Horsies...

kja

The local horse & pony club has a Gymkhana (??) this weekend and if I have some time I thought I might pop out there and shoot some frames.

There's going to be barrel racing & jumping and I have no idea what else. The arena area isn't that huge, but it's a good size.

Anyone been to one of these? What kind of things do they do?

I only want to carry a little bit of gear so am wondering if I should bring the big 100-400? It feels like that would be too much lens for this but having not done it before I don't know.

I'm only shooting for kicks & giggles as one of my goals this June is to do things I haven't done before in my town (I've been here for ten years!)

When I used to compete we did fun things like egg and spoon races, reverse racing (see who could walk their horse the slowest while still moving) and flag races.

If it was me, I would take the 100-400 but it is a lot of lens and you probably could get away with maximum 200 or 250mm.

Some pony clubs are a bit (very) protective/precious about photography of children at pony club. It's best to introduce yourself to the secretary or someone on the committee first. It is difficult for them, they want good photos of the ponies/children, but are caught up in the regulations like any junior sports club these days. The 400 might be over-kill, you have the 70-200 don't you? And an 18-50 or thereabouts for some group shots, you need wider capacity for the line-ups of the littlies. They'd probably like something for their Newsletter. We expects a few of your shots here next week.

Guest belgian.blue
The local horse & pony club has a Gymkhana (??) this weekend

In Exmouth? Wow didn't think there would be something like that out that way!!

Look forward to seeing your photos :laugh:

I think you'd be better off with a 70-200 as previously suggested, the 100-400 is just too big, especially in a small field.

Here are a few pics from our local Ag show with my 70-200 (much better place to get horsie pics without getting into trouble). The horses were in a fairly big sports stadium and it was very rarely that I felt I would have needed a longer lens. Please excuse my over-processing though - someone got a little carried away while editing :(

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

I definitely intend to let the person in charge know that I'd be happy to supply a couple of shots for their newsletter/mailout thingo if they'd like. Not that interested in supplying them to all and sundry but I'm always supportive of our local groups!

I've done years at Pony Club, shows, Royals...I wouldn't be too worried about permission if you out of the way with long enough lense and what the pics are being used for.Its being a few foot away continuously snapping children that would have parent's start to wonder who you are.

If you were taking a pic of my child on her pony, I would just be happy if you didn't publish online a clear view of her face, otherwise wouldn't worry me.I've got dozens of pics I've taken of Em with other kids managing to get into the shot through the background...wouldn't have a clue on who half these kids are but I just make sure they don't end up in public.

Well, I had a good time. Spent a great deal of time chatting instead of shooting :hug: And horrific light 80% of the time LOL super dark to super bright. Super fun. All participants had a fabulous time as did the spectators. Learned a lot on a variety of subjects. Well worth taking a little time and trying something new.

JUN10_116kja.jpg

Link to more