Are Wheatbix Or Porridge Safe For A Dog?

It is perfectly safe- but totally unneccesary :)

Dogs do not need cereals/milk. Fill her up with good meat/bones, or a proper puppy kibble.her body does not require , or deal well with, cereal. Porridge would be better than weetbix if you MUST feed stuff like that... but it is only a cheap way of filling the puppy up-

if you think about it.... did your pup's ancestors grow up munching on wheat/oat crops? Did they go round milking cows? No. They hunted animals/birds/fish..and ate everything, including bones and skin, eyeballs and fur. They also occasionally ate ripe fruit /berries on their travels ..and some fresh green soft grass.

I used to give my guys a single weetbix with puppy milk as babies to get their hunger through the night. Like persephone said, it's not really necessary - but it's safe to give them either of those.

Edited by :ange:

I have always found mice/chicken wings to satisfy them longer- without really filling their belly .Quality over quantity :) My first job at 17 y o was raising a large litter os OESD's. They mainly ate weetbix/milk..I have never used it since :)

Thanks!

She's only tried a bit of porridge and seemed to like it (although right now it appears she'll eat anything). She may have eaten it because it was warm.

We give her biscuits in the morning - sometimes moisitened, sometimes dry/hard and some puppy millk.

Other people in the house always want to feed her this and that instead of sticking to the diet sheet i got from the breeder! They keep wanting to feed her on tin dog food too - the my dog one. They dont come in a puppy version, and my vet said they are fine but s long as its a puppy version.

Edited by goldee

Thanks!

Other people in the house always want to feed her this and that instead of sticking to the diet sheet i got from the breeder!

Other people need to be given a kick up the bum. :)

There is bugger all nutritional value in cereal.. .the milk's OK but its just mush that fills dogs up.

Thanks!

Other people in the house always want to feed her this and that instead of sticking to the diet sheet i got from the breeder!

Other people need to be given a kick up the bum. :)

There is bugger all nutritional value in cereal.. .the milk's OK but its just mush that fills dogs up.

Hahaha yes i agree! Its hard to get them to but out!

When i think about it, its just oats, while it may fill her up, she needs something benefical for her too!

Porridge is tradionally used by some greyhound people. I have used it to get weight on off the track greys and it works well, but only in addition to the normal rations, not as a replacement. Made with powdered milk and a bit of gravy powder for flavour it can get weight on stubbornly thin hounds very nicely indeed. It also seems to stimulate appetite.

Porridge is tradionally used by some greyhound people. I have used it to get weight on off the track greys and it works well, but only in addition to the normal rations, not as a replacement. Made with powdered milk and a bit of gravy powder for flavour it can get weight on stubbornly thin hounds very nicely indeed. It also seems to stimulate appetite.

What she said :)

Traditionally as far as I can tell oats and barley are the two grains recommended for sighthounds. Not that your pup is a sighthound but I'd go porridge over weetbix if you wanted to feed one of them. Although the breeder of one of mine did recommend weetbix - puppy wouldn't have a bar of it though.

Edited by Diva

Consider getting a compost bin (secure from dog digging) for those "other people" who want to feed her random food or left overs. That way the food is not being "wasted" or thrown out.

I like to feed my dog the occasional carrot for munching crunching value. Nutritional value, not a lot.

Consider getting a compost bin (secure from dog digging) for those "other people" who want to feed her random food or left overs. That way the food is not being "wasted" or thrown out.

I like to feed my dog the occasional carrot for munching crunching value. Nutritional value, not a lot.

Yeah we give her carrots to munch on - but more so for something for her to chew on (she's teething). Im going to look at getting a bone for her.

The breeder recommended, biscuits & puppy milk for breakfast, mince & biscuits for lunch and biscuits and chicken necks for dinner. The other people want to feed her with tin dog food because it is easier. I REALLY do not want her to become over weight (our last dog was a bit and she was too old to exercise to loose it). I tell them not to give her that but they do. Yet at night when its time to take her out for the toilet - its 'well its your dog you take her out'!

Porridge with honey and milk sticks to their ribs and certainly won't hurt them.

My babies always had a warm starter of soaked oats, honey and goats milk as their stupid o'clock brekky before having their meat and bones meal at a more respectable hour.

