Whats The Best Way For Worming, Flea Treatment Etc?

I was given two options from my vet. One was an injection (could be $75 but it depends on the dogs weight). This would be done at 12 weeks, and another at 6 months and then the next wont be for a year. Or there is a monthly tablet (could be $30 she said). Apparently neither of those included all treatments. I left with a bit of information that didn't make a lot of sense (i also was holding a hyper puppy! I may ring them and get it with out the distraction) , all i know is she will have to have it when she is 12 weeks old.

Just wondering what treatments you use or what you find best?

Is there a good treatment that covers all (the main ones)?

I want a method that will work but also isn't highly expensive either.

with our old dog (this was years ago) i think she had a tablet but it was a nightmare to get her to eat them (fussy thing!) and a squirt of something to the back of her neck. My new puppy appears to eat anything so tablets shouldn't be as hard!

any advice, welcomed. thanks.

Edited by goldee

It all depends on what you need to treat, Im using monthly interceptor chews for Lexi (although they are safe to give every 6 weeks rather than every 4) as far as I know this is the only heart/intestinal wormer that treats ALL intestinal worms, I think some of the other brands treat all bar one or something odd, the other question is do you need to treat for fleas and or ticks? an alternative to interceptor is sentinal which is the same as interceptor but it includes a flea treatment (and its a lot more $$$ to buy) I need to treat Lexi for ticks in summer but not fleas so I get Advantix and she gets that through the summer months, advantix treats fleas, ticks and has something in there for mozzies too

I dont think you will find anyone on here who will recommend the heartworm shot, Tess is still on that but once it wears off Ill be putting her on interceptor too

Look around online for this stuff too, its usually much cheaper than it would be at the vets or a petstore (unless they are having a sale)

Advocate doesnt treat tapeworm

Advocate for dogs kills fleas, prevents heartworm, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm and controls mange and lice with a monthly topical application.

Use for:

Treatment and prevention of fleas (ctenocephalides spp.): Advocate reduces the incidence of flea allergy dermatitis. Larval flea stages are killed in the surroundings of Advocate treated pets.

The prevention of heartworm (dirofilaria immitis) infection.

I use Interceptor to cover all the worms and heartworm. When had Theo checked out the vet herself preferred the monthly chew over the injection due to worries over the vaccine. Then I use Advantix for fleas, ticks, and mossies. Here in Brisbane it's been a bad mossie season and they carry heartworm so I'm improving the protection. It's pretty expensive though which is a downer and the top spot stuff causes a bit of a mess on a smooth coated dog. the Interceptor comes as tasty chews so no probs as they are snaffled up.

I use Interceptor Spectrum as an all-round worm treatment. Advantix is used when we go on holidays, or if my kids ever get fleas. (Which I'm hoping they will never get)

If you do have cats or smaller animals, you will have to keep the dog separated from them after application though as some substances in it is toxic to them. Or you could use Frontline Plus or Advantage (doesn't cover ticks).

I like Sentinel and use it on my mums dog... I haven't needed to use anything else for fleas at mums.

For me and my boyfriends dog I use Revolution and canex.. I buy the 6 month pack and for me it is the cheapest way to cover him for everything..had a few more fleas there so Interceptor is not so good.

Edited by karly101

Advocate for dogs kills fleas, prevents heartworm, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm and controls mange and lice with a monthly topical application.

Use for:

Treatment and prevention of fleas (ctenocephalides spp.): Advocate reduces the incidence of flea allergy dermatitis. Larval flea stages are killed in the surroundings of Advocate treated pets.

true but it treats fleas which is where they get the tapeworms from.

I use Interceptor then just flea treat if I need to with Advantix. I wouldn't use the heartworm injection if I was paid to.

Use for:

true but it treats fleas which is where they get the tapeworms from.

I use Interceptor then just flea treat if I need to with Advantix. I wouldn't use the heartworm injection if I was paid to.

Ahh good to know, I always wondered why the other brands didnt cover all worms lol

I don't use any of the monthly products. I worm 2 or 3 times a year and treat the dogs with Advantage if they get fleas which is very rarely, I haven't had a flea on any of my dogs for 3 years. I only give Heartgard during the summer months.

If you live in a tick free area with cold winters and your dog seldom if ever has fleas I can't see the point of giving a cocktail of chemicals every month to treat a problem the dog probably doesn't have.

I would never, ever use the heartworm injection.

