Chicken Mince From Leonards Chicken

Guest english.ivy

yes, I've been buying it from there for a while - it used to be $1 per kilo and then the next week it as $1.50 per kilo - how is that for a price increase?

I understand that it is minced chicken frames. It is not always available when I go to purchase it, but I have a feeling it is bad management on the part of that particular store.

It is always very fresh, but I freeze mostly what I buy as I buy a weeks worth at a teim.

Most lenards stores are franchises so it is up to the butcher how much he sells the prodcuts for

Winstone Hills Lenards sells the leg and thigh bones for $1/kg

He bones out chickens i think 3 times a week

The fact that Lenards shops sell mince/bones etc is good because they get

money from the chicken supplier also if they give them the bones back

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to buy it anymore. I got so many off batches, from 3 different stores here in Cairns. When I could get fresh stuff, it was great but I refuse to take the chance anymore after wasting so much money.

Btw, whoever said it is human grade, it isn't. It has the minced bone in it as well which automatically makes it not human grade, not to mention the prep and storage requirements are a lot lower than human grade.

Sorry but I have to correct you tramissa, you are not correct in your statement.

The minced chicken frames are "human grade" as it is the carcasses from the whole animal that is graded fit for humans. Yes it contains bones and I wouldn't recommend humans to eat it but it is "human grade"! The bones you get from a butcher are human grade so there is no difference when it is chicken!

The prep and storage for meat and chicken is no different. They are not allowed to treat the carcasses any differently from all the other meat in store.

1 - because cross contamination means that they can't just leave frames sitting there without the same care & refrigeration.

2 - These are the same frames that people buy to make soup! It is just that they mince a batch when they get to many built up.

Lenards are one of the few chicken shops that actually buy whole chickens and strip it down to get all the breasts wings legs etc.

Sorry i havent replied, :thumbsup: it all depends on the size of the frames as to how many is in a box, mostly though its about 30, but you have to realise that its the front part of the carcass as in the ribs...as the bum part is used for the mince, i like the small frames as you get the whole frame they dont remove the bum part for mincing, this is easier for me as i have to cut the big frames down the middle for my lot as they are only little kids.....there is a heap of meat on these frames as well so dont go thinking you are only feeding bone, the soft bone of the chicken has a conditioning effect on the bowel as well and as a result the poo's cut down to a few little blobs (if you keep the dry food down to a minimum ) the frames are also great for the teeth and gums, my kids have never looked back since starting on these :thumbsup:

I used to buy it from Leonards but had a few problems.

The mince often smelled badly of the bleach that they clean the shop surfaces with.

Plus I used to find bits of other meat/spices. in it obviously the residue of what had been in the mincer prior to the chicken frames.

I found that when I stopped feeding it and started feeding the Dr. B's BARF my dogs rarely vomited.

When I was feeding Leonards pet mince they would vomit at least weekly.

Continuity of supply was also a problem.

I don't think chicken frames are very important at Leonards and I always wondered how they were handled and stored prior to mincing.j

I guess I am just fussy!!! :thumbsup:

that is exactly what i found and it went off very quickly. thats why i dont buy from there.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I bought chicken mince from lenards here in SA once and it was mixed through with very yuck looking bits of rice and the odd pea and corn kernel so I wasn't terribly impressed since all I wanted was the mince itself.

My local lenards hardly ever seems to have chicken frames or if they do they are really expensive (over $2 a kilo)... so now I buy my chicken frames from my local asian grocery who sells them for .70c a kilo and I can buy a box (10-12kg) for $7! :)

We have been purchasing the minced chicken frames from LENARDS for a year now and have not had a problem.

My boy Panda has a particularly sensitive tummy e.g. I can't feed him wings or whole frames as he doesn't digest the bone. He is a house dog and sleeps in my room at night, so from experience I don't feed him bones any more :)

He is fine with the minced frames. :o

A few years back I ONCE bought chicken mince for my old dog Harry...considering he would eat possum poop, rotten eggs (he found an old chook nest!) and anything else that may look like food I was surprised when he wouldn't touch the mince. I smelt it and it stunk of chlorine bleach, I was pretty disapointed as I had to chuck it all out.

here is a link on an old DOL forum....

http://www.dolforums.com.au/lofiversion/in...hp/t118128.html

I tend to buy Ingams turkey mince at the poultry section of Woollies now.

