Dogs Reacting To Change Around The House

Over the weekend I swapped bedrooms, I live in a share house so when Pete is inside he spends the majority of the time in my room.

Pete really loved the guy that was in this room (he moved out on saturday) and I let Pete see the empty room and see me moving my things from my room to this room, but Sunday and again today he has been whinging a lot when he's in the room and a couple of times he's been at the door like he wants to get out. I know he doesn't need to go to the toilet and he has water in here. I fed him in here this morning to try and give him some positive feels about the place.

Just wondering if this is normal behaviour the whinging thing, and how long you think it will take him to get used to the change? Should I let him out into the backyard to just keep him with me in the room but ignore the whinging?

Thanks!

ADD: I should add that Pete does try whinging to get my attention - but I don't think it's the same as he is whinging when lying down whereas when it's for attention he's bouncing around the place whinging, but I am still trying to ignore the whinging because I'm hesitant to reward whinging at all.

Edited by Pete.the.dog

lol no advice but just want to make you feel loved with a reply since everyone else is distracted by the other thread going on lol. hope your pug advise comes soon, after 15pages surely it cant go on much longer :laugh:

I asked in your other thread but thought I'd ask here - what does he do if you let him out?

BTW - some threads will naturally get more responses than others. That's nothing to do with you, just who is online at the time and training/behaviourial threads can often take longer to get responses as fewer people feel they know how to help. You might have had more luck posting this in the training forum as not everyone who posts in there will see threads in General.

Edited by huski

In my experience, dogs can take a few days to a few weeks to adjust to this sort of thing.

We are renovating, so have been living and sleeping in different rooms at different times over the last two years. You need to encourage them to be in rooms that were previously off-limits, and encourage them out of the spaces they are used to being in.

Coconut seems to show a little anxiety when things are strange in her environment, but she does settle.

I asked in your other thread but thought I'd ask here - what does he do if you let him out?

BTW - some threads will naturally get more responses than others. That's nothing to do with you, just who is online at the time and training/behaviourial threads can often take longer to get responses as fewer people feel they know how to help. You might have had more luck posting this in the training forum as not everyone who posts in there will see threads in General.

Hi Huski, if I let him out he will just go lie down somewhere else, generally in hallway outside the bedroom door.

Re the responses - the post I made in the 'deleted' thread was tounge in cheek, and my OT thread started off about something different but then I thought I might as well open up the question to the OTers anyway, because I know a lot of OTers steer clear of General, and I do value their input.

Thanks, I think I will repost in Training if he's no better after a few days :laugh:

In my experience, dogs can take a few days to a few weeks to adjust to this sort of thing.

We are renovating, so have been living and sleeping in different rooms at different times over the last two years. You need to encourage them to be in rooms that were previously off-limits, and encourage them out of the spaces they are used to being in.

Coconut seems to show a little anxiety when things are strange in her environment, but she does settle.

Thanks Greytmate, I think I'll keep feeding him in my room for a couple of days then :laugh: