Leaving Puppy (and Then Dog) Alone In Yard When At Work

koalathebear

the thing I noticed with US dog communities is they seem to have the idea that everything needs to be babied and that an animal is incapable of taking care of itself.

Keep in mind that in some US communities, their yards are metres deep in snow and winter temperatures are truely freezing.

We don't lose dogs to bears and coyotes here either. Just because some Americans seem to be paranoid about dog safety doesn't mean they don't have good cause to be! :p

Edited by poodlefan

the thing I noticed with US dog communities is they seem to have the idea that everything needs to be babied and that an animal is incapable of taking care of itself.

Keep in mind that in some US communities, their yards are metres deep in snow and winter temperatures are truely freezing.

We don't lose dogs to bears and coyotes here either. Just because some Americans seem to be paranoid about dog safety doesn't mean they don't have good cause to be! :)

Aren't there also areas in the US where houses dont have fencing ( a friend from - I think this is right - upstate new york?) said there was no fencing there. So in this situation, I can understand why they would not think it safe to leave dogs unattended outside.

I have left my dog outside by herself since she was 14 weeks. She had access to the house via dog door but she refuses to use it so has been left out to her own devices which includes sleeping, sleeping and more sleeping. I walk her before I leave for work and when she was younger would give her breakfast before I left and my husband was home early afternoon and use to feed her again.

She has never barked out of boredom, she's not much of a barker in general but we leave her with toys to entertain her although I don't think she really does that much while we are gone! You do have to remember that whilst you love your dog very much it is a dog not a child.

We don't lose dogs to bears and coyotes here either. Just because some Americans seem to be paranoid about dog safety doesn't mean they don't have good cause to be! :)

Aren't there also areas in the US where houses dont have fencing ( a friend from - I think this is right - upstate new york?) said there was no fencing there. So in this situation, I can understand why they would not think it safe to leave dogs unattended outside.

There are also States where it is illegal to leave a dog chained outside (and rightly so IMO).

I can understand the reluctance to leave a dog alone in the yard if it's that cold or if there is no fence or if it's a dog-unfriendly city ... but I wasn't very impressed with the assumption that all parts of the world were like where they were from. Fortunately there WERE a few Americans on the forum who agreed that the choice to leave puppy/dog in the yard should depend on individual circumstances rather than making generalisations.

They'd honestly prefer you to crate a growing puppy for 8 hours?

That or not go to work unless you have a job that lets you come home at lunch time to let it out. I believe it's quite common in the US for even really large dogs to get crated for 8-10 hours a day ... I think a lot of the people who say that the dog should never be left in the yard either don't work or work from home.

My dogs have always spent their days outdoors, aside from when they were tiny puppies....but once they got to around 14 weeks, out they went. They have shelter, beds, toys, water etc. And we have just moved to a place with the most amazing yard.....3/4 acre of securely fenced gardens, lawns, paving, and a rough cut paddock which the dogs have access to all day. They would feel VERY deprived if they had to look at it out the window all day.

Guest Tess32
They'd honestly prefer you to crate a growing puppy for 8 hours?

That or not go to work unless you have a job that lets you come home at lunch time to let it out. I believe it's quite common in the US for even really large dogs to get crated for 8-10 hours a day ... I think a lot of the people who say that the dog should never be left in the yard either don't work or work from home.

Well, lets hope their husband doesn't die or lose his job and a big vet bill comes in.

The first big-ish dog I ever met that spent a lot of time inside was my Hubby's dog in the US. He was allowed outside unsupervised though, he has 10 acres of 'woodland' to run around in (the dog is still on the property, living with other family now). My experience with larger dogs was that they were 'outside dogs', well they always were when I was growing up, even though I used to sneak my German Shepherd into my room on a Saturday morning to watch cartoons with me when I was a kid!

I thought that it was because of the snow, it snows a good portion of the year there and you can't put a dog out in the snow and of course he gets used to being inside. But I certainly did notice that even though Copper had the run of the property as well as the house other people we knew there only ever had their dogs outside when they were being walked.

The new dog that we want will be the only mainly inside dog I've had since our little Schnauzer when I was a teenager, but he or she WILL be spending some time in the yard each day. My Malamute would spend some time inside each day but spent the vast portion of his day outside, romping around and playing - much more interesting smells, sights and sounds outside than in the loungeroom! I can't imagine a dog not being able to play in the backyard, or being crated for that long per day! While I think that, of course, you have to have due care and concern, and make the yard safe for them, there really is no need to 'molly coddle' a dog (particularly a full grown one!) and treat it like a human baby. No offence to anyone, but I wonder if these people ever let their kids ride bikes, or climb trees!

I think that, in the end, it's your dog and you know what is best :laugh:

all our dogs used to be outside but not this current tribe

all of them stay inside

we were spooked by our friend's experience when someone came in and took their elderly dog

the fear was that it was taken for dog fights...you know how those stories get around but because we have small dogs...there was no way i was going to keep them outside

after that incident

we live in a good suburb...safe supposedly with some neighbours at home most of the day but it wouldnt take much for someone to steal or let ours go for a wander

i dont want to chance it so feel much safer with them in the house

they have the run of the family room rumpus and kitchen area ...they use the sofas and the dog beds and some like to be close to the big windows for the sun and others prefer to be away from that kind of sun

either way ...i just feel better about going to work... i dont work a terribly long day so it is ok and we dont have problems with toileting..they hang on...

on occasion we might have the odd accident if someones had a stomach upset but theyre all on slate it is not an issue

if they were big dogs...i probably would have them outside but would lock the gates

provided your dog isnt a barker or an escape artist you should be ok

id wait til he was at least five months old though

• 1 month later...

