Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

"Bored with this breed so our family decided to buy another breed" :cheer:

"Dog barks and wakes my baby"

"Dog keeps getting bad skin but I need to disinfect my floor"---dog has a bad reaction to BLEACH

"I just got a divorce. Dog reminds me of my partner"

"Eww he has arthritis and I don't want to pay for glucosamine every month"---a very young GR

"Meat prices have gone up and he eats way too much"

"Dog hair made my boyfriend sneeze"

These are all real cases I have come across personally. Tell me not to get disheartened with humans :cheer:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people I know through my partner are rehoming there dogs because they are moving and the house has a pool and not much backyard - to me it seems like they are choosing a pool over there dogs :cheer: My partner says to me "why am I even friends with these people" The ladys partner didnt like there cat anymore so he dumped it out bush. It came home 2 weeks later starving. They had another dog and he didnt want it anymore so he took it out bush and shot it :cheer:

When our cat got hit by a car and we decided to keep him inside from now on (yes we were stupid having him outside,puts flame suit on) We were discussing making him a cat run and my MILs boyfriend said "Why dont you just put an ad in the paper and give him away, will save all this drama) He was referring to all the vet bills we paid to get him better and then the cost of the cat run etc. I got soooo angry, I would rather pay everything I had and go without whatever it took to save my baby. Other people critised us for keeping him indoors, saying that it is cruel and mean and he should be allowed out. Even if it means risking him getting hit by a car again :cheer: I DONT F**KING THINK SO. I know he misses the outdoors but isn't it better for him to be inside where he is safe and not killing wildlife etc?? Sorry that was a bit OT.

My ex from many years ago bought a Border Collie x pup. She was absolutely fantastic and never did a thing wrong, very intelligent. When she was about a year old he said he was taking her to be put down because she dug a hole. I went outside to have a look and the hole was about 5cm deep. Needless to say the relationship didn't last and I went back back after I left and kidnapped the dog and she lived with me until she died at an old age. He probably went out and go another one though :cheer:

"I can't keep my dog anymore. my new boyfriend is jealous because I got the dog with my ex. we are going to get a new puppy together."

This girl was giving up her 8 years old Labrador x and told my dad. My dad took the dog home and the dog lived with us for another 3 years before going to Rainbow Bridge.

"I wanted a white dog but now it's a creamy colour"

This was a couple giving up a Maltese x (my Aunty still has this dog)

"We learn that cats are easier to look after. So we got rid of our dog and got a cat."

My sister's friend told me over this over dinner a few years back. The dog was about 6 years old.

Luckily, the couple's other friend took that dog in.

Two that are NOT funny, make my blood boil, which I see on Gumtree ads a lot (note to self...stop looking at Gumtree pet section):

1. We had a baby

2. We are moving and cannot take the dog with us.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Yup.. hate to hear these two particular excuses as well. Sadly, they are all too common. Sigh.

Two that are NOT funny, make my blood boil, which I see on Gumtree ads a lot (note to self...stop looking at Gumtree pet section):

1. We had a baby

2. We are moving and cannot take the dog with us.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Yup.. hate to hear these two particular excuses as well. Sadly, they are all too common. Sigh.

yep.. I know a couple that had 2 beautiful dogs which they loved dearly for about 5 years, however all that changed when they had a their first child, & all of a sudden the dogs became an inconvenience to them. both dogs where rehomed. :cheer::cheer:

"I can't keep my dog anymore. my new boyfriend is jealous because I got the dog with my ex. we are going to get a new puppy together."

That one is bad :cheer: Get rid of the stupid jealous NEW boyfriend....pleeeeaaaaase.....wonder if the new boyfriend inflicted more Jealous traits onto her in that relationship - oh well - she chose him. :cheer:

I have had

* dog is too hyper for my caravan where i live - JRT 6 mths old

* puppy chewed it's toy up - 8 week old Kelpie

* dog digs my garden

* dog makes yellow stains on my lawn

* I have had a baby - don't want the dog anymore

* dog leaves fur all over the place - foxy......