The oldies also appreciate a warm starter of Soaked oats with honey and milk on cold mornings.

Does she need it? No, but it certainly wont hurt her as part of a balanced diet.

Porridge with honey and milk sticks to their ribs and certainly won't hurt them.

My babies always had a warm starter of soaked oats, honey and goats milk as their stupid o'clock brekky before having their meat and bones meal at a more respectable hour.

The oldies also appreciate a warm starter of Soaked oats with honey and milk on cold mornings.

Does she need it? No, but it certainly wont hurt her as part of a balanced diet.

Oh thats good too hear! Its mainly just a tiny warm bit to go along with her biscuits but not every day.

What type of bones would you recommend for a 9 week old puppy? (supervised of course!)

Yeah we give her carrots to munch on - but more so for something for her to chew on (she's teething). Im going to look at getting a bone for her.

She is 9 weeks old? She won't be teething until around 5 months of age ;)

re: the feeding. Canned food is mostly water . waste of money, and not much nutrition.

Whose dog is she? Why are 'the other people' feeding her??? Don't you live there, or what? perhpas see that She gets a good breakfast - (NOT cereals)...meat/puppy kibble. a meaty bone to chew on/play with during the day ..a meal when you get home...and a light snack for supper.

If 'the others' really want to feed her.. why don't YOU prepare a meal for her and leave in the fridge? That way she is getting what you want to feed her... and they think they are doing their bit.

She will benefit from bones every day :) chicken wings/turkey necks... all sorts . I don't like chicken necks much for anything bigger than cavs.. I worry about them getting stuck in the oesophagus :( but that's just me .

personally I don't understand why they are wanting to feed her at all.......

re: the feeding. Canned food is mostly water . waste of money, and not much nutrition.

Whose dog is she? Why are 'the other people' feeding her??? Don't you live there, or what? perhpas see that She gets a good breakfast - (NOT cereals)...meat/puppy kibble. a meaty bone to chew on/play with during the day ..a meal when you get home...and a light snack for supper.

If 'the others' really want to feed her.. why don't YOU prepare a meal for her and leave in the fridge? That way she is getting what you want to feed her... and they think they are doing their bit.

She will benefit from bones every day :) chicken wings/turkey necks... all sorts . I don't like chicken necks much for anything bigger than cavs.. I worry about them getting stuck in the oesophagus :( but that's just me .

Really? Oh thats what i was told because she was chewing/biting so much. Must just be that stage then.

Yeah i read that about tin dog food (mostly water). Its alright for a quick fix, but it looks HORRIBLE!

she's my dog. I do live there but am at work and they are home most of the time. I have planned to get her meat (mince) all packaged out into the right quantities so all they have to do is cook it for lunch. Thats the only meal they need to heat up! But they keep pushing the tin dog food (because its 'easier'). It doesn't take long to cook some mince!

Yeah we got chicken necks and she loved them, and then they were at the shops they bought some but small ones! i worry about her choking on them!

Really? Oh thats what i was told because she was chewing/biting so much. Must just be that stage then.

Yeah i read that about tin dog food (mostly water). Its alright for a quick fix, but it looks HORRIBLE!

she's my dog. I do live there but am at work and they are home most of the time. I have planned to get her meat (mince) all packaged out into the right quantities so all they have to do is cook it for lunch. Thats the only meal they need to heat up! But they keep pushing the tin dog food (because its 'easier'). It doesn't take long to cook some mince!

Yeah we got chicken necks and she loved them, and then they were at the shops they bought some but small ones! i worry about her choking on them!

No need to cook her food. Why are you feeding mince? Is this what was on the breeder's recommended feeding sheet?

She needs a nutritonally balanced meals. Meat alone is not a balanced meal. Why not just get them to feed a decent quality puppy kibble for the lunchtime meal. That's "easier" than canned food.

Edited by poodlefan

No need to cook her food. Why are you feeding mince? Is this what was on the breeder's recommended feeding sheet?

She needs a nutritonally balanced meals. Meat alone is not a balanced meal. Why not just get them to feed a decent quality puppy kibble for the lunchtime meal. That's "easier" than canned food.

Yep it was. Dont you need to cook the mince?

She gets the mince and dry biscuits (supercoat) mixed together and sometimes with vegetables etc (ones she can have)