Chronic Puller! Help!

Hey everyone, I am new here and have read a few of the topics and it seems like there is some pretty good advice thrown around so thought I would join (I don't actually own any purebred dogs but hopefully that won't go against me too much).

Anyway, back to my issue.

I have a big dog (not giant by any standards but he is maybe up to my hip and weighs about 40 or so kgs) who is an absolutely chronic lead puller.

I have tried heaps of different ways to get him to walk nicely, and nothing so far works. We have tried the following:

> Check chain corrections

> Food for heeling

> Stopping the minute he pulls and only resuming walking once he falls in beside

> Constantly changing directions so he always needs ot be mindful of where I am

And other stuff. He knows "heel" and will immediately go to the right positon but the second he is there he leaves and is straight out at the end of the lead again. It's really important to me to have him walk nicely as I am not a big person so having him pull is painful on top of being stressfuk. Not to mention that when he is on-lead if he sees another dog he goes nuts. He is such a big beautiful looking boy that I would love nothing better than to be able to have him walking nicely on the lead so everyone can see how beautiful he is but it has got to the point where the dog walks have dwindled right down into prettty much none because I can't handle him. My partner will sometimes take him out for a walk but then the nex time I take him he seems worse.

I am pretty much at my wits end, Id like to walk him, but it is not fun for either of us (all previious dogs have been beautiful walkers so not sure why he isnt getting the hint).

He has a powerful neck so anything round the neck doesnt seem to bother him, he is 5 of that helps and we tried a halti a while back and he somehow got it in his mouth one of the walks and chewed through it in about one second.

Any other tips on tools I can use to help us take a nice walk together (with or without the pocket monster)?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried a prong collar? They work by 'pinching' the skin around the dogs neck as opposed to a check chain that works by snapping against the muscles in a dogs neck (and can be pretty damaging in a dog with lots of muscle that simply can't feel a light correction). You only need a tiny correction with the prong and used properly they are very safe. A good trainer would be able to show you how to use one correctly :(

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=174316

front attach harness

there is "sensible" or a "easy walk" same people that make "gentle leader" nose band thing, or black dog make a front attach training harness.

The front attach point gives you rotational leverage on the dog, in a similar way to a wheel barrow pivot gives you more lift power. So when he pulls, he effectively will end up unbalanced or facing back towards you, either way, not rewarding for him.

I don't like the nose band type anti pull systems - they work but the dog's neck is still in danger.

Hey everyone, I am new here and have read a few of the topics and it seems like there is some pretty good advice thrown around so thought I would join (I don't actually own any purebred dogs but hopefully that won't go against me too much).

I have a big dog (not giant by any standards but he is maybe up to my hip and weighs about 40 or so kgs) who is an absolutely chronic lead puller.

I have tried heaps of different ways to get him to walk nicely, and nothing so far works. We have tried the following:

> Food for heeling

> Stopping the minute he pulls and only resuming walking once he falls in beside

And other stuff. He knows "heel" and will immediately go to the right positon but the second he is there he leaves and is straight out at the end of the lead again. It's really important to me to have him walk nicely as I am not a big person so having him pull is painful on top of being stressfuk. Not to mention that when he is on-lead if he sees another dog he goes nuts. He is such a big beautiful looking boy that I would love nothing better than to be able to have him walking nicely on the lead so everyone can see how beautiful he is but it has got to the point where the dog walks have dwindled right down into prettty much none because I can't handle him. My partner will sometimes take him out for a walk but then the nex time I take him he seems worse.

I am pretty much at my wits end, Id like to walk him, but it is not fun for either of us (all previious dogs have been beautiful walkers so not sure why he isnt getting the hint).

He has a powerful neck so anything round the neck doesnt seem to bother him, he is 5 of that helps and we tried a halti a while back and he somehow got it in his mouth one of the walks and chewed through it in about one second.

Any other tips on tools I can use to help us take a nice walk together (with or without the pocket monster)?

Wow, I have learned a new swear word today!!! :)

Edited by Black Bronson

Have you tried a prong collar? They work by 'pinching' the skin around the dogs neck as opposed to a check chain that works by snapping against the muscles in a dogs neck (and can be pretty damaging in a dog with lots of muscle that simply can't feel a light correction). You only need a tiny correction with the prong and used properly they are very safe. A good trainer would be able to show you how to use one correctly :)

Yes, definitely hiring a good trainer would be best IMO :vomit: I would use a prong too SecretKei :grouphug:

I have a chronic puller too. It is a huge pain. I have been working with her solidly for the last year or so, and she is better. Not cured, but better. I tried a prong and training program as suggested and it worked fine as long as she had the prong on. I know......it is my training, not her that made it work that way, but I am the one who trains her, so she is stuck with me. We moved onto a trainer with more positive methods and it really helped. But Willow will still pull and needs constant reminding. She is strong and just stubborn about it. She gets all excited and puts her nose to the ground and off she goes. She pulled me off my feet on Sunday :) . It is exhausting. She has been confined due to an injury so is super excited atm, so I'm hoping once we get back to regular walks she will improve again.

I think it about finding the method that suits both you and your dog and then sticking with it. I won't recommend one method over another because I don't know either of you. Clicker training is good, but I struggle to manage a clicker, a treat bag and an unruly dog. Maybe look into a walking belt if you want to go down this track.

