But I Think He Looks Skinny

:laugh: I know he's healthier on the slim side but I am used to my Ollie being fat and now I can feel his ribs and when I bath him he is so tiny under that thick coat.

When he eats he scoffs like he's starving. He's around 8kg's and I think he looks starved but others say he looks great.

I'm feeling odd.. like maybe the weight loss has gone too far. I'm thinking of feeding him twice a day instead of once but don't want to increase his weight, but just maintain it. I don't want him losing any more.

*sigh* I don't know what to do. I hate seeing them eat their food like they have been starving all day :(

He looks great, puggerup. I think you're just used to him being fat. Dogs are meant to have a waist and a tuck up, not be barrels on legs. Even pugs. :shhh:

You should be able to feel the last couple of ribs at least. On shorter coats you might even be able to see them. But that's just a sign of a dog in good condition (so long as it is muscular etc.)

Edited by Flye

I am no Pug expert but he looks lovely and healthy! I don't think he looks skinny....I think he looks just right. 8kg is a nice healthy weight, isn't it? My Older cavalier weighs 6.4kgs and I think he looks a little fat at times so have been paranoid about weighing/measuring his food periodically to make sure he stays as an optimum weight - but I think it's just his thick coat making him look big. My 20 week old pup is 5.5kgs+ (we was 5.5kg 2 weeks ago) so he's catching up quick.

I think Ollie is gorgeous :shhh:

Susan

Thanks everyone :shhh: I'm going to give sardines in spring water to him in the morning and his regular dinner. I don't think sardines will put weight on him will it?

I try giving dried vegies etc for snacks to chew on during the day but they aren't interested.

Thanks everyone :laugh: I'm going to give sardines in spring water to him in the morning and his regular dinner. I don't think sardines will put weight on him will it?

Anything will put weight on.

As long as you feed only 2% of his ideal body weight (this includes all food) then he should maintain. My older pugs are on 1.5% of their ideal body weight daily to maintain their ideal weight. (2 of them share a can of sardines and some veggies slops as a daily meal once or twice a week.)

He doesn't look skinny at all. People are always telling me my golden retriever is too skinny, because so many of them are overweight, but she's just right for her size and age. Can feel her ribs easily and she has a defined waist but she's far from being starved. You just need to adjust your perceptions :-) It takes time, but soon you'll be looking back at old photos thinking "how did I not notice that?"

Sardines are actually very oily and will definitely put weight on if you make them an addition to what you are already feeding him.

Take a deep breath, relax and think about how much freer your beautiful Pug must feel with all that weight shed!