Litters Due July 2010

Partipaws

Well I've just rushed Faith to the vet and it looks like we might be losing the whole litter.

She is day 52 and i noticed a black discharge this morning after she wouldn't get up.

Vet recommended c section and aborting the whole litter, as he said there is obviously at least 1 dead, leaving the rest of the uterus a toxic environment (aren't they all in their own sacs???).

Going to do ultrasound and see what comes up.

Vet just rang. He could see quite a few puppies, but could not find any heart beats. She will be having a c section now.

I am devastated. This is only my 4th litter, but I've had no complications before.

:) :rolleyes: :laugh:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh no! I am so sorry to hear your sad news! After all that time and excitement and now it seems like it is all fallen apart!

I am so sorry - I can not find the right words at the moment, but I just feel so badly for you right now! You still sound as though you are in the early stages of your breeding program like me, so experiencing this so early in the peace would be just devastating!

I really wish and pray that there is still hope - At least you picked this up early as your girl would be at great risk, so at least you have good chances at getting through all this with your girls health being ok.

Sending you a big hug :o I am so sorry again :o

Thanks for the well wishes, it has been a rough day. :party:

Well we have Faith home now, but none of the litter could be saved. Massive uterine infection and some necrotic puppies, possibly the first one dying early on could have led to the decline of the rest. Swabs are being sent away to determine WHY. Vet thinks infection could have started as early as mating with bacteria being introduced by the male. But wont know till results are back in about 3 days.

I spent the afternoon crying on and off, and wondering if it was me that caused it, but when they brought Faith out at the vets and she was so perky and wagging her tail I felt so much better. She is on AB's, swabs will confirm she's on the correct ones, so hopefully Faith will make a full recovery.

Its been such a roller coaster day, and the main thing is that Faith is ok, but it is hard when your whole life pretty much revolves around thinking about the puppies, and you feel like they are already part of the family before they are even born.

We will try again next year and hopefully things will go better. My 2 pups will be old enough then too, so it will be an eventful year.

I wish everyone well for July and sincerely hope there is no more sadness in the new month. of course I'll be checking in to see everyone else beautiful babies.

Jodie

Oh jodie - again I am just lost for words and just can not imagine what sort of pain you are in at the moment. I truly am so sorry this has happened - it's not good at all, especially when it should be a very exciting time and there has been such a build up to the arrival of the litter :party:

I guess you do have to thank your lucky stars that your girl is well.

Did you use your own boy or use an outside stud? My litter in december started off this way, my girl got an infection which we presume was from mating. A few breeder friends told me to put any of my girls that I send off to be mated to outsides studs, to put them on a course of AB before they leave and when they come back? I have not tried this yet, but considering your case it might just help prevent this happening again.

I hope your girl is doing fine and makes a full recovery.

Take care.

Jess xo

I used my own boy, but I only got him this year, and he fell deathly ill from a suspected worm infestation the first week I had him (long story). It certainly explained the haste of his previous owner with getting him to me.

I was told that he had only ever been mated to 1 dog, and she has recently had a healthy litter.

Thanks for the tip about the AB's, will certainly bring this up with my vet.

Going to cuddle up with Faith now. :party:

must be in the air, one of my girls aborted a dead pup and I am pretty sure the rest are going to follow.

Just got her on Abs and been warned to keep my other girl awy from her due to infection, it is going to be a long night

Oh Natz, I hope the AB's do the trick. It must be something with this month, have you read the June thread? Quite a bit of sadness. I'm hoping that with a new month all this badness will disappear.

Maybe there is some hope since the pup is aborted, Faith's problem was that the dead one's were still inside her. I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Thanks for your thoughts Amstaff.

Faith is really not her self yet, but no wonder with what she has been through. I honestly think she thinks she's in season. She growled at me today (very strange) because I had her separated from the other 3, so I let her out. She kept standing at my boy with her tail lifted, and he attempted to mount her. All were quickly separated again, which Faith is not happy about. Poor thing, hormones must be going haywire.

post-34861-1277886891_thumb.jpgpost-34861-1277886900_thumb.jpg

must be in the air, one of my girls aborted a dead pup and I am pretty sure the rest are going to follow.

Just got her on Abs and been warned to keep my other girl awy from her due to infection, it is going to be a long night

Natz ..so sorry to hear your terrible news .. :laugh: .I hope the remaining pups go full term. Only a short while ago the same thing happened with one of my friends ..Dam went on to deliver 3 healthy pups 10 days later ...everybody were truly amazed including vet .... Dreadful start to our July thread

last pup one little dead boy. at least she has passed them all. First one a yucky mess then 2 fully

formed pups just too early.

i hope this isnt a sign to come. Still got my other girl due on the 12th. Have been warned to keep

her away from this one due to the risk of infection.

Now lots of ABs and I hope when her milk comes in all goes well.

last pup one little dead boy. at least she has passed them all. First one a yucky mess then 2 fully

formed pups just too early.

i hope this isnt a sign to come. Still got my other girl due on the 12th. Have been warned to keep

her away from this one due to the risk of infection.

Now lots of ABs and I hope when her milk comes in all goes well.

Awww Natz :( So sorry to hear the bad news ..Poor little early angels . :heart:: is Mum the girl that had the bad anal gland ?? I hope your other girl continues to keep well ..

No it wasnt the girl with the problem anal glands it is the other one

maybe it was good Hope has been on ABs for the past week,they

both were scanned yesterday Hope has 2 pups so my fingers and

toes are crossed with her.

I am really sorry to hear your news with your girl Natz - what an ordeal for both you and your girl.

RIP little puppies :(:heart:

I hope your girl makes a speedy recovery - and sending all the good vibes I can find to your other girl expecting!

I sure do hope this month improves with some good news from the other members expecting litters. We have certainly had a rough start so far with some very sad stories - my heart goes out to both Jodie and Natz!