Should I Report This?

Adnil444

Hi, there is a lovely dog (I think boxer x staffy or lab) that lives not far from me. The owners live on a busy corner block with low fences. When this dog was a puppy, she would be in the yard but could not get over the fence. She would be patted and talked to by everyone that walked past (very busy corner with a pedestrian crossing outside their place). However as she got older, she could get out, so the owners now keep her on the second floor verandah which overlooks the busy street.

It doesn't matter what time of day I go past this house (sometimes 3-4 times a day at different times), she is always there - I have never seen her taken for a walk, or anyone outside on the verandah with her. Her existence must be pitiful just living on a verandah and watching the world go by. She is always sitting at the sliding doors, looking desperate for someone to let her in (which they don't) or someone to pay attention to her. She is an outside dog only.

I feel so sorry for her as this is not a life for a dog. Also with it getting so cold now, she doesn't have a kennel, but only a blanket on the verandah which personally I don't feel is adequate in this cold weather.

She is fed, and looks healthy, but I feel for her. Should I report this or possibly approach the owners, but I'm worried that if I do they may get angry with me or abuse me for not minding my own business. But I feel that that's the least of my concerns as I'm very worried about this poor girl. She has been on that verandah for about 9-11 months now.

What should I do?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know she never goes inside?

You walk past a few times a day... who says she doesn't sleep inside at night?

Just because you don't see her being walked or going inside doesn't mean that she is being neglected.

What would you report her owners for?? Keeping her on a verandah during the day?? They are being responsible owners.. they know she can get over the fence so they have her somewhere she is safe and secure...

My advice is to leave her and her owners alone.

but I'm worried that if I do they may get angry with me or abuse me for not minding my own business.

And they'd have every right to be angry and tell you to mind your own business...

Edited by Cordelia

How do you know she never goes inside?

You walk past a few times a day... who says she doesn't sleep inside at night?

Just because you don't see her being walked or going inside doesn't mean that she is being neglected.

What would you report her owners for?? Keeping her on a verandah during the day?? They are being responsible owners.. they know she can get over the fence so they have her somewhere she is safe and secure...

My advice is to leave her and her owners alone.

but I'm worried that if I do they may get angry with me or abuse me for not minding my own business.

And they'd have every right to be angry and tell you to mind your own business...

She is also on the verandah every night - coming home at 3am last Saturday, there she was!!!

I have a dog that sleeps outside, her choice, she is too nervy inside

I also walk my dogs seperately at strange hours

Like last night one got walked at midnight

Not everything is always as it seems

The dog is healthy looking

Leave things alone

Unless you see the dog 24 hours a day, you don't know what they do with the dog. Keeping a dog outside is not an offence either. I have inside dogs but i understand that it is not everyone's choice.

My neighbours virtually never see my dogs out and about- and i have 5- as we walk them at very odd hours and take them with us at different times. 2 of them have to be locked up when we're not at home (allergies in one- can't spend long periods of time on the lawn and joint issues in the other- too much time outside and he is cripple) so they have a bedroom at the front of the house they stay in. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone saw them in there a few times and assumed the dogs were neglected.

Unless you see the dog 24 hours a day, you don't know what they do with the dog. Keeping a dog outside is not an offence either. I have inside dogs but i understand that it is not everyone's choice.

My neighbours virtually never see my dogs out and about- and i have 5- as we walk them at very odd hours and take them with us at different times. 2 of them have to be locked up when we're not at home (allergies in one- can't spend long periods of time on the lawn and joint issues in the other- too much time outside and he is cripple) so they have a bedroom at the front of the house they stay in. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone saw them in there a few times and assumed the dogs were neglected.

OK I take everyone's point here, I don't actually agree but can see where you are coming from. I just think in the approx 11 months she has been on the verandah and the amount of times I go past this house (at different times) that at least once, I would have seen her off that verandah.

I won't report it but just hope I'm doing the right thing.

It is nice to care and nice to look and observe your neighbourhood

But the dog is feed and is kept safe on the verandah

Whilst that is not the life I like for a dog, it is how some people treat them

• 3 weeks later...

