Inverted Eyelashes

Labkisses

Hi guys

We have a puppy who had watery eyes for a few days, he is acting normal in all other areas (playing, biting, running etc) so we took him to the vet.

The vet said it may be conjunctivitus - but because other pups were not affected it was unlikely. She said that the pup may have inverted eyelashes and gave us some ointment to put in his eyes twice a day.

We've been doing this for the last 5 days, they dont seem like they've improved so we're thinking it is inverted eyelashes.

My questions are:

1. Could it be something else thats making his eyes water?

2. Have you experienced puppies with inverted eyelash problems?

3. If so, what was the treatment and how did the pup recover?

4. Is this common in labradors?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys

We have a puppy who had watery eyes for a few days, he is acting normal in all other areas (playing, biting, running etc) so we took him to the vet.

The vet said it may be conjunctivitus - but because other pups were not affected it was unlikely. She said that the pup may have inverted eyelashes and gave us some ointment to put in his eyes twice a day.

We've been doing this for the last 5 days, they dont seem like they've improved so we're thinking it is inverted eyelashes.

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

You can see inverted or double eye lashes with teh naked eye.

Yes it could be something else including an over active tear duct which usually settles down.

How old is the pup and what breed?

Hi guys

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

You can see inverted or double eye lashes with teh naked eye.

Yes it could be something else including an over active tear duct which usually settles down.

How old is the pup and what breed?

Puppy is 5weeks old and labrador.

Vet said that she saw the eyelashes do go in to a degree, but didnt actually say "yes she has inverted eyelashes". Hence the reason she gave us the ointment for conjunctivitus.

Perhaps I should get a second opinion from another vet?

Hi - did /do any of her bloodline have entropion ( where the eylids roll inwards) or distichiasis (abnormal growth of the eyelashes) ? from memory, both are hereditary to a degree.

if you are not satisfied , by all means see another vet- as, if it IS a case of lashes rubbing on the eye surface - there is a chance of ulcers forming. If it is a tearduct problem- then it may need fixing ... and if it is entropion etc it may need surgical intervention.

It's been a while since I have had first hand experience - but I don't like to muck around with eye problems.

If puppy does have entropion, then being so young your vet, or preferably one that is experienced, could try eye tacking: http://www.drjwv.com/faq/?view=12&name=Eye Tacking

This is often performed on shar pei pups from as early as 3wks old. The earlier it is done the better. I don't think it is a common problem with labs, but not unheard of either.

Edited by badboyz

Hi, I had my vet check my puppy at age 8 weeks as she also had watery eyes,( clear and not causing any redness to her eyes) my vet said that it was because her eye lids were, at that stage rolled into the corner and over her tear duct and as she grows and her face fills out all would be fine 2 months later it simply cleared up.

No treatment . No entropion or distichiasis.

IMHO 5 weeks is far to early to make a call on entropion unless of course it was very severe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again all,

An update on the little pup with suspected entropion. After seeing 2 vets he is showing mild signs of entropion. His eyes started to get swollen and so we took him back to the vets straight away. He is now on antibiotics and an eye ointment to help with the inflammation. He's been on this treatment for 2 days now and although it doesn't look to be getting worse, it doesn't look better either.

Now I have just noticed a big lump the size of a big marble on the side of his face (upper cheek under his ear) and its only just appeared within a couple of hours!

What is going on to this poor puppy?!? :laugh: We are booked into the vets first thing in the morning but I'm worried about him now.

Anyone had this occur before? He is supposed to be going to his new home next week and flights have been booked for him :laugh:

Dear Labkisses - very sorry to hear of the difficulties you have encountered with your puppy.

My experience of breeding and exhibiting Labrador Retrievers spans 30+ years.

During that time I have bred two puppies (males) that have been diagnosed with mild entropian.

In both cases the veterinary strategy was as follows:

Retain the puppy until 10-12 weeks of age soas to allow the head to "grow".

That possibly may alter the placement of the eye structure and hence the lower eyelid and eyelashes.

Where no improvement occurs surgery to adjust the lower eye lid was performed.

This involves removing a small moon shaped piece of skin from below the lower eyelid and then stitching the incision.

Which effectively draws the lower eyelid down away from the eye and rolls the eyelashes outwards.

Of the two puppies we bred one simply grew out of it - the second required surgery.

Both were held back until 16 weeks of age and then sold as pets only - not to be bred from.

Those puppies would be 10 and 15 years old now and both led perfectly normal happy lives.

But I would suggest that there is no way this puppy of yours will be ready to send to new owners in a matter of weeks.

Ah the joys of breeding - all part of the learning curve unfortunately.

Best of luck for a successful outcome.