Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

"This cat is Schizophrenic and it attacks me in the night when it is dark and I'm alone.."
:thumbsup:

I know this is a sad topic but that made me laugh out loud!

In a strange twist, my cat does that nearly every night and I haven't rehomed her...... yet. :D

Ditto - I'm showing this to Mow. Little s*** has a habit of crawling under my doona and attacking my feet!

Some of these responses are just so sad. I'm trying to help a friend rehome a dog at the moment (her reasons are heartbreaking and unavoidable) and she says she feel disgusted with herself about it. I can't imagine going to a rescue group or pound and saying "my dog doesn't match my new decor" or "my puppy is digging" :mad

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my ex's friend gave up their 1 years old dog because it was no longer cute

I can never understand that reasoning :thumbsup: Puppies are cute and enjoyable, but are also a pain in the bum. We embrace puppyhood and easily forget how much work they are, but when they become adults is when dog ownership becomes truly satisfying IMHO :mad

Well, a 'friend of the family' (loosely used) surrended her petshop puppy to the RSPCA because it wasn't a purebred.

Her words, 'I don't want a mutt'. She wanted to 'breed'. I was so completely appalled that I had to leave the room (not before saying that she should have gotten a dog from a registered breeder if she wanted a gauranteed purebreed and also that she would simply be breeding some more pound fodder) and I spent the rest of the afternoon in tears (yes I'm a sook, I live in a sterilised world unlike your average rescuer, I hardly ever see this).

I heard from my parents that she had bought another dog from a BYB and later down the track she has had some litters. I do fear for the dogs (there is a male and female) because I would not be surprised if they get surrended once past their breeding days. I have not spoken to her since that day.

I can never understand that reasoning :thumbsup: Puppies are cute and enjoyable, but are also a pain in the bum. We embrace puppyhood and easily forget how much work they are, but when they become adults is when dog ownership becomes truly satisfying IMHO :mad

Agreed.

The worst I heard was from a friend who said their dog would get so excited and lick her when she went outside. She hated being licked so got rid of him. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't even let me help try and stop the behaviour. Any excuse will do for some people.

I know these idiots create a lot of work for rescuers but its better for these dogs/cats to be out of these homes.

The really sad thing is that most will go onto get another pet :thumbsup:

I agree with you Scarlet, these animals are better of away from these owners that should never of had them in the first place.

My Hamish was surrended to the RSPCA at 8 years of age because he 'jumped 900 ml high fences' :thumbsup: He was too bloody old and fat to do it!! I've never seen him jump anything in the nearly 4 years I have had him.

"This cat is Schizophrenic and it attacks me in the night when it is dark and I'm alone.."

LMAO! Both my cats have night time quirks. The young one claws all movement through the doona - and if your not moving yet she will claw anyway to start the game off.

The older one must sleep across my neck - he has to do the whole paddling/clawing thing to my throat first though. If I am curled up and he can't sleep on my neck, he wriggles at least one paw in to rest on my neck. I kind of love it because when we first found him (or he found us) he was so scared of me.

Agreed.

Same. Puppies have their own appeal, but I love , no i ADORE older dogs !

Not a rescue situation, but i found out that one of my clients re homed their dog because they renovated their house and now the dog would have to walk across a carpeted area to get to its bed!!!!!

One of our Chihuahua that we took from someone on the spur of the moment a year or so ago, because it bit their kid on the face and was 'Vicious' ......we found out later that the FOUR year old had climbed into the dogs kennel and cornered him there. We haven't had anything but kisses on the face from him.

Just a reminder that ITS NEVER THE DOGS FAULT. It's humans that screw it up for the dog .

Dog is old and no longer fun to have around

That one actually breaks my heart :thumbsup:

me too :mad Can only hope the dog found a loving family to live his/her twilight years with .

I can never understand that reasoning :thumbsup: Puppies are cute and enjoyable, but are also a pain in the bum. We embrace puppyhood and easily forget how much work they are, but when they become adults is when dog ownership becomes truly satisfying IMHO :D

Agreed.

Not a rescue situation, but i found out that one of my clients re homed their dog because they renovated their house and now the dog would have to walk across a carpeted area to get to its bed!!!!!

One of our Chihuahua that we took from someone on the spur of the moment a year or so ago, because it bit their kid on the face and was 'Vicious' ......we found out later that the FOUR year old had climbed into the dogs kennel and cornered him there. We haven't had anything but kisses on the face from him.

Just a reminder that ITS NEVER THE DOGS FAULT. It's humans that screw it up for the dog .

