Tips Please! Dog Pooping On Deck

Kirty

My new foster Dally is pooping and peeing on the deck. My deck is only small (may 5m x 2m) and its where the dog's cubby (bed) is. They also eat up there. The yard is huge and I don't care where they toilet down there, but not on my deck! I have cleaned it up several times with detergent but she keeps going there. Any tips to stop her?

Restrict the amount of space she has to the decking so that there is only room enough to reach her kennel, water and food. Dogs are less likely (depending on their upbringing) to soil the areas where they will sleep and eat.

When you are home you could quadron off the decking area altogether and keep an eye on her. When you see her toilet where she should be (in the yard) praise her and give her a treat.

Keep some of her most recent poop and put it in the yard where you want her to toilet. These are those times when I don't always collect every bit of poop from the yard, leaving at least one or two of the more recent ones.

Make sure that the detergent you're using to clean up is not ammonia based.

Edited by Erny

Its hard to block off the deck though because thats where my other dogs sleep. :rofl: And she will NOT toilet in front of me so I can't praise her when she goes. I might lots of beds out though to try and cover the whole deck. She does not toilet in her crate at night so thats a start. Can't lock her in there all day though! :D

Its hard to block off the deck though because thats where my other dogs sleep. :rofl: And she will NOT toilet in front of me so I can't praise her when she goes. I might lots of beds out though to try and cover the whole deck. She does not toilet in her crate at night so thats a start. Can't lock her in there all day though! :D

She will toilet when you are around - you don't have to have her right in front of you for her to do it. It will take your patience and a bit of inconvenience time wise, on your part, though.

I don't think "lots of beds" to cover whole deck will work. If she's not sleeping on them then it is not her sleeping area.

Re-arrange it so that the kennels aren't spaced out where the dogs have to have the whole of the decking.

My old boy does it when it's cold and wet because he's just old and lazy. Every time he does it I have a little grumble to myself and clean it up. It's no fun if someone's foot discovers it first :D .

Maybe you could try a move to sunny queensland :rofl:

Sorry, not much help, am I. Hopefully someone has a better plan.

I generally found with fosters that you would need to take them down to where you wanted them to toilet. Many of the fosters I would get would only toilet on concrete to start with because that is what they were used to.

I'm not what conditions she was being kept in before, but I suspect it might have been a yard because she paces a lot. Not sure. I have just put her in her crate (on the deck) and she has finally settled. Poor thing. I will let her out in an hour and get all the dogs to hang out on the grass, hopefully she will go then. She won't go on lead or when I'm watching. :rofl:

Perhaps she may have to have a day or two crated- with breaks for toilet (off the deck....every couple hours? When she does go.. then praise her..... and leave her free for an hour or so . If no action.. straight back into the crate ....wiat a while....... toilet opportunity offered.... and repeat :rofl:

I mixed some vinagar water and lemon juice and sprayed this around the borders of a similar sized paved area, worked like a treat.

I you are going to try on deck, do a little patch test first so that it doesnt affect your paint/deck oil . Also might be good to use a bit more lemon than vinagar.

Greg

well kirty,

sophie will go out for 20min and come back in like a rocket to pee in side on the carpet. like this morning. that b! in all senses of the word. did the same to the OH so she is banned in the morning. needs to stay out even if freezing.

so it aint gunna be easy.

Do you know, I don't think they have had much experience with grass! Tilly is totally freaked out by the grass - the way she walks on it is like a cat with wet paws!

The first few days she was here, she was crated whenever she wasn't with me. I would take her out and walk for up to an HOUR and she refused to go. She would hang on as long as she could, then end up peeing in the crate.

I totally agree they are definately not used to grass the one i have is the same however he is ok toiletting when we are there however he know has free run of the yard 100% of the time with my dogs.

When they first arrived here all they wanted to do was walk on concrete.

It certainly is long hard slog with these guys and sometimes i wonder if i did the right thing in taking them but otherwise they would have been put to sleep just don't know whats kinder for them.

Nelson they boy i have is going really well except he still HATES the lead but he just has to get used to it.

Its like having 8 week old puppies but they are fully grown....

Maybe she should not be allowed to watch any more pirate movies...no more poop deck thanks!

Seriously though, my friend had a similar situation with her rescue dog (hence our "poop deck" joking to lighten the atmosphere), and it was cleared up by a combination of good cleaning of the deck (she used Odor Off product from the pet shop) and containment and training on the leash down into the back yard. It worked, but from time to time still happens.

Good luck. It is really sad when it seems the dogs have been so neglected previously :laugh: