my kids love them , you have big dogs so they would have 2 each in a meal...i have a standing order for mine each week....... ask them if you can order yours each week they prefer that :)

Oh really? How many in a box approx?

My Pointer puppy is a food gulper, but a whole frame would be OK for him?

You can even buy chicken frames from Lenards at $11.50 per box which is what i do and my kids love them , you have big dogs so they would have 2 each in a meal...i have a standing order for mine each week....... ask them if you can order yours each week they prefer that :thumbsup:

Frames are perfect for my gulper GR, they have to chew it lol

Guest belgian.blue
You can even buy chicken frames from Lenards at $11.50 per box which is what i do and my kids love them , you have big dogs so they would have 2 each in a meal...i have a standing order for mine each week....... ask them if you can order yours each week they prefer that :thumbsup:

He chews it until he can swallow and he swollows some large stuff! Though I gave him a lamb shank today to chew the meat off and he loved it. Didn't try once to down the bone. But the bone was removed from him when the flesh was stripped off.

I was amazed that he swallowed a nearly whole chicken wing!

He chews it until he can swallow and he swollows some large stuff! Though I gave him a lamb shank today to chew the meat off and he loved it. Didn't try once to down the bone. But the bone was removed from him when the flesh was stripped off.

Lexi ate chicken necks whole, Ive never been game enough to give her wings for that reason

Guest belgian.blue

Lexi ate chicken necks whole, Ive never been game enough to give her wings for that reason

Ah great to hear Lexi is fine with frames, makes me a lot more at ease with feeding them :thumbsup: Not used to having a gulper dog! Ivy chews her food like a good girl.

I used to buy it from Leonards but had a few problems.

The mince often smelled badly of the bleach that they clean the shop surfaces with.

Plus I used to find bits of other meat/spices. in it obviously the residue of what had been in the mincer prior to the chicken frames.

I found that when I stopped feeding it and started feeding the Dr. B's BARF my dogs rarely vomited.

When I was feeding Leonards pet mince they would vomit at least weekly.

Continuity of supply was also a problem.

I don't think chicken frames are very important at Leonards and I always wondered how they were handled and stored prior to mincing.j

I guess I am just fussy!!! :thumbsup:

We buy ours from LENARDS :thumbsup: on the Sunshine Coast at $1.50/kg, buy one get one free. We purchase 20kg at a time. They bag it in 2kg lots which we then freeze.

Until a month ago it was $1.25.kg buy one get one free. :cheer:

That's retty good service for them to bag it all for you! :thumbsup:

I don't think chicken frames are very important at Leonards and I always wondered how they were handled and stored prior to mincing.j

I guess I am just fussy!!! :thumbsup:

I wonder this too but with ANY pet meat you buy.

I used to buy the mince but the dogs would just inhale it whereas it takes 5 to 10 minutes to properly chew through a whole chicken frame - and the chewing is so good for their teeth (rubbery chicken bones work like dental floss) so I stick with the whole frames these days.

I refuse to buy it anymore. I got so many off batches, from 3 different stores here in Cairns. When I could get fresh stuff, it was great but I refuse to take the chance anymore after wasting so much money.

Btw, whoever said it is human grade, it isn't. It has the minced bone in it as well which automatically makes it not human grade, not to mention the prep and storage requirements are a lot lower than human grade.

I bought a box last week, I'll go count them. $10 a box here (Mackay)

~ 24 frames, tossed in freezer asap.

I usually ring ahead, make sure some on hand. Never disappointed in freshness nor experienced contamination. Minced anything has more exposure to air, handling etc

The Lenards frames appear to be off younger birds compared with some I bought from a butcher.

yes, I've been buying it from there for a while - it used to be $1 per kilo and then the next week it as $1.50 per kilo - how is that for a price increase?

I understand that it is minced chicken frames. It is not always available when I go to purchase it, but I have a feeling it is bad management on the part of that particular store.

It is always very fresh, but I freeze mostly what I buy as I buy a weeks worth at a time.

Edited by nynka