The Nova Scotia Duck Toller Tell His Funny Quirks

Jason Cyr

Since the Toller is more of a rare breed, I figured I would ask people to list the quirks and funny things about the Toller’s. I was curious to see what was common across owners.

London 1 year & 1 month old

- He does not do well in the heat, he will make the extra effort to find shade in the summer.

- He has the shifty eyes; it can be both cute and spooky sometimes.

- For some reason he doesn’t like the white at the end of his tale and chews it off.

post-34749-1276034795_thumb.png

Edited by Jason Cyr

What is the shifty eyes?

He sounds like a cutie though... need some pics :)

Shifty eyes, you know when he’s lying down, sitting there looking at you from the corner of his eye. He won’t move his head or his body just the eyes. He also loves to role in the mud or dirt when he gets out of the water.

post-34749-1276034538_thumb.png

Edited by Jason Cyr

I have a couple of vocal ones. In attempt to encourage my youngest to be non vocal I now get air snaps where its like she is attempting to say something but knows she has to be quiet about it :o

Mine are all food obsessed ;)

They all must lay on the bed where I want to lie.

Pillows are for tollers not humans

The toilet door must remain open - if you attempt to close it - it will be nudged open by somebody with a red nose :(

Water coming out the end of the hose or sprinkler is the bestest game in the whole wide world for a red head

Countersurfing should be part of the breed standard

Repetition in training is a sign that they have done something not quiet right so they change what they are offering whether you wanted it or not

I am sure I can come up with some more........

I have a couple of vocal ones. In attempt to encourage my youngest to be non vocal I now get air snaps where its like she is attempting to say something but knows she has to be quiet about it :hug:

Mine are all food obsessed ;)

They all must lay on the bed where I want to lie.

Pillows are for tollers not humans

The toilet door must remain open - if you attempt to close it - it will be nudged open by somebody with a red nose :)

Water coming out the end of the hose or sprinkler is the bestest game in the whole wide world for a red head

Countersurfing should be part of the breed standard

Repetition in training is a sign that they have done something not quiet right so they change what they are offering whether you wanted it or not

I am sure I can come up with some more........

OMG, mine also goes insane for the sprinklers and the water hose, it can be a pain if your trying to wash the car.

They sound adorable!!! And are certainly beautiful looking dogs... I would LOVE to meet one in the flesh one day.... :laugh:

Are you in QLD? There's plenty up there!

Hi Staff'n'Toller - yep i'm in QLD - Brisbane area!! I really love the look of this breed, but know so little about them!!! Would love to meet up with a breeder to learn more!!!

• 2 weeks later...
They sound adorable!!! And are certainly beautiful looking dogs... I would LOVE to meet one in the flesh one day.... :cry:

If you're interested, I just added a blog the TheToller.com , we are going to be adding a post geared towards people considering a Toller.

It should be up there this weekend, check it out.

I would love to meet a Toller as well! :( I don't really know much about them but they are gorgeous dogs. :cry:

LOL, my beagle makes a grunting sound too... especially when she's excited or waiting for food. :rofl:

I would love to meet a Toller as well! :( I don't really know much about them but they are gorgeous dogs. :cry:

LOL, my beagle makes a grunting sound too... especially when she's excited or waiting for food. :rofl:

Yeah, mine seems to make that noise when he’s frustrated.

Our little Kodiak Bear (who goes by the names of The Bear, Tolltastic, Tolleriffic, Tolltacular and "hey you get the hell out of the kitchen") is our first Toller, she turns 2 on friday. She is a backchatter (awooooo-WOOOOOOOO!), tells you off for about 45 minutes after you get home.

If she is hungry she belts her food bowl against the floor until we walk over, then backchats if we take it away from her.

She talks in her sleep, if she has a bad dream (well, starts crying and shaking while she is asleep) and you wake her up she comes tearing over for a hug and then whimpers for the first 10 minutes until the bad dream is forgotten. She doesn't do that if you just wake her up normally

She loves holes - she'll either make her own and stick her head down it or just stick her head down whatever hole that she sees when we are out wandering around (particularly at the snow)

She loves the snow, rubs herself into it frantically. Gets offended while we are down there because she has to toilet while she is on the lead.

