Pepper's Butt Lump

This week's mystery lump is courtesy of Pepper :thumbsup:

It's come up very quickly and I have an appointment with the vet tonight... just thought I'd see what you guys think it might be.

Pepper is a female Chinese Crested and is 9 years old. Generally very healthy, no arthritis or other age problems.

Here are pics of the lump ... it doesn't seem to bother her, she's not licking at it or anything, but she doesn't want me to touch it.

2004_0224june110041.jpg2004_0224june110040.jpg

Edited by yellowgirl

Thanks guys. I had thought it might be an impacted anal gland too but she hasn't been scooting or bothering it at all :thumbsup: . Maybe it does hurt but she's just being a brave little old girl.

We're seeing the vet at 6.30 tonight.

How is Pepper today?

I tried to send you a PM...you better go and clean up your inbox, it's full!!

Will you be at your shop this arvo?? We probably going to Adelaide and thought i'd drop in and say hi.Do you still want fleecy material?

Hope to see you later.....

she's probably not scooting because it's too painful to sit on.

If it is an anal gland they can come up VERY quickly.

Not 100% sure though :laugh: still thinking....................................................

Full marks for everyone! Yep it was an infected anal gland (which very helpfully decided to pop the minute I got to the vet's and picked Pepper up to get her out of the car ...... eeeeewwwwww!!!)

For all those who like my medical pics, here is the after shot ....

2004_0225june110002.jpg

Pepper's now on pain relief and antibiotics. She was such a brave girl! Hardly said boo when the vet was ... erm... draining it. By the time we got home I had a lovely multicoloured shirt of blood and pus ... double eeeewwww!!

Aaaaaand.... no need to wait for the next exciting episode of 'How Jo financed the vet's next holiday'! Here it is! ....

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=198194

IW4ME, I'm happy to send you the shirt as a prize :laugh: . Obviously I didn't soak it long enough and it's now in the rag bag ... looks disgusting!

Tez, I don't have any idea what caused it. I've never had a dog with an impacted anal gland (and hope not to have one again :rofl: ) and it came up so quickly. I've heard that if they have an infection they can be prone to more trouble... I hope not. She's never had any trouble with them before, so it's a bit of a mystery.

Thanks for your input everyone :laugh:

IW4ME, I'm happy to send you the shirt as a prize :laugh: . Obviously I didn't soak it long enough and it's now in the rag bag ... looks disgusting!

Tez, I don't have any idea what caused it. I've never had a dog with an impacted anal gland (and hope not to have one again :rofl: ) and it came up so quickly. I've heard that if they have an infection they can be prone to more trouble... I hope not. She's never had any trouble with them before, so it's a bit of a mystery.

Thanks for your input everyone :laugh:

I guess I can do without a prize and it is a smell I'll never forget anyway. My older hound, Tigger, had chronic gastric problems for years - the end result being chronic anal gland issues. When the stools aren't firm enough, the glands don't express properly and impact and infect. The solution for Tigs was Hills z/d ultra prescription diet. We found he doesn't tolerate beef, lamb or chicken. No runs=no anal gland issues. Maybe your girl just needs more roughage in her diet to bulk up the stools. Good luck, it really is a miserable thing for a dog.