Totally agreed. Puppies are cute, but a hell of a lot of work and very tiresome. Evey time I get one I tell myself, never again.... but i always line up again a few years later :mad

And as much as I love all my dogs, even when they are puppies, I really enjoy them so much more when they get to about 2 or 3 years old and from then on they are just Magic.

Edited to say, DBT, your avatar nearly made me wet my pants. That is so funny, just gorgeous. Thank you.

Edited by dyzney

Agreed.

Here, here..always the bl--dy humans...

In a perfect world people who have surrendered pets for pathetic reasons should be banned from any further pet ownerships.

I wonder what excuses dogs and cats would use if they were allowed to surrender their owners(although dogs being so much more forgiving and loving they probably wouldn't)

-my owner doesn't feed me- my owner doesn't walk me or ever let me out of a prison cell/yard-my owner hurts me, is cruel and heartless-my owner ignores me for days.

Sorry that was a bit off topic but I just cant fathom what pi$$ poor excuses our wonderful rescuers must have to listen to on a daily basis :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I know this is a sad topic but that made me laugh out loud!

In a strange twist, my cat does that nearly every night and I haven't rehomed her...... yet. :D

Ditto - I'm showing this to Mow. Little s*** has a habit of crawling under my doona and attacking my feet!

Some of these responses are just so sad. I'm trying to help a friend rehome a dog at the moment (her reasons are heartbreaking and unavoidable) and she says she feel disgusted with herself about it. I can't imagine going to a rescue group or pound and saying "my dog doesn't match my new decor" or "my puppy is digging" :mad

My cat truely did have a mental health issue - was on medication for it - and would sometimes just take off in a blind panic, up the wall or accross my face slicing my cheek and eye lids with his claws. He would sometimes go from a dead sleep to shredding me - very disconcerting during the night.

I adored him, there will never be another Arnie and he died very suddenly from a suspected heart attack om my bed at not quite 12. I still miss him terribly - Some people really make you wonder.

A friend of mine got 3 Guinea pigs because the child wouldn't feed them of look after them and the mother had bought them for the child. The child was 18 months old!!!!!!

Working in a vet hospital you hear them all. One I do remember was a 8 or 9 year old Shihtzu who needed a teeth clean , but it didn't have any major issues with his mouth. He was booked in for the procedure but when the day came to have it done, she walked in the door and wanted him euthed because he was old and he needed to be PTS. I was quite shocked and probbed a little more (which as a general rule I didn't do) the other reason, he sometimes whinged and it annoyed her. He was such a wonderful little dog and there was no way she would consider a rehome it had to be PTS.

"We put in a pool, so don't have a yard for her anymore"- surrendering a 13 year old Spring Spaniel

"I used to have a friend who would take her went I went on holidays, but she's not my friend anymore. Good friends are so hard to find" - woman surrendering a cat because she refused to pay for boarding. Ironic that she left a friend at the shelter . . . .

"He's too bouncy and strong".

Their kids were scared of dogs, so to cure the problem....they bought them a 6 week old Stafford from a backyarder, and refused to train it because "everyone we know has a staffy and they're great dogs, born perfect".

So the one year old Staff that was confined to the backyard because it was too energetic, and was never walked because it "pulled, even with a choke chain on", was surrended for being it's breed.

I tried to point this logic out to them but now they're convinced it "had something wrong with it", and it couldn't possibly be because they bought a bull breed without knowing anything about them, and didn't train it.

Years ago we had a Stafford bitch returned because she was impossible to toilet train.......she was 8 and a half weeks old, they had her for only 4 days!!

They actually returned her to be toilet trained, but dear me, she just never got the idea so we didn't send her back....lol This girl is now almost 11 and has never, not even once pee'd inside, not since the day they returned her.....lol poor girl was terrified of newspaper, especially rolled up newspaper.....wonder why???

She became a show Champion and was our biggest winning female to date. Her son is our biggest winning male to date...lol

Edited by alotanewfs

I am shocked people actually give those excuses. Some people are idiots and selfish.

I knew someone with a JRT. He never got any affection, shut out in a shed all day, the backgarden was just grass (no trees or anything). I guess he was about 8 or 9 years old and they gave him away. Just like that. They didn't want to 'deal with him' anymore. She didn't even care i dont think. He didn't even do anything wrong. He was well behaved! ( i lost touch with her and found out years later she gave him away. I would have tried to take him if i knew).

She never felt any 'attachment' to her dog. I dont get it. I was heartbroken when my old dog died.