I took everyone's advice and didn't report this - until the terrible weather hit Sydney and there was this poor dog being pelted by the rain and the wind, her blanket also getting wet and she was sitting looking at her owners/family on the other side of the sliding glass doors - she was drenched. I watched this and I couldn't understand how they can sit inside and watch her this way.

I reported this. I've now had confirmation that this poor girl has not been taken off the verandah once, in about 11 months, she doesn't have adequate shelter and she isn't being exercised at all. Yes they feed her, but that is it.

My gut feeling all along was right and now at least the owners will have to do something. I don't care if they keep her outside, but ensure she has a kennel or something where she can escape the elements, warm bedding, and take her for walks. The owners have been told what they need to do and there will be follow-up visits to ensure that they are doing the right thing by this dog.

In future, I think I will go with my instincts, even if I am wrong. If someone thought I was doing something wrong for my dogs, I would hope that someone would report me.

I'm imagining you would report it to the RSPCA yes?

Who state something along the lines of dogs requiring:

Shelter...

Water...

An Area they can stand in...

...Sadly; THe owners have done everything right by the dog according to them,

and this dog is not roaming the streets or able to bite anyone.

I think you should take note of actual cruelty; people leaving dogs in hot cars etc..

Not people who contain their dog safely and keep it well fed.

I took everyone's advice and didn't report this - until the terrible weather hit Sydney and there was this poor dog being pelted by the rain and the wind, her blanket also getting wet and she was sitting looking at her owners/family on the other side of the sliding glass doors - she was drenched. I watched this and I couldn't understand how they can sit inside and watch her this way.

I reported this. I've now had confirmation that this poor girl has not been taken off the verandah once, in about 11 months, she doesn't have adequate shelter and she isn't being exercised at all. Yes they feed her, but that is it.

My gut feeling all along was right and now at least the owners will have to do something. I don't care if they keep her outside, but ensure she has a kennel or something where she can escape the elements, warm bedding, and take her for walks. The owners have been told what they need to do and there will be follow-up visits to ensure that they are doing the right thing by this dog.

In future, I think I will go with my instincts, even if I am wrong. If someone thought I was doing something wrong for my dogs, I would hope that someone would report me.

How did you get confirmation of this? I can not imagine anyone in their right mind admitting that the dog is left on a verandah and never exercised at all. Human instinct is to protect yourself from threats and in this case lying about exercising/housing of the dog would be a natural response I would think.

Jesus , Mary and Joseph sometime the comments on DOL floor me. :laugh::) ;)

People are flamed for doing this that and not doing the other.

A person sees something that is obviously not desirable and she/he is jumped on.

:):thanks: :thanks: :D :) Good on you for caring about the dog.

A person sees something that is obviously not desirable and she/he is jumped on.

x2

X3

Good on you for reporting....And for those that wonder RSPCA does assign case numbers and does give some feedback if you care to ring and check up on a report that you have made..only know this as I reported a petshop and it became an ongoing investigation.

Hopefully now thanks to you that poor dog will now have adequate shelter from this terrible weather.

Good on you. It has clearly been upsetting for you and hopefully now this can have a happy outcome.

Sometimes people just need a push in the right direction.

Thanks everyone, I know I did the right thing and yes it was worrying me. I was impressed with the service the RSPCA gave - when I made the complaint I said that I could be wrong (about not coming off the verandah, but I was right about the dog being kept in all weather conditions without proper shelter), the RSPCA advised that they take every complaint seriously and they check all cases out. Alot of times, the complaints are unjustified, but in this case, I know the dog will be kept with proper shelter now and hopefully they will walk her (I can't imagine the poor dog kept on a verandah 24/7).

I'm imagining you would report it to the RSPCA yes?

Who state something along the lines of dogs requiring:

Shelter...

Water...

An Area they can stand in...

...Sadly; THe owners have done everything right by the dog according to them,

and this dog is not roaming the streets or able to bite anyone.

I think you should take note of actual cruelty; people leaving dogs in hot cars etc..

Not people who contain their dog safely and keep it well fed.

Perhaps they just needed some education and in my opinion, it is a form of cruelty, mental not physical.

How on earth do you know that this dog was sitting looking at her owners on the other side of the glass doors in this terrible weather????

No disrespect meant here so I will ask the question first...