Atopica

My 18mth GSD bitch has been diagnosed with Atopic Dermatitis and today we've come home with yet another course of cortisone and ab's :eek:

She saw a different vet (regular vet away) and he has ordered a drug called Atopica because I said I wasn't keen on continued use of cortisone. I have come home as googled Atopica (as you do :) ) at it's not looking good.

Can anyone give me any information they may have on Atopica - the good, bad and ugly???

Atopica was going to be our backup in case immunotherapy didn't work. Have you thought about trying Immunotherapy? All I know about it is that it can work for some dogs, but it is very expensive.

Our Jedi has severe atopic dermatitis (allergic to house dust, dust mites and food mites) and after only 4 months of immunotherapy he is a new dog! He was so bad that he had to wear a bucket on his head and be physically restrained from scratching or he would make himself bleed. He also pulled out the majority of his fur. He responded extremely fast to his injections and is now completely off steroids and hardly scratches at all anymore!

My 18mth GSD bitch has been diagnosed with Atopic Dermatitis and today we've come home with yet another course of cortisone and ab's :eek:

She saw a different vet (regular vet away) and he has ordered a drug called Atopica because I said I wasn't keen on continued use of cortisone. I have come home as googled Atopica (as you do :) ) at it's not looking good.

Can anyone give me any information they may have on Atopica - the good, bad and ugly???

Have you seen a dermatologist? I have not used that drug as my dog has only started with his allergies but some others on here have uased it, I think there is another thread on here regarding allergies and there may be some info in there. My dog sees the derm next week friday and then I will know what the treatment plan for him will be.

Atopica was going to be our backup in case immunotherapy didn't work. Have you thought about trying Immunotherapy? All I know about it is that it can work for some dogs, but it is very expensive.

Our Jedi has severe atopic dermatitis (allergic to house dust, dust mites and food mites) and after only 4 months of immunotherapy he is a new dog! He was so bad that he had to wear a bucket on his head and be physically restrained from scratching or he would make himself bleed. He also pulled out the majority of his fur. He responded extremely fast to his injections and is now completely off steroids and hardly scratches at all anymore!

A dermatologist was also mentioned today, however I had thought I would try Atopica first (vet said there were no side-effects :eek: ). I started to get a bit concerned when he said she may end up on it for the rest of her life and then said she'll have to have 6mthly blood tests :)

TerraNik I remember Jedi was having serious problems so it's great to know immunotherapy has worked so well!!! I think we might have to have a rethink regarding where we go from here and maybe 'start' with the Dermatologist.

Edited by gsdog2

I have come home as googled Atopica (as you do :) ) at it's not looking good.

My golden retriever puppy 8 months has had severe atopic dermatitis since she was 3 months old. Tried everything as I listed on another thread. I am reluctant to use cortisone as it will shorten her life dramatically and she is sooooo gorgeous. Vet suggested atopica - and it has been a godsend. Suddenly almost all itching has gone and the red welts, pustules and pimples all over her are disappearing. We have not been able to desex her because of the skin inflammation but now maybe I can book her in.

The cost is high. My vet has ordered 100 tablets for me which will cost me $500 from a ??compounding chemist. My Olivia has been on Atopica for 10 days and I am very happy although poor.

Apparently Atopica has no bad effects on her like cortisone.

Pamela

TerraNik I remember Jedi was having serious problems so it's great to know immunotherapy has worked to well!!! I think we might have to have a rethink regarding where we go from here and maybe 'start' with the Dermatologist.

Oh definitely!!!!!!!! If you haven't seen a dermatologist - get a referral. That was the single best thing we have done for Jedi since he got his allergies... Prior to that we were struggling big time!

The dermatologist did all the testing for what he was allergic to and then gave us 3 options - steroids, immunotherapy or atopica. We chose immunotherapy with steroid assistance while we got started just to give him a better quality of life. Our backup was atopica, following by steroids. I will be forever thankful to our dermatologist - amazing results!

TerraNik I remember Jedi was having serious problems so it's great to know immunotherapy has worked to well!!! I think we might have to have a rethink regarding where we go from here and maybe 'start' with the Dermatologist.

Oh definitely!!!!!!!! If you haven't seen a dermatologist - get a referral. That was the single best thing we have done for Jedi since he got his allergies... Prior to that we were struggling big time!

The dermatologist did all the testing for what he was allergic to and then gave us 3 options - steroids, immunotherapy or atopica. We chose immunotherapy with steroid assistance while we got started just to give him a better quality of life. Our backup was atopica, following by steroids. I will be forever thankful to our dermatologist - amazing results!

I am so glad to hear you have ha good results with a derm, I am looking forward to out consult next week friday.

For me, going to a dermatologist is a major thing as it is a 2-hour plus drive there and back and a cost of $?? 600 + and I am unsure of the outcome. At least on Atopica I get a 6-month "cure" for $500 (enough tablets to last 6 months) although when I have saved up a bit more, maybe I will take her to the big smoke and a dermatologist. Also my vet tells me she has to be off cortisone and having had the food elimination diet for 8 weeks before she can have skin testing so Atopica allows her to go off cortisone and over the next 6 months I will think about possibilities on the food elimination diet ....