I pay $1 per kg for the minced chicken frames and $1 per bag of frames (minimum of 5 to a bag, sometimes more). I've never had a problem with freshness but with my pack I go through twenty frames just for a meal. I only use the minced frames for dogs that need to put on weight or for fussy eaters to tempt them to eat their kibble.

Guest belgian.blue
The Pet Chef in Midland was recommended to me, but I haven't tried him out yet. They have minced frames for $1.60/kg.

Pet Chef

Thanks, I forgot about these guys!

Hmm thinking about it, I remember when my ex would get LC mince for his SWF and the smell was eww. Maybe I'm going to give it a miss and just keep buying it from the pet food place in Midvale/Bassendean. It was also kinda mushy?

There is a butcher kinda near me that has free range [bakers Hill?] frames, three for $3 I think. Might go there today after work and see if I can order some once a fortnight or something.

I bought chicken mince from lenards here in SA once and it was mixed through with very yuck looking bits of rice and the odd pea and corn kernel so I wasn't terribly impressed since all I wanted was the mince itself.

My local lenards hardly ever seems to have chicken frames or if they do they are really expensive (over $2 a kilo)... so now I buy my chicken frames from my local asian grocery who sells them for .70c a kilo and I can buy a box (10-12kg) for $7! :)

Thats a good price, where in SA is your supplier?

Lenards are a franchise chain so it may be just the individual running that particular store.

I have used them for 6 years & had no problems at all. It smells fresh unlike the yukky pet mince stuff, my cats & dogs do well on it & there is never anything mixed in it. Maybe try another branch.

Ah awesome, I will go buy some from them. Atleast I can buy it fresh and freeze myself in small sections.

We have a few Leonards around here so if one doeesn't have any, the others may :rofl:

It is $1.00 per kilo here at Riverton Forum, BUT it has beef in it too - as Lenards are now selling some beef products. I used to use the chicken mince as they crush up the bones in it too, but Zedley being allergic to beef can no longer have it.

Have been buying our chick mince from Leonards for several years and have NEVER had an issue with freshness or supply. We have a standing order every fortnight of 30 kilos and only pay a dollar per kilo. My Pointers are doing extremely well on it.

We have used Lenards mince for years, it does need to be used quickly or frozen straight away as it has no preservatives.

As others have already said it is simply the leftover frames after they have processed the chickens for human consumption, much better quality than the scabby old boilers that are often minced whole for the pet trade.

I have had the odd bad batch, but you will get that with anything you buy, including expensive meat from the supermarket.

Our biggest problem is supply as the crabbers by all the frames for their pots :rofl:

Guest belgian.blue

I'm getting low so I shall get some this week, try out a few stores.

Bought 12 frames [free range chicken, human grade] for $6 :D Gave Badg two for dindins and he ate them really well!

Guest belgian.blue
Ah awesome, I will go buy some from them. Atleast I can buy it fresh and freeze myself in small sections.

We have a few Leonards around here so if one doeesn't have any, the others may :D

It is $1.00 per kilo here at Riverton Forum, BUT it has beef in it too - as Lenards are now selling some beef products. I used to use the chicken mince as they crush up the bones in it too, but Zedley being allergic to beef can no longer have it.

Is this all LC or just Riverton? I've not bought from LC in ages!

• 2 months later...

Lenards in Canning Vale have it for $1 a kg it has crushed bones which is great as my bitch has pups and is getting the extra calcium she needs,they also selling frames 10 for $5 havnt had a problem with any of their products and have been using them to feed the dogs now for 8 years

What I would like to start feeding the dogs is rabbits but saw at the butcher at market city that they want $23 each any one know somwhere in perth to buy cheap bunnies?