I go back and read old threads sometimes to see if I can glean anything useful. I realise that every single question I've asked seems to have been asked a thousand times before. I feel sorry for "old-timer" DOLers who must get soooooooooo sick of reading "help my puppy is biting/jumping/barking/growling/not toilet trained/crazy/hyper/eating poo/chewing everything" cries for help :rolleyes:

For instance, I found this post which raised a lot of debate about the whole 'leaving puppy alone' thing. That being said, the puppy in question was 10 weeks old and Elbie's likely to be about six months old when he's truly left 'alone' for 8-9 hours. He's had a lot of practice runs so far and doesn't seem to be particularly destructive or bored, nor does he seem inclined to jump fences or run away.

I wish I could get him interested in his home alone ball but I suspect that what he will do while we're at work is:

1. sleep

2. look for scattered kibble in the grass

3. dig holes in 'his' section of the yard

4. gobble his kong

5. run around the yard

6. sleep

7. sleep some more ...

Edited by koalathebear

I think the reality is:

1) that most dog owners have to go to work... The length of time that dog owners work for may vary, but regardless, they leave the home for a period of time. By comparison, I am a bad doggy parent, as Genevieve had alone time from the second day she was home with us! I don't think it has harmed her in any major way. If anything it is good, because I can ignore her long enough to get things done and she is fine with it. When she has our attention, she is generally well behaved. When my husband is not away, he works from home. When he does conference calls, he often puts her in the laundry for the duration of the call, as she is when no one is home.

2) dogs like being outside. Even the predominantly indoor dogs like spending time outside. If I had a 'big' dog, they would be outside too. When I am home in the mornings before going to work, Genevieve spends more time outside by choice. I now leave the back door open when I am home so she can come in and out.

3) We do not spend every waking minute with our human babies. Why? Because they have to learn that they are their own person and not attached to their parents. Yes they are supervised, but it is possible to supervise from a distance. So, why would you pay more attention to your dog than to your child?

I wouldn't worry too much koalathebear, Elbie would have to be one of the most well trained, well behaved dogs I've known of. You are doing a fantastic job with him and I couldn't imagine you leaving him outside if it wasn't working or if he regressed in anyway. Trust your instincts and try not to take too much of it personally.

Thanks wizzle, you're a sweetie. Things are heaps better now - I guess I just wish I had discovered the thread I linked to a couple of months ago when I was feeling so down and being made to feel like such a bad Pet Parent :birthday:

One of the reasons I refugeed over to DOL was because the posters at the US forum were just so judgemental about people who leave their puppies alone for the day when they go to work and I felt it was unfair given that my partner and I are very careful in how we look after Elbie and don't do things without considering things first.

You're right that the majority of dog owners MUST have to go to work. We have to find the money for those endless dog beds, toys, assortment of treats, leashes, dog tags and gazillion other pet accessories somewhere ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your kind words. We know that we DO face some challenges with Elbie (as you know from other threads) but he made some huge progress today in the car (with the help of a calf hoof and a piece of kangaroo jerky) and since we had our visit with the behaviourist, he has been very respectful around doorways and just been generally much more respectful and well-behaved. We are very hopeful that we will be able to make car travel a stress-free time soon and after that our main challenge will be trying to teach Elbie how to be calm when meeting new people and encountering new environments. He is the most hyperactive bundle of energy you ever saw ... Nonetheless, we are very happy with our little puppy. Every day he learns something new and makes us laugh.

I'm glad to hear that Genevieve is so well-adjusted. It's always reassuring to hear the 'good' stories as well as the bad :(

Edited by koalathebear

You're a good doggy Mum!!!

I know what you mean about hearing the good stories as well as the bad! We were worried about leaving Genevieve at home to start with, but now I don't think about it too much. Although I did take her to work with me on Saturday.... :p

It's obvious you love your pup very much and are trying to do what's in his best interests! I never pay too much mind to what I read on international forums.. sometimes the advice is good but they really do seem to have a different set of 'rules' and circumstances abroad in regards to dogs.

So long as your yard is secure, the dog has somewhere to shelter and is relatively happy being out doors I dont see a problem with what you intend to do. I had a quick squiz at your youtube videos and I dont think Elbie is too young to be left alone at all. Sure, he's a puppy.. but it's not as though he's a tiny little thing who has no independence. I guess you know to possibly expect some destructive behaviour.. but most dogs go through that stage, I promise it doesn't last forever! :rofl:

Our elderly cattle dog mix is left outside for four hours at a time (I work 8 - 9 hour days but come home on lunchbreaks) and she has never had a problem. The only thing I do worry about is someone poisoning her with laced meat because we had someone threaten to do that once. After that happened, we underwent a bit of training to make her aversive to picking up food that wasn't in her bowl and she wont take food from strangers either. I cant guarantee 100% that she wouldn't eat something if it was thrown over the gate.. but I am fairly sure she wouldn't. I hope no one would ever do something so horrible to Elbie but if your yard is easily accessed from the street and a bit remote it's something worth considering.