Are Dogs More Intelligent Than People?

furballs

I look at my dogs, or any other animal, and have so much respect for their ability to NOT feel hate or need power. Humans like to think they are superior, I don't believe this.

Animals normally do things for a good reason, ie they are hungry or they are establishing pack position. Animals don't go around raping, bashing and murding for no apparent reason.

I don't have a lot of experience with all animals, but I can say that dogs listen, learn from mistakes, protect us, care about us, give their life for us, love us, keep us warm, keep our kids safe, and unfortunately forgive the terrible things that humans do to them.

How many human beings can honestly say they would do anything for someone or something else purely because they care about it, no matter the cost to them.

post-34378-1275130329_thumb.jpg

Edited by furballs

I don't know if dogs are more intelligent than people but I'm sure they are smarter. There is an honesty in dogs - good & bad- that is easier to understand than the convoluted society humans have created.

I like the absence of ambiguity in dog emotions. For example, you'll never get a passive-aggressive attitude. You get the feeling that a dog likes you for who you are. But the dog knows you're his meal ticket, and provide shelter, so its loyalty is a genetic and behavioral adaptation to improve its chances of survival. In other words, it gets something out of the deal.

I like the absence of ambiguity in dog emotions. For example, you'll never get a passive-aggressive attitude. You get the feeling that a dog likes you for who you are. But the dog knows you're his meal ticket, and provide shelter, so its loyalty is a genetic and behavioral adaptation to improve its chances of survival. In other words, it gets something out of the deal.

Ok, I don't agree that dogs only like people because they see them as a meal ticket. Perhaps when they're in a bad environment they would feel that way. Your comment about it getting something out of the deal is exactly my point, most humans have an alterior motive, animals don't.

Guest Tess32

Ok, I don't agree that dogs only like people because they see them as a meal ticket. Perhaps when they're in a bad environment they would feel that way. Your comment about it getting something out of the deal is exactly my point, most humans have an alterior motive, animals don't.

They don't, because they aren't *capable* of it. Humans can choose to be 'good' or 'bad' and so that is why our choices can be judged. Dogs are intelligent, but aren't capable of moral choices, and so it doesn't make sense to admire them for their complete inability to do so.

BTW I'm not saying that our dogs "only" like us because of food and shelter, but I think its the deal maker for the very successful symbiosis of our species. I'm sure they feel genuine affection too and enjoy the social aspect of play, pats and snuggles. All animals, including dogs and humans, engage in behaviours that give them some kind of perceived dividend. In the case of humans, this could be feeling power through hurting others or acquiring possessions... things of no significance to an animal. I agree with you that humans definitely win hands for duplicity, manipulation and deceit - but these are signs of intelligence in strict scientific terms.

I look at my dogs, or any other animal, and have so much respect for their ability to NOT feel hate or need power. Humans like to think they are superior, I don't believe this.

Animals normally do things for a good reason, ie they are hungry or they are establishing pack position. Animals don't go around raping, bashing and murding for no apparent reason.

I don't have a lot of experience with all animals, but I can say that dogs listen, learn from mistakes, protect us, care about us, give their life for us, love us, keep us warm, keep our kids safe, and unfortunately forgive the terrible things that humans do to them.

How many human beings can honestly say they would do anything for someone or something else purely because they care about it, no matter the cost to them.

what I think on reading this is sadness that you see no level of good in people to compare, I do and I've seen the worst of us to but my goodness the best of us outshines it in every way, every day....that and perhaps I've spent more time watching Animal Planet than you because rape, murder and assault are no strangers to the animal kingdom!

I love my dogs to death but I do not think they are smarter then humans. People don't realise that dogs have a "here and now" mindset. They don't have the ability to sit there and think about things in the past; It's hard to explain... Do you know what I mean?

They don't, because they aren't *capable* of it. Humans can choose to be 'good' or 'bad' and so that is why our choices can be judged. Dogs are intelligent, but aren't capable of moral choices, and so it doesn't make sense to admire them for their complete inability to do so.

Exactly. Animals are honest because they don't have the ability to be dishonest. All creativity is make believe. All science is questioning. Human beings have the ability to go beyond the simplicity of animal existence. What they do with that ability defines their ethical standing.

I am crazy about my dogs, but I wouldn't think they are more intelligent. They are perhaps more perceptive, since it is likely we have lost some of our instinctive abilities through disuse.

It all depends how you look at it.

I know a lot of humans are really really dumb. And, I have to say that my dogs are a lot smarter/intelligent then they are. I mean, I can tell my dog something once and they get it... whereas I try to teach people something else and it would take them about 100 times to get it. Then I have to ask myself.. who is smarter?

Humans have the same motivations as dogs. Shelter, Sustenance, Security and Status.

Both dogs and people have been known to kill to achieve this if they are desperate, but dogs are more likely to not be able to think of any alternatives.

Guest Tess32

I know a lot of humans are really really dumb. And, I have to say that my dogs are a lot smarter/intelligent then they are. I mean, I can tell my dog something once and they get it... whereas I try to teach people something else and it would take them about 100 times to get it. Then I have to ask myself.. who is smarter?

Try and teach a dog maths and we'll see :(

Try and teach a dog maths and we'll see :eek:

;)

Actually, Charlie knows how to count to 3. I'm slowly trying to teach him how to add.. :(

---------------

Dogs are simple creatures. Humans are complex creatures.

Human are mostly rules by emotions. Dogs aren't.

Edited by CW EW

Try and teach a dog maths and we'll see :p

Human are mostly rules by emotions. Dogs aren't.

No, dogs are ruled by instincts. Try and teach a 3 year old child and a dog the same set of skills and see who gets it faster.

But that would depend on what the skill was.

I'm with sas- who knows? We'll never know.

However, i do resent the thinking that humans are more intelligent in every way, superior, the only ones capable of emotion etc. I wonder what animals would say if we asked them.

But that would depend on what the skill was.

I'm with sas- who knows? We'll never know.

However, i do resent the thinking that humans are more intelligent in every way, superior, the only ones capable of emotion etc. I wonder what animals would say if we asked them.

I agree with this statement Cosmolo :p

I observe my dogs all the time, & some of the things they do & seem to understand makes me wonder if they are alot smarter than what we give them credit for.

I don't think we will ever really know what goes on inside a dogs brain, unless a super intelligent dog is able to somehow find a way to talk to us & let us know. :laugh: