Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

I am honestly sick of hearing some of the poor excuses people come up with for why they are re-homing or surrendering their pet/s.

I know there are some really experienced animal rescuers on here, and thought it might be a bit of fun to share some of the most stupidest and poor excuses that we have heard for abandoning a pet.

For example:

I once had a lady who was re-homing a great dane because he grew too big???

or the famous one....We are moving house

Please share the excuses you've heard

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't someone have a "no longer matches the new carpet/furniture" surrender last year?

There was a rescue returned because the husband was having "panic attacks" because the dog did kick backs on the grass after peeing! That one I think I'll always remember!

lets see barney our jrt...

was re homed because he wandered.... not so silly right.

they had no fence. worked away 8.5hours a day.... no dog yard. refused to tie him while getting a dog yard, so he used to cross the hwy. Oh and they didn't de sex till after he started wandering! :laugh::cry:

yeap bad doggie.

There was a rescue returned because the husband was having "panic attacks" because the dog did kick backs on the grass after peeing! That one I think I'll always remember!

that was one of ours :laugh:

Dog is old and no longer fun to have around

That one actually breaks my heart :laugh:

Just so horrible. I can't even imagine how people are able to do that. I always want to reply to those ads and ugh I don't know. Suppose there's nothing really you can do :cry:

I had someone ring me and ask me if I could take their dog (I bred the breed they had), because the kids refused to walk it and it howled all day. The kids where 7 and 4 and the dog was locked in a small garden shed because it would poop on the lawn. :cry:

I ended up taking the dog, having her desexed and retrained her and she is now in a lovely family home :laugh:

Leanne

I worked in a shelter years ago and worked in the puppies area. Some of the reasons were

"Puppy digs holes" - Puppy was about 12 wks old

"Puppy chews and bites" - Puppy was around 12 - 14wks old

"Puppy jumps" - Again around 12 weeks old.

I could not believe the amount of people that just thought their PUPPY would be completely trained at this age with no work on their part. grrrr