Resolved

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have experience with using eye drops for cataracts in their dogs? Was it successful? Is there any particular brand you would suggest that's worked well for you?

If not, what is your opinion on using this treatment for the early stages of cataracts?

I checked up about these and two specilaists told me they were of no use in cataracts.One stated they were quakery.The other said they were for another condidition that did not involve surgery anyway.But not for cataracts, although they are marketed that way.

Common sense tells me that if they were really efective, they would be used more,especially if an operation was not possible.

I had the cataract surgery done on my dog, and was told the earlier the surgery is done the better outcome.My dog's cataracts were very hard to remove and hindered her recovery, causing inflammation in the eye because of that.

I do know someone who uses the drops though, and swears they work, but did admit she has to use them many times a day, and knows that a lot of people using them have no success.They are expensive to buy too.Her vet supplies them to her.

Some people mistake any cloudiness in the eyes for cataracts.

We have an old girl whom I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away, she is a Jack russel and recently diagnosed with cataracts. We currently use maxidex eye drops once or twice a day as needed. She is just too old to under go the surgery to have them removed. She seems to be doinf well this way. Hope this helps :(