My Maltese Is Getting De-sexed Tomorrow :(

I have read many comments on this board about de-sexing, nearly all suggest it should be done unless the dog is used for breeding.

But i feel so guilty. The operation is tomorrow on Saturday 11/06/10 but all this week i have been looking at my pup (11 month old) and feeling like i am betraying him by doing this to him.

I am sure other people felt the same about doing the operation.

Please tell me how you re-assured your selves that what you are doing is not bad, and to not feel guilty.

And how quickly did your dog bounce back?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did feel bad for getting my boy done too, but the fact is, it needs to be done. It only took him 24 hours to bounce back.

To be honest, I would have more trouble getting a female dog done as I know how strong the need to mother was in me when I was wanting babies and I'd feel terribly guilty taking away any living creatures ability to fullfill those maternal urges. Obviously my head says it is not the same for a dog but my heart feels differently! (Luckily I never have had a female dog except Lucy who was already done)

Edited by Lucy's mama

Theres no need to feel guilty :laugh:!! You aren't hurting your dog. He really won't know the difference one way or the other.

The way I think about it, my dogs, they're awesome but they're animals. When my boy goes to the vet to get desexed (he's only 5 months), he won't come back and say "Mum how could you chop off my man bits you awful person!!!" because he's a dog. He'll think "oh. Im a little itchy here..." And thats it. He won't know the difference.

He will be back on his feet in a few days and you'll have your hands full in keeping him still before the stitches come out :thumbsup:

Your pooch will be perfectly fine.

People and animal get operated on every day of the week. Everyone bounces back to normal. Just give him lots of cuddles and treats and probably in a matter of 2 - 3 days you'll see him back to his bouncy self. He may be a little groggy when you first pick him up but they are tough little cookies. :thumbsup:

You will probably be giving him a longer life by reducing the risk of prostate issues. My older GSD was desexed following prostate issues. The rottie before him had prostate issues which eventually resulted in his death.

I didn't feel bad or guilty, he's a dog, he recovered very quickly, he didn't hate me or the vet staff - heck he just wanted to play and bounce around. All you are doing is being a responsible owner for numerous good reasons...and if you think he's giving you the eye tell him he has you to thank for never getting testicular cancer :thumbsup:

I have read many comments on this board about de-sexing, nearly all suggest it should be done unless the dog is used for breeding.

But i feel so guilty. The operation is tomorrow on Saturday 11/06/10 but all this week i have been looking at my pup (11 month old) and feeling like i am betraying him by doing this to him.

Please tell me how you re-assured your selves that what you are doing is not bad, and to not feel guilty.

do you realise that the 11/6/2010 is today friday, have you got your days mixed up.

I can't say that I have ever felt guilty having my male or female dogs desexed.

there quality of life is greatly improved by the fact that we don't have hormones rageing and reduced risk of several cancers and other medical conditions.

There is another benefit with neutering some males and that is the lessening of dominance issues. Terriers can be stroppy little so and so's and our first Aussie wasn't neutered until he was 2 1/2. It made some difference but he was always a little bitter & twisted. Oliver, our new Aussie, was done around 6 months and he has kept his sweet puppy nature. He's grown up without feelong he has anything to prove. Oh, both recovered very quickly - within 24 hours.

To be honest, I would have more trouble getting a female dog done as I know how strong the need to mother was in me when I was wanting babies and I'd feel terribly guilty taking away any living creatures ability to fullfill those maternal urges.

That is your personal feelings .

I am a female & have no urge to be a mother.

We have had bitches here who would have killed there pups given a chance & one did & others who are obsessive & those who are great.

Female doesnt equate to wanting babies & i can guarantee of the many bitches we have owned many would never have been good mothers nor those who havent had litters damaged by being spayed.

People need to seperate there own emotions to what is reality.

Great to see other Maltese owners :thumbsup:

Don't worry about feeling guilty - your looking out for his well-being! Try not to anthropomorphise too much :laugh: Your being a responsible owner both looking out for the health of your dog and the ultimate well being of dogs everywhere by reducing the overpopulation problem. Dog's don't need to have puppies to feel complete :) He will be just as happy being neutered in fact more so as he won't get worked up when he smells an in season girl.

My little girl was desexed at 9 months, she felt abit sorry for herself but was soon back to her crazy self :laugh:

To be honest, I would have more trouble getting a female dog done as I know how strong the need to mother was in me when I was wanting babies and I'd feel terribly guilty taking away any living creatures ability to fullfill those maternal urges.

That is your personal feelings .

I am a female & have no urge to be a mother.

We have had bitches here who would have killed there pups given a chance & one did & others who are obsessive & those who are great.

Female doesnt equate to wanting babies & i can guarantee of the many bitches we have owned many would never have been good mothers nor those who havent had litters damaged by being spayed.

People need to seperate there own emotions to what is reality.

Yes, which is why I also wrote in that very same paragraph

Obviously my head says it is not the same for a dog but my heart feels differently!

I was simply acknowledging that we can feel bad about something despite knowing it is for the best.

do you realise that the 11/6/2010 is today friday, have you got your days mixed up.

I can't say that I have ever felt guilty having my male or female dogs desexed.

there quality of life is greatly improved by the fact that we don't have hormones rageing and reduced risk of several cancers and other medical conditions.

I meant Saturday

Not all bitches are maternal, and honestly, that ones that are do not have maternal urges till the pups pop out, so how can they know what they are missing out on?

Not all bitches are maternal, and honestly, that ones that are do not have maternal urges till the pups pop out, so how can they know what they are missing out on?

Perhaps read the whole paragraph? I acknowledged that it is not logical - it is purely emotional.

ETA I act on logic, not emotion. Doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that the emotion is there.

Edited by Lucy's mama

Perhaps read the whole paragraph? I acknowledged that it is not logical - it is purely emotional.

Dogs do not have human emotions.