She is mental for all sorts of food, her pupils dilate when she sees it and she starts panicking that she wont get it. If I am chewing gum she put her face up close to mine and if given the opportunity would extract it. She stacks her kongs up in the same place every day when she is done with them

She loves to hold paws, just while we are sitting around. She will paw at your hand until you take her paw and then will sit beside you for hours, with her paw in your hand.

When I study she has to have a chair beside mine (the bear chair) so she can help, if I dont put it there she whines until I get up and move it. She is fascinated listening to my lectures, particularly when they are about bird behaviour and there are the sounds of bird calls. Recently she noticed my chewing my fingernail when I was cramming for an exam and as soon as I put my hand down she grabbed it and started to chew my fingernails. Thankfully she got over that one.

She is absolutely our baby and will spend hours just being cuddled. She falls off things with great regularity (the couch, the bed, etc) and it doesn't phase her in the slightest even though all the humans and our other dog Doofus are laughing at her. She is also very strict on people not touching her fancy pants or tail, thats personal!

She is absolutely the sweetest, nicest dog and I couldn't imagine my life without her. We could never thank her breeders enough for trusting us with The Bear.

Our little Kodiak Bear (who goes by the names of The Bear, Tolltastic, Tolleriffic, Tolltacular and "hey you get the hell out of the kitchen") is our first Toller, she turns 2 on friday. She is a backchatter (awooooo-WOOOOOOOO!), tells you off for about 45 minutes after you get home.

If she is hungry she belts her food bowl against the floor until we walk over, then backchats if we take it away from her.

She talks in her sleep, if she has a bad dream (well, starts crying and shaking while she is asleep) and you wake her up she comes tearing over for a hug and then whimpers for the first 10 minutes until the bad dream is forgotten. She doesn't do that if you just wake her up normally

She loves holes - she'll either make her own and stick her head down it or just stick her head down whatever hole that she sees when we are out wandering around (particularly at the snow)

She loves the snow, rubs herself into it frantically. Gets offended while we are down there because she has to toilet while she is on the lead.

She is mental for all sorts of food, her pupils dilate when she sees it and she starts panicking that she wont get it. If I am chewing gum she put her face up close to mine and if given the opportunity would extract it. She stacks her kongs up in the same place every day when she is done with them

She loves to hold paws, just while we are sitting around. She will paw at your hand until you take her paw and then will sit beside you for hours, with her paw in your hand.

When I study she has to have a chair beside mine (the bear chair) so she can help, if I dont put it there she whines until I get up and move it. She is fascinated listening to my lectures, particularly when they are about bird behaviour and there are the sounds of bird calls. Recently she noticed my chewing my fingernail when I was cramming for an exam and as soon as I put my hand down she grabbed it and started to chew my fingernails. Thankfully she got over that one.

She is absolutely our baby and will spend hours just being cuddled. She falls off things with great regularity (the couch, the bed, etc) and it doesn't phase her in the slightest even though all the humans and our other dog Doofus are laughing at her. She is also very strict on people not touching her fancy pants or tail, thats personal!

She is absolutely the sweetest, nicest dog and I couldn't imagine my life without her. We could never thank her breeders enough for trusting us with The Bear.

Yeah I feel the same way about mine, he's like my little man. I would love to see pictures post them on TheToller.com

They all seem to have that snow obsession, it's pretty mine is like a little croc when I throw it at him.

Edited by Jason Cyr

They all seem to have that snow obsession, it's pretty mine is like a little croc when I throw it at him.

Its a bit harder for them to have a snow obsession in Australia - there is only one place in the whole country where you can take dogs to the snow. Ours were not impressed with the 8-10 hour car ride down to it!!!!

What is the shifty eyes?

He sounds like a cutie though... need some pics :rofl:

Shifty eyes, you know when he’s lying down, sitting there looking at you from the corner of his eye. He won’t move his head or his body just the eyes. He also loves to role in the mud or dirt when he gets out of the water.

My Golden Retriever does that. :(

Here's a Toller flying a hot air balloon.

post-9025-1277255397_thumb.jpg

What is the shifty eyes?

Oh wow where was that taken?

What is the shifty eyes?

Oh wow where was that taken?

Canberra Balloon Festival.