I have a chronic puller too. It is a huge pain. I have been working with her solidly for the last year or so, and she is better. Not cured, but better. I tried a prong and training program as suggested and it worked fine as long as she had the prong on. I know......it is my training, not her that made it work that way, but I am the one who trains her, so she is stuck with me. We moved onto a trainer with more positive methods and it really helped. But Willow will still pull and needs constant reminding. She is strong and just stubborn about it. She gets all excited and puts her nose to the ground and off she goes. She pulled me off my feet on Sunday :laugh: . It is exhausting. She has been confined due to an injury so is super excited atm, so I'm hoping once we get back to regular walks she will improve again.

I think it about finding the method that suits both you and your dog and then sticking with it. I won't recommend one method over another because I don't know either of you. Clicker training is good, but I struggle to manage a clicker, a treat bag and an unruly dog. Maybe look into a walking belt if you want to go down this track.

What City are you in?

> Food for heeling

Wow, I have learned a new swear word today!!! :laugh:

Too Funny BB!!! :laugh:

What was the new swearword - I am always keen for new ones, I use the old ones far too often!

Thanks for the tips and the pm with trainer details.

I haven't tried a clicker, as someone previously mentioned I imagine it would be quite hard managing a clicker, treats and a large boisterous dog. I find it hard just with the dog and the treats!

I do have two dogs (the second is only 5 kgs) and I never walk them together because the large one is so unmanageable.

I have looked at the prong collars online and also the front harnesses so we will see what we can do before we go to a trainer (he is a fantastic dog other this pulling).

What is especially annoying is he used to be perfect on lead...until he was about 1 or 1 and a half and then he became a puller....grrr

What was the new swearword - I am always keen for new ones, I use the old ones far too often!

Thanks for the tips and the pm with trainer details.

I haven't tried a clicker, as someone previously mentioned I imagine it would be quite hard managing a clicker, treats and a large boisterous dog. I find it hard just with the dog and the treats!

I do have two dogs (the second is only 5 kgs) and I never walk them together because the large one is so unmanageable.

I have looked at the prong collars online and also the front harnesses so we will see what we can do before we go to a trainer (he is a fantastic dog other this pulling).

What is especially annoying is he used to be perfect on lead...until he was about 1 or 1 and a half and then he became a puller....grrr

having him pull is painful on top of being stressfuk,
:mad I know that was a keyboard slip Lanabanana, although it was rather amusing I thought :thumbsup: Edited by Black Bronson

I have a strong Bull Arab x and tried to just keep her in a flat collar, then we moved to a martingale collar and she was still strong, then due to a recomendation I bought a front connection harness and it is the best thing :thumbsup: It was an immediate and drastic change, we now have no pulling or lunging on our walks, it is so simple but it really does work for us :mad

IMHO, if you are resorting to management devices, head collars, harnesses etc to stop a dog pulling on leash, the training process is completely wrong. It's not about finding a tool to improve the behaviour it's about setting boundaries and teaching the dog how to walk properly and using a tool that will provide a correction when necessary. Someone mentioned that their dog "put's nose to ground" and pulls............first step I would take is not allowing a "nose to ground" situation if that's the pulling trigger. Timing is the crucial factor correcting a dog on leash I believe which ultimately requires a good trainer to teach dog owners how to train their dog. Watching some Cesar Millan videos the other day rehabilitiating cronic pullers, his corrective timing I noticed was superb. :)

How would I go about that BB? Stopping her putting her nose to the ground? It is one of many triggers for her. She will pull whether or not her nose is to the ground. It is just habit for her now, and that is what is hard to break. It is very disheartening to have been struggling for over a year when people tell you it is so easy to fix and should only take 2 weeks. My timing is not perfect. My dog is very strong and pays little attention to corrections. Meanwhile she is overexcited and silly because she isn't walked enough due to it being such a chore. Neither of us gets much exercise when we are stopping all the time to correct, or taking one step at a time, or clicking and treating, or turning 180 degrees every few steps. It's frustrating.

IMHO, if you are resorting to management devices, head collars, harnesses etc to stop a dog pulling on leash, the training process is completely wrong. It's not about finding a tool to improve the behaviour it's about setting boundaries and teaching the dog how to walk properly and using a tool that will provide a correction when necessary.

You don't see any contradiction in that at all?

My thoughts exactly!!!! :)

IMHO, if you are resorting to management devices, head collars, harnesses etc to stop a dog pulling on leash, the training process is completely wrong. It's not about finding a tool to improve the behaviour it's about setting boundaries and teaching the dog how to walk properly and using a tool that will provide a correction when necessary.

You don't see any contradiction in that at all?

How would I go about that BB? Stopping her putting her nose to the ground? It is one of many triggers for her. She will pull whether or not her nose is to the ground. It is just habit for her now, and that is what is hard to break. It is very disheartening to have been struggling for over a year when people tell you it is so easy to fix and should only take 2 weeks. My timing is not perfect. My dog is very strong and pays little attention to corrections. Meanwhile she is overexcited and silly because she isn't walked enough due to it being such a chore. Neither of us gets much exercise when we are stopping all the time to correct, or taking one step at a time, or clicking and treating, or turning 180 degrees every few steps. It's frustrating.

Watch some Cesar Millan videos rehabilitating cronic pullers :laugh:

Edited by Black Bronson