How Close Are You To Your Breeder?

poodlemum

Just interested in stories. My upcoming wedding is going to be a very small affair, only about 20 guests in all, but 2 of them are people who have bought puppies from me & have become good friends.

Anyone else become friends with the breeder of their dog, or with someone who bought a puppy from them?

Edited by poodlemum

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have three aussies from three breeders. :cry:

I have become really good friends with two other aussie breeders who one day i hope to be lucky enough to get a pup from.

The breeders who I bought the aussies from have been goodin keeping in touch for the most part, but not on a really good friend level.

One of the aussie's breeders and myself had a faling out over a co-owned dog with monochridism(sp?) and she hasnt spoken to me since.

Edited by Bonnie Parker

I love my breeders and talk to them regulary, as well as attending shows so that I am able to catch up with them and their dogs and they get to see Shyla. The wife in particular has a very close bond to Shyla because of how she had major surgery at 3 weeks of age and she had to help her through recovery and slept on the couch next to her for 4 weeks monitoring her and tending to her she was a big job. The fact that they decided to go ahead with the surgery and give that little pup a chance at life is amazing I reckon, and shows how genuine they really are. I enjoy talking to them often and seeing them :cry:

One girl bought a pup from me 25 years ago when she was still in Teachers College, we kept in touch initially but then life moved on - 12 years ago she moved near me and started bringing her new rescue dog to classes - she ended up by helping me out about 6 years ago and tutoring my kids thru Primary School, She now has another one of my dogs.

In the last two litters I've had friends wanting to buy pups - this is even better as I already know how they are with the dogs and they know what the pups are going to be like. Plus a big bonus I get to watch them growing up because i tend to see them every couple of weeks.

I have had no contact with the breeders in years, I sent Kaos's a breeder a few chrissy cards, and have only seen her once since i got kaos

Wont even bother talking about Ats breeders.

I do email and talk to the cats breeder a lot tho :cry:

We have been lucky enough to have great breeders/mentors in our chosen breeds, and also great contact so far with at least two puppy buyers! :laugh: We've only had one litter, and I must admit being a bit disappointed with the only puppy buyer who hasn't answered my emails now the pups are 6 months old. :cry:

I have kept in touch with our girls breeder for the past 13 years. We might only see them once or twice a year but I know they are only a phone call or email away.

They came to our wedding when my dogs were two years old and were "Dog of Honour" with myself as bride and "Best Dog" with my husband as the groom.

I have a great relationship with my first breeder. She came to my wedding and I still visit her everytime I go back to Sydney even though I dont have one of her dogs anymore (but will soon!!).

With my next two dogs, I have a great relationship with the breeders and have gone out with them socially. I email them both and they are both wonderful people and always helpful.

I have had quite a few Christmas cards over the years from puppy buyers but no really close relationships.

None of my puppies have stayed 'local' to me so we are not friends socially with their owners,

but we do maintain a good relationship with them all via FaceBook, Email, Visits when possible, Telephone calls to update etc.

I get lots of stories and photos too, which I love.

We also have an annual get-together and BBQ on the beach for all Jerojath "puppies" which is a lot of fun and a great chance to

see how everyone is going and help with any problems they might be having...

We have had 3 litters in the last year so numbers will be well up this year! :cry:

As a purchaser I am still good friends with the breeder I brought my original sheltie off over 25years ago. I have brought shelties off 4 other breeders since then and have close contact with 2 of them and occasional with the other 2. My aussies are a bit different. I do still e-mail them occasionally but not very often at all. That may be because I am a fellow breeder of the shelties so we have a common interest whereas I am really a pet owner of aussies.

As a breeder I keep in contact with all of my puppies. I ring them on their birthday and send Xmas cards which most of them reciprocate. Apart from that, after the first 12mths I only ever hear from if they are wanting another or something good or bad has happened. In the end all you can do is be there for them

Guest belgian.blue
I have three aussies from three breeders. :cry:

Three??

I'm good friends with both of my dogs breeders, though I'm yet to meet either of them. Hopefully meet them later this year or next.

Still in contact with my first two Pointers breeders, as they are in Perth .. so nice and local!

Edited by belgian.blue

I'd like to say I can call toby's breeder my friend. We communitcate alot via text and about more than the dogs :( Not usually more than a few days without contact and I am stoked I have a good friend there.

Trina our new baby's breeder is awesome and we communicate often although this thread reminded me I owe her an email :) I was asking her about a few things re grooming. A few days later products and printed information appeared in the mail with a bound book she put together with masses of information. It never ceases to amaze me not only the volume of info she knows but also the generosity in sharing it :cry::laugh: :D

I wish both mine were local though!

I love all three of our purebred's breeders for a variety of reasons.

Gracie's we didn't really keep in contact with until we started showing and now we see her most weekends so let her know how Gracie is doing. We set up together recently too and she's so wonderful and full of knowledge.

We have kept in contact with Ruby's breeder since we had our old girl Bridget from her, but since getting Ruby she is easily a family friend. I have house/dog sat for her and we see each other for birthdays and parties. Very much a friend. Mum and her talk at least once a week, usually more, on the phone.

And Holly's breeder, well! She's awesome but I have to say that cause she's a member on here. :cry: No, she is very much a friend and again often rings or I ring her. I handle her dogs too so that helps with staying close. Holly is co-owned so any major decisions with her goes through her breeder first.

I feel I have really good relationships with all them but showing and wanting to breed in the future has helped give us stay in contact too.

As a breeder i have become good friends with most of my puppy owners, and still get regular photos an updates, but i also contact them and see how my babies are going. :laugh:

I have also brought puppies from breeders and have made the effort to keep them updated , but only one is interested in their dog they bred. :cry:

I still have all my puppies, baby photos and there birth weights and so on in there own books, its a sad thing they leave home :D .