How To Get Rid Of A Mouse Problem With Out Affecting The Dogs

BustaGirl

I have mice in the kitchen & heard some in my bedroom last night. I own two adult Weimaraners that are house dogs, they often catch them. I have used mouse traps when possible like behind the oven or fridge but they are still here, I have blocked possible entry points where they can come in but they are still here (unless they are coming through the dog door). My home is very large so hard to treat, can anyone offer advice to solve this problem with out bait stations that would hurt my dogs? If I did not have the dogs inside I guess I would set up heaps of traps but the they are indoors dogs & don't want them poking their paws at them & setting them off...ouch!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your dogs like with a cat? Best, fastest mouse catcher ever, is the right kind of puss.

We had a mouse in the downstairs storeroom. Popped our puss, Sarah, inside & closed the door. Took her not half a minute. She found it.

Rest of the time, Sarah is the most unlikely hunter. Small, sweet, inside cat with Catmax in the garden, loves playing with dogs.

But one whiff of a mouse....& she transformed.

yeah, but not all cats are mousers, I have 3 here,Bella has no interest, Sumo likes to play till he gets board, and Fanta is amazing, eats the whole thing as well - BUT, the other night, I was the one that caught the mouse that was in the house, Fanta is fired :laugh:

Edited by Teebs

Just set more traps! :laugh:

Those grey plastic ones will NOT hurt your dogs .

Set them under cupboards/behing fridge/bookshelves etc.... also outside in sheds/garage etc..

When we have a few mice I can often set 10 traps a night....

blocking entry points is great- but realise a mouse can squeeze thru gaps you may push a pencil thru!

Confine your dogs to crates or one bedroom overnight and put out heaps of traps, pick them all up in the morning before letting the dogs out.

On the traps try peanut butter, or cheese, but melt the cheese on to the trap so that it's well stuck on there.

Yes its the same - mice don't like to be in open spaces and will only run across rooms if frightened. Set traps near the walls and near anywhere you see their poo.

Also, I believe there is an electric shock mouse trap available - zaps them when they go on it. Not nice but at least it's quick and won't harm other animals (well most anyway!!). Wonder if it can detect spiders :laugh: I was considering getting one at my old house when I was having a mouse plague and I'd get one here if I see any of the rats the neighbours are talking about!!

Years ago there was a business in Australia that had a team of JRT's that went to places like chook farms to clear out rat problems. Saw it on t.v. Should of seen the holes they dug to get to the rat burrows :laugh: funniest thing I ever saw was these 8 little dogs decimating the rat population.

Anyway see if you can borrow a JRT out just set more traps.

We had mice in the garage. I just put the normal mouse traps in places the dogs can't get them (like the cupboards, behind the couch ... or even use baby gates to section of an area of the house) and bait them with sunflower seeds that I have tied on a with a piece of fishing line.

I had 6 traps set in the garage and were getting at least a mice a night ... and that was the end of the mice problem.

We had a bad mice plague years ago, traps were to no avail. We ended up throwing bait (ones that look like meat cubes) in the roof cavity and under the house (the dogs and cat can't get into either area), never seen a mouse since.

I use the grey no touch ones if I have to. My Luci fancies herself as a mouser- she has caught a few. I must admit though Luci now uses the traps to her own benefit- her joy is to get up in the morning race out and check if any of the traps have worked. She is delighted and runs back to get me if theres a body there! Is she a prissy poodle (too posh to chase?) or is she smart enough to condone the use of mousing aids?????

Never had a problem with these traps around dogs....stay clear though with puppies.

what if the dog was to eat a mouse that had died from bait poisoning?? would this harm in the same way?

YES I can vouch after being at the vets last week with my dogs all five had the emetic and the three who fiddled with the dead rat got Vit K

That will be $800 thank you very much!

Even if you have mice YOU can bet anything they visit the neighbours and they may have baits out, so a dead mouse wherever it dies may be picked up by a dog. The Warfarin they use to kill them is very slow and painful and kills them after 12 hours( the process starts then) so it can take a few days for the mouse, dog whatever to die.

BE careful havin just gone through this experience it is not a nice one.

Any of the poisons I will not use because:

1. It's a horrible slow and cruel way to kill anything.

2. My pets (or neighbours pets) could find it and eat it

3. My pets (or neighbours pets) could find the dead mice/rats and eat them (and the poison in them)

4. NATIVE wildlife could do either of 2 and 3.

5. The rats/mice tend to die noisily and in inconvenient places (like in the wall cavity) and stink the place up

There's just no good reason to use it.

I had one experience of one of my dogs eating a packet of mouse bait (ratsack) when I was house-sitting someones home. She had consumed nearly the whole packet before I noticed. Pepper was still a pup at the time and I was devastated. I repeatedly stuck my fingers down her throat and poured copious amounts of salt down her neck. I sat on the floor with her and made vomit noises trying to encourage her to throw up (stupid I know but I was desperate) and I cried a lot because she was patiently letting me half choke her and fill her with salt but still not vomiting. In the end I ran down the lane with her back to my house to call a vet and she charged off happily ahead of me - and chucked her guts up all the way down the lane! LOL :happydance2: This horrible green vomit was strewn all the way down the lane and then at the end of the trail it was just ordinary ex-food vomit. :dancingelephant: I rang the vet and he said because she'd just eaten before she ate the bait and had thrown it all up she should be okay. ANd she was. But it was much too close for comfort and I am very VERY diligent about bait now. (I didn't go back to the house as I didn't know where else they had ratsack - I found it everywhere - twits!) Later I checked the lane way and the vomit had killed all the grass where it fell LMAO Probably all the salt. Poor little Pepper!

ANYway, I'd stick with traps, zappers, cats or JRTs etc