* dog gets out all the time - chicken wire fencing - terrier

* dog barks because the kids don't play with it - isn't is supposed to amuse itself :cheer: - 10 month old poodle

* the puppy wees all the time everywhere - 6 week old tiny fluffer

* dog jumps onto the trampoline - staffy

I get the moving one the most though....... :cheer:

Hmm let's see. My ex-SIL surrendered her pug X to me because it barked a lot. She bought it at 6 weeks old from a horrible pet shop and basically threw it out the back. No training, no walks. She lived in a unit with a postage stamp sized yard. I asked why she doesnt let it inside with them. "Because he wees on the floor". Have you toilet trained him? No. She expected him to come TT'd I think. Oh and he sheds hair. The pet shop told her pugs don't shed :cheer:

My stepbrother was getting rid of their dog - dumping it at the pound. Why? Because he jumped on the kids when they went outside. The dog was an 8 month old gold lab! They hadn't trained it either.

I truly hate the general public. I've never gotten rid of an animal. And I have a crazy Birman who does stealth attacks in the middle of the night too lol. When he was a few months old, he bit my partner on the nose at 2am :cheer: I thought it was funny!

The moving excuse drives me insane....

I actually wonder if half the people are really moving???? or if they are too lazy to come up with another excuse. I often ask them where they are moving..just to make them uncomfortable.

I have moved interstate and to numerous homes, and it has NEVER been a problem to take my pets with me. If the place I am looking at isn't pet friendly, I just don't move there.

I worked with a lady who is a guide dog trainer and she has taken her dog with her from America to London from London to Sydney from Sydney to Adelaide, now try and tell me that I'm moving house is an excuse!!

You commit to a pet for its entire life...The good and the bads...The young and the olds....Healthy and the sick.

Just as your pet commits its entire life to loving you....It doesnt matter to them if you are ....Fat and Ugly...Healthy or sick....Rich or Poor...Young or old...They love you unconditionally and that is the biggest lesson mankind has to learn from their pets

Edited by PeiPei

The moving excuse drives me insane....

I actually wonder if half the people are really moving???? or if they are too lazy to come up with another excuse. I often ask them where they are moving..just to make them uncomfortable.

I have moved interstate and to numerous homes, and it has NEVER been a problem to take my pets with me. If the place I am looking at isn't pet friendly, I just don't move there.

I worked with a lady who is a guide dog trainer and she has taken her dog with her from America to London from London to Sydney from Sydney to Adelaide, now try and tell me that I'm moving house is an excuse!!

You commit to a pet for its entire life...The good and the bads...The young and the olds....Healthy and the sick.

Just as your pet commits its entire life to loving you....It doesnt matter to them if you are ....Fat and Ugly...Healthy or sick....Rich or Poor...Young or old...They love you unconditionally and that is the biggest lesson mankind has to learn from their pets

This is going OT but I just had to state that what you said above annoys me. You shouldn't condemn everyone who has rehomed a animal because they where moving.

Quite a few years ago our family rehomed our 2 german shepherds. The reason was because we where moving.

We had a big house and a huge property, but due to unforeseen circumstances, we had to sell the house and move into a rental property. Mum spent 6 solid months searching for a house to rent where we could keep the 2 dogs and the cat, and found it impossible. We couldn't move out of the area or interstate due to needing to be close to my dads office. we also needed a specific size house because of the size of our family.

Mum looked for ages and finally found an amazing home for the shepherds out in the country with a woman and her 2 kids. They have acres and acres of property to call their own and are completely loved and adored by the family. Even now, over 5 years later, we will hear from their new owner, a little update on how they're going.

Sure you commit to a pet for life, but that doesn't necessarily mean the best thing for that animal is to be with you. I would much rather my dogs be happy and healthy.

Edited by lovemesideways

My ex brought Boss for me and if my current boyfriend at the time EVER said that to me he would no longer be my boyfriend! Boss is a better man then they will ever be anyway... what more could you ask for really!

Edited by Miss BeRidgierent

i chose to get an older re homed dog, but had one of the rescue ladies say i was selfish not wanting to be to be bothered with a "piddlely pup" (yes the piddlely pup was my quote to her) puppies are nice but when you work it can be hard work...

my thought was get it in that horrible teenage stage when most people re home.... they can do the hard puppy yards! :eek::( and i can have the fun time..... teeny years!..... :)

the last 3 of our dogs came this way and could not be happier!

as for the nasty cat..... my friend has one..... it was re homed to her! yes it has climbed her leg while doing the midnight toilet run....it really does try to go for the jugular vein. no dog has ever taken it on and won!.....nor another cat!

*We just had a baby

*My old senile grandfather keeps hitting him with a cane :)

*My Dad doesn't like the dog

*He escapes

*We're going on holidays

*Were moving overseas (less than 2 months after getting the dog)

*My rescue boy Mosley was surrendered at 12 weeks because he was nipping the owners child....

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I just have no time for anyone who comes in wanting to surrender their pet anymore.

I worked with a girl who sold her dog because she (the dog) liked her husband more than her :eek: This girl was a serial rehomer of animals. bought a Rotti at 5 weeks (:)) and rehomed as they moved into a unit, bought one kitten, then another and ended up rehoming one of them because he made a mess kicking his litter out of the tray. Last I heard from her (a year or so ago) she had a pup but when I asked about her I got no answer so she has probably been rehomed too (I saw the pup once and she was a typical puppy jumping biting etc but I could see no training was being done and this girl would get mad with her :( ) It would not surprise me if she had another animal. Oh she also had a rabbit at one stage but that went cos she was smelly :(

Hmm let's see. My ex-SIL surrendered her pug X to me because it barked a lot. She bought it at 6 weeks old from a horrible pet shop and basically threw it out the back. No training, no walks. She lived in a unit with a postage stamp sized yard. I asked why she doesnt let it inside with them. "Because he wees on the floor". Have you toilet trained him? No. She expected him to come TT'd I think. Oh and he sheds hair. The pet shop told her pugs don't shed :)

My stepbrother was getting rid of their dog - dumping it at the pound. Why? Because he jumped on the kids when they went outside. The dog was an 8 month old gold lab! They hadn't trained it either.

I truly hate the general public. I've never gotten rid of an animal. And I have a crazy Birman who does stealth attacks in the middle of the night too lol. When he was a few months old, he bit my partner on the nose at 2am :eek: I thought it was funny!

Omg we have a cat who does stealth attacks in the night too! During the day, he's the sweetest thing but god help you if you have to go to the toilet at night... If you don't turn all the lights on, you're in trouble and he doesn't hold back.

Absolute worst excuse I've ever seen (and don't usually admit it) but they get a new puppy, and end up replacing their current dog. My mum had some work acquaintances who had a dog who was at least 6-7, but when they got a new puppy, they decided the old one should stay with the parents until the new one could settle in. He never came home, because supposedly he didn't like the new puppy, and when the parents moved he was surrended.

My father in law had an oops pregnancy with his working dog, I took her, looked after her, kept 2 of the 4 pups, (had the females desexed later including the mother) had great homes lined up for the other two. The home for the male fell through, I was diagnosed with cancer, had to start chemo fast and it would have been too much to screen new owners so I sadly surrendered him to a rescue. They were wonderful to me, kept me informed and he found a wonderful home. I have heard from them too.

I too hate people surrendering for trivial reasons and bless those who run rescues.

Edited by di_dee1

It's true, I think sometimes it's not so easy as just taking an animal with you when you move. I'm wondering what would become of my rabbit and hare if I had to move overseas in a few years in order to get a job. I could take them out of the country, but they cetainly wouldn't be coming back in no matter how badly I wanted to bring them. And I seriously think it would be way too much for my hare. He'd be better off released into the wild with a kiss and a prayer. It would break my heart, but sometimes the best thing for an animal is to rehome it. I'd rather someone rehomed their dog because they recognised they were no longer particularly interested than hold onto them and never take them out of the yard or do any training with them or play any games with them or spend any time with them.

Having said that, I can't understand how people could get a pet and have it not be a member of the family. How can they not get attached to it?

Slightly OT I called in at my vet's today and there were two bogans there with a box of tiny kittens that they were wanting the vet to find homes for. :cry:

They weren't going to desex the mum because it was too expensive and were keeping a male cat that they were also not going to desex!! :laugh:

I suppose at least they didn't drown them or dump them in the bush!! :D