I use advocate, and I do do them with a taperwormer tablet 3 monthly as we are on a farm as the tapewormer does hydatid tapeworms, which don't come from fleas.

I would not recommend the yearly heartworm injection

I don't use any of the monthly products. I worm 2 or 3 times a year and treat the dogs with Advantage if they get fleas which is very rarely, I haven't had a flea on any of my dogs for 3 years. I only give Heartgard during the summer months.

If you live in a tick free area with cold winters and your dog seldom if ever has fleas I can't see the point of giving a cocktail of chemicals every month to treat a problem the dog probably doesn't have.

I would never, ever use the heartworm injection.

X2

I see no point in treating dogs for things they don't have. If you have a fecal test done you can find out if your dog even has worms; if you see flea dirt during grooming you can treat for fleas - if they dog rarely has them and only picks them up after a visit to the vet or something then capstar might be appropriate.

Heartworm and ticks are the only biggies and do you even have these where you live?

I would never give another dog the proheart injection (none of mine had problems, but just not for me)

X2

I see no point in treating dogs for things they don't have. If you have a fecal test done you can find out if your dog even has worms; if you see flea dirt during grooming you can treat for fleas - if they dog rarely has them and only picks them up after a visit to the vet or something then capstar might be appropriate.

Heartworm and ticks are the only biggies and do you even have these where you live?

I would never give another dog the proheart injection (none of mine had problems, but just not for me)

Exactly! If dog owners are still giving annual vaccinations plus the Proheart injection and then flea/tick/worm treatments on a monthly basis that's one hell of a chemical overload IMO. If heartworm and ticks are endemic to your area then definitely use a preventative, but if they're not why do it?

I use Interceptor for all worms including heart-worm, and Advantix for ticks, fleas and mozzies.

I use the Advantix fortnightly in summer and monthly in winter as we live in a tick area. I have only ever seen one flea and it was a groggy one presumably from the Advantix.

I buy my stuff from Aussie Vet Products online shop.

I was given two options from my vet. One was an injection (could be $75 but it depends on the dogs weight). This would be done at 12 weeks, and another at 6 months and then the next wont be for a year. Or there is a monthly tablet (could be $30 she said). Apparently neither of those included all treatments. I left with a bit of information that didn't make a lot of sense (i also was holding a hyper puppy! I may ring them and get it with out the distraction) , all i know is she will have to have it when she is 12 weeks old.

Just wondering what treatments you use or what you find best?

Is there a good treatment that covers all (the main ones)?

I want a method that will work but also isn't highly expensive either.

with our old dog (this was years ago) i think she had a tablet but it was a nightmare to get her to eat them (fussy thing!) and a squirt of something to the back of her neck. My new puppy appears to eat anything so tablets shouldn't be as hard!

any advice, welcomed. thanks.

The injection that your vet has mentioned is for heartworm only. It wont cover anything else, it is very expensive, you will still have to give a 3 monthly intestinal wormer (and personally I would never do it due to the associated risks).

We use Intercepter here, (one every 6 weeks) which covers heartworm and intestinal worms. We've never had a flea problem so i don't treat for that (though you could try Sentinal if you have fleas in your area, or think you may come into contact with them. It wont kill fleas but will stop them breeding if any land on your dog).

Interceptor is also quite cost effective. Depending on the size of your dog it works out to be approx $55-$85 per year. Sentinal is a little more expensive at $125-$155. Still, it is MUCH cheaper than giving the injection + intestinal wormers 3-4 times per year + flea treatment!

As you're in SA you really dont need to worry about ticks. Heartworm, I'm in two minds about.. I'd prefer not to but we are in an area that seems to be infested with mozzies (near the river) so I'm not willing to risk it without more info. The city may be different?..

I'm not keen on the spot ons either. They are toxic to cats and if I remember correctly there was a story about a dog who lay down in it's crate after treatment and the spot on melted the plastic tray!! Not sure that's something I'd like to use on my dogs skin!

I get my stuff from here: http://www.petcareshop.com.au/index.php?cPath=24 :o

I dont use anything. They get an allwormer that does hydatids if they're eating raw bunny that has not been frozen or processed or if we go bush where there are deer.

On the rare occasion I have seen a flea then I use frontline. I think they've only ever had spot on treatment 3 times in their whole lives. I'm in Geelong so I dont bother with heartworm and the only time I go north is